Sidmouth late night extra band

Could the floor spot singer refered to have been Jo ? Both the songs are in her repertoire and I have a vague memory of that late night extra (not drink induced memory vagueness as those who know me will realise, just time induced memory vagueness). It woukld have been the first year that I went to Sidmouth I think.

On "Len the bonesman", I was asked by him to provide some music in different rhythms for him to do a ten minute or so spot in the beach store (where the deck chairs were kept in the winter, under a garage I think and since demolished and replaced by flats, not the same as the SWEB building). We didn't really wok out before hand what he wanted so he was rather confused when I went into "Lord Inchiquin", but kept going and the public never caught on that he hadn't spotted the time change at first! I think it was later in the week that he was asked to do a spot at the LNE and wisely chose someone else to provide the music!

He died some years ago now and I am sure there was mention on Mudcat at the time with his family organising a proper wake for his folk friends.

Robin Madge

I was intrigued by Ralphie and Robin's replies re Len and googled ... and found the thread referred to . Len's surname was Davies, and he died in 2001... here's the thread (hope it helps)

http://www.mudcat.org/thread.cfm?threadid=32960#437520

And following on from that, having read it, I googled Len's name, and found this ...

http://www.tradartsteam.co.uk/workshops/moseleyfolk08/

His daughter Louisa has followed in her father's footsteps, and was giving workshops on playing the bones last year !

(And Robin, I think Ralphie had already indicated that Jo was the singer in question (although his memory obviously wasn't THAT hazy since he could remember who it was :rolleyes: ) )

Edited by Irene S

Hi All.

Was pleased to meet Ray the other day, and he provided me with the LNE recordings.. (Why does that make me happy!!?)

The recordings are a fair representation of the mayhem that went on that night!

They might one day see the light of day, but, I'm not sure if anyone would want to hear them.

Seriously, it is a lovely homage to Nigels memory.

Only Nigel could have persuaded such a disparate band of reprobates to concoct such a band in 5 days at a festival, when all the participants were busy with their own gigs.

But, that was how Nigel was. He said jump, and we all jumped!

Thanks Ray.

And RIP to Nigel and Len.

Ralph

Speaking of Pyewackett, I bought a couple of LP's (vinyl) of theirs > one was : " Ten Cents a Dance" ( I think that was the title) -- which I quite enjoyed. I would love to have it on CD or MP3. Does anyone know if any of their albums have been released in those formats?? ---thanks, Steven

Speaking of Pyewackett, I bought a couple of LP's (vinyl) of theirs > one was : " Ten Cents a Dance" ( I think that was the title) -- which I quite enjoyed. I would love to have it on CD or MP3. Does anyone know if any of their albums have been released in those formats?? ---thanks, Steven

"The Man in the Moon Drinks Claret" is on CD. Google it.