Tenor english sought

John Adey

John,

The Concertina Connection had a Crabb and an Aeola (circa 1934 but with rivet replacement action) for sale.

Good hunting,

Greg

Thanks Greg; I had spotted those. I'm sure they are superb instruments. The problem is that with current exchange rates - with the Euro not far from parity with the UK pound, plus import duties, the cost of those two is prohibitive.

I should also have said in my original posting that I'm looking for a vintage instrument. I know that Stagi do a tenor model.

My concertina is the Stagi tenor 48 key and I love it, but mostly because it's my only one. It has personality quirks that I've learned to live around, and no longer pay attention to, but become obvious when other people play it.

Recently I got to play my friend's Wheatstone, envy! Now I really want a better instrument....but I want a better one that's a tenor, since I adore the lower range, and have no need for the really high notes.

I saw the ones on Concertina Connection and drooled, but ouch. :blink:

Is an affordable, better-quality tenor 48 key something that actually exists, or am I just hallucinating?

I'm keeping an eye out too.

Norman makes a 45 key English tenor according to their web site:

tenor_english_new_model_big.jpg

You'd have to contact them for prices. Some of the other hybrid/midrange builders might make them too.

My concertina is the Stagi tenor 48 key and I love it, but mostly because it's my only one. It has personality quirks that I've learned to live around, and no longer pay attention to, but become obvious when other people play it.

Recently I got to play my friend's Wheatstone, envy! Now I really want a better instrument....but I want a better one that's a tenor, since I adore the lower range, and have no need for the really high notes.

Is an affordable, better-quality tenor 48 key something that actually exists, or am I just hallucinating?

Edited by Daniel Hersh

Glad you love your Stagi, but I note that you also envy your friend his/her Wheatstone.

Yes, those at Concertina connection are out of my reach too.

AS someone said to me the other day, 'happy hunting'.

Norman makes a 45 key English tenor according to their web site. You'd have to contact them for prices. Some of the other hybrid/midrange builders might make them too.

Thanks for the lead Daniel; I'll check that out.

I had aimed that more at Fern, since you said you wanted a vintage instrument. I believe that Norman makes only accordion-reeded "hybrids", but they seem to be to well liked.

Norman makes a 45 key English tenor according to their web site. You'd have to contact them for prices. Some of the other hybrid/midrange builders might make them too.

Thanks for the lead Daniel; I'll check that out.

The ones from Norman look quite lovely.... 45 key though, which 3 are gone from the 48? I'd assume the highest, correct? That would be fine, as I rarely use those anyway. Oh, I couldn't play Quince Dylan's High D....meh, I prefer that on fiddle anyway! :lol:

I haven't contacted about the price....I'm chicken. Besides, I'm not sure if I could really do it yet and I don't want to beg too much from my parents....though since it appears I may be driving the Yugo (yes, a 1987 Yugo, they're still around!) I might be able to work that angle...ha!

Any idea of an estimate of the cost? (the concertina, not the car. I know the latter already- it was free. :rolleyes: )

Fern--

I'd suggest that you just try to work up the courage to e-mail Andrew Norman and ask him the price. I have corresponded with him myself when I was clearly not a potential customer (just curious about something that only he could have known) and he was very friendly and helpful.

And I'm glad to hear that you play old-timey tunes on concertina! [thread creep alert...]

Daniel

The ones from Norman look quite lovely.... 45 key though, which 3 are gone from the 48? I'd assume the highest, correct? That would be fine, as I rarely use those anyway. Oh, I couldn't play Quince Dylan's High D....meh, I prefer that on fiddle anyway! :lol:

I haven't contacted about the price....I'm chicken. Besides, I'm not sure if I could really do it yet and I don't want to beg too much from my parents....though since it appears I may be driving the Yugo (yes, a 1987 Yugo, they're still around!) I might be able to work that angle...ha!

Any idea of an estimate of the cost? (the concertina, not the car. I know the latter already- it was free. :rolleyes: )

I spoke to Andrew Norman yesterday. He was very helpful and gave me lots of information about the construction - materials and method. His waiting time is 22 months and the cost of a tenor is £1595 - which seems very reasonable. If you look at the link Daniel posted you'll see Andrew mentions the tonal range.