Help Me, Please?!?!?

kirsten

My concertina is supposedly a 30 key Anglo. But the keys are laid out different than any of the diagrams in any of the books I've purchased.

Instead of being in rows, they're almost "zig zag." Also, there is not a different note when I push in and out...the note is the same both ways.

If I could post a diagram, would that help any experts out there to help me determine what I've purchased? I looked for concertinas for years until I finally found this one on E-bay and now I think I've bought the wrong thing, or been duped.

Can anyone help?

Many thanks,

Kirsten

:o :ph34r:

Possibly tomorrow or the next day I'll get some photos posted. The ebay photos were not of the actual concertina the seller sent. Thanks for your interest!

It's difficult to get started when none of the books seem to jive with my concertina.

Thanks again,

kirsten

Also, there is not a different note when I push in and out...the note is the same both ways.

Well, there's an important clue I glossed over! Doink. Check diagrams of English concertinas for starters. There should be one on this site!

That is really too bad that they didn't send the instrument advertised.

There's a lot of help to be had. Be patient!

ldp

My concertina is supposedly a 30 key Anglo. But the keys are laid out different than any of the diagrams in any of the books I've purchased.

Instead of being in rows, they're almost "zig zag." Also, there is not a different note when I push in and out...the note is the same both ways.

Are there actually 30 buttons, or some othe number?

You say the keyboard layout doesn't look like this instrument, correct?.

If it look like this one or this one or this one or this one, then it's an English, not an anglo.

If the keyboard looks like this (but probably with fewer buttons), then it's a Maccann duet.

If it looks like this or this, then it's a Hayden duet (most unlikely).

If it looks like these (note that there are 5 rows of buttons, not 6 a in the Maccann), then it's a Crane or Triumph duet (two names for the same system).

If I could post a diagram, would that help any experts out there to help me determine what I've purchased? I looked for concertinas for years until I finally found this one on E-bay and now I think I've bought the wrong thing, or been duped.

It rather sounds like you've gotten the wrong thing. If the instrument you received was not the one pictured on eBay, then a case could be made for fraud. Do you still have the eBay auction number? If so, we might still be able to look at the original auction ad. If it is fraud, eBay should help you get your money back.

Were you expecting a new instrument, or something "antique"? And which did you get? Photos would help, if you can provide them.

One good source for more information about different kinds of concertinas is Chris Timson's Concertina FAQ.

We will help you as best we can.

Guest Guest_Kirsten

Thanks for your replies!

Here is what I've learned from all your wonderful suggestions and information:

What I have is a 30 key English, NOT Anglo as advertised. I went back into my old e-mails, found the confirmation from e-bay and the seller and was able to pull up the photo.

While mine looks similar in color and style, the buttons are definitely different. The Anglo in the photo has the keys all nicely lined up in rows, where mine are all over the place. I think for a beginner, it would be tough to play?

So I just e-mailed the sender. Lets see if he'll swap this one for the Anglo! I already have all these great books I ordered (right after I ordered my concertina) for the Anglo...it would be a pain to have to return them all now!

You all are so wonderfully nice! I was thrilled to see your replies. I totally appreciate your opinions and the information.

Can any of you weigh in on the benefits of Anglo over English?

Thanks,

Kirsten B)

Guest Guest_Kirsten

Me? Start a fight?! Would I do that?

I see! So, its totally preferential?

Personally, I'm voting for Chopsticks and blue... :)

Can any of you weigh in on the benefits of Anglo over English?
I will (maybe) try to answer your question. However, I would first like to know from you what your motivation is/was to buy an Anglo instead of an English.

The Anglo in the photo has the keys all nicely lined up in rows, where mine are all over the place.

Looking at this quote I suspect a certain bias towards the Anglo concertina.

Trying to start a fight, are you?

So please explain your bias, before our heavy weight boxer starts the fight :lol:

So please explain your bias, before our heavy weight boxer starts the fight  :lol:

I never start fights, though I've finished a few. ;)

Did I ever mention the time I fought off three NYC muggers with my tin whistle? :unsure: :o :angry: :lol:

(That final, laughing-out-loud smiley should actually be a knees-are-jelly-and-shaking-like-a-leaf emoticon, but I couldn't find one.)

Hey Everyone!

I talked to the E-bay auction fellow and he says I can mail the English one back to him for an Anglo.

Lets see...why do I want an Anglo instead? I think the keys appear more organized. I think this would make the Anglo easier to learn. Has anyone else found this to be true?

I am NOT very musical. I should be...my Grandfather could play any string, wind or brass instrument expertly. It was quite amazing and wonderful to grow up around. My mother - pretty talented. Sister? Can play piano beautifully. Me? I took piano lessons. I took violin lessons. I took guitar lessons. ::sigh:: Nothing took to me!

I sincerely ADORE music, even though it doesn't seem to be so thrilled with me.

But the concertina has fascinated me, and though I don't expect to pick it up and be able to play instantly, I don't need a super challenge, either!

SO...sending my little blue English back and hopefully getting a little blue Anglo instead. I am attaching a picture of the one I was supposed to get.

Any words of wisdom?

You Folks are the BEST! Thanks!

kirsten

post-11-1081270368.jpg

Lets see...why do I want an Anglo instead? I think the keys appear more organized. I think this would make the Anglo easier to learn. Has anyone else found this to be true?

The buttons of the anglo are not more organized, just differently organized. Also, the "organization" of the 30-button English you got has been disrupted by the fact that it's missing some of the buttons from the full, standard, 48-button pattern (which may be seen repeated many times as the background here, and in larger detail here and here ).

But the geometric pattern of the notes can be quite a different matter from the geometric pattern of the buttons themselves, and in this respect the English and anglo differ fundamentally. (You've already noticed one of the ways in which they differ, since each button on the English plays the same note on push and pull, but on the anglo push and pull are different.)

Does the anglo's pattern make it inherently easier to learn than the English? No. Nor does it make it inherently harder. Some individuals seem to find one or the other easier or harder for them, but there's no universal rule. (I have always found the English easier, though I play both. Others have reported the opposite.)

I think the important point here is that you are psyched up to learn the anglo, and that attitude in itself should assist you in learning to play it.

Have fun! :)

• 4 weeks later...

:) Great news!

My new Anglo concertina arrives via UPS on May 6th. I am totally excited!

I just wanted to thank everyone for being so nice and supportive, offering to help and giving suggestions. I'll definitely keep in touch and let you all know if I get the hang of it! (That is, if you want to hear from me...)

Thanks to Alan for the CD. That was very cool of you. I will let you know if it helps, once I dig into learning.

I was pretty geeked about the groovy Lawrence Welk Blue model I had, but the Anglo replacement is Black. No blue available. I guess the color doesn't really matter...

Anyway, I hope you all are having a wonderful Spring so far!

Kirsten

Hi Kirsten

I'm in a similar boat to yours. I'm starting out also, but selected the English style instrument primarily because as a percussionist, it sounded like it would be more compatible with me. I'm having a dog of a time figuring out which learning materials to start with as most of them seem to be for Anglo.

I also turned to ebay and got myself a budget model from....You guessed it...... microscope city :lol: I figure I have nothing to lose. In a year's time I'll know a lot more and will know if I want to get a nicer instrument. For sure they always sound better. (except whistles sometimes) I steered away from the vintage ones as I just bought a 120 year old house and have as much vintage as I can handle.

I'm having a dog of a time figuring out which learning materials to start with as most of them seem to be for Anglo. 

You should check out the reviews of tutors on Chris Timson's Concertina FAQ. Then see what's available from places like The Button Box (in the US), The Music Room (in the UK), etc. If there's something you really want that's not available retail, then maybe check out the used-book resources that Perry Werner mentioned in another Topic.

I also turned to ebay and got myself a budget model...

You may have to play loose with some of the details in the tutors, since you'll be missing some of the buttons for duplicate accidentals.

I steered away from the vintage ones as I just bought a 120 year old house and have as much vintage as I can handle.

With Vintage concertinas you're supposed to get one that's already restored. :)