Bitter and Twisted!

Dirge

I've just failed to buy a big Maccan on Ebay. It was almost identical to my main instrument (a 72 key aeola about 500 away in number) so would have made a perfect reserve, something I've been looking for for ages so that I can send my usual one off for overhaul without missing it. I bid as much as I could stand, at the moment, (plus as much on top of that as I thought I could get past the chief accountant).

Only two bidders; me at £1680, Chris Algar £1700. I have nothing but good to say of Chris A who in my experience is a complete gentleman in his dealings; the concertina was a gift at that price, so why should I expect to get it anyway; I don't know how much further Chris was prepared to bid, and so on, and so forth.

But...

But...

I had wild dreams about that one and was prerpared to go to 2100 UKP.......But......"She who must be obeyed" made short work of that idea......Shucks...

Still cheap; I saw it too late to get my act together properly. (Thanks anyway, Henri!)

something I've been looking for for ages so that I can send my usual one off for overhaul without missing it.

Perhaps you could ask Chris to rent this one to you while your own is being overhauled.

Good suggestion from Gan Ainm.

It must be frustrating for players of such relatively rare devices. (Note to self - Do not start getting too interested in Duets!)

If relief is required there's always "Bitter & Twisted" from Harviestoun Brewery!

"Bitter & Twisted is a sharp, blond beer with a superb, fresh hop profile combining aromatic Hallertau Hersbrucker with spicy Challenger.

It is finished by late hopping with Styrian Goldings, which gives sharpness like the twist of a lemon.

A truly refreshing beer and strangely moreish."

www.harviestoun-brewery.co.uk

It even seems to travel ok down to Oxfordshire.

Good suggestion from Gan Ainm.

It must be frustrating for players of such relatively rare devices. (Note to self - Do not start getting too interested in Duets!)

If relief is required there's always "Bitter & Twisted" from Harviestoun Brewery!

"Bitter & Twisted is a sharp, blond beer with a superb, fresh hop profile combining aromatic Hallertau Hersbrucker with spicy Challenger.

It is finished by late hopping with Styrian Goldings, which gives sharpness like the twist of a lemon.

A truly refreshing beer and strangely moreish."

www.harviestoun-brewery.co.uk

It even seems to travel ok down to Oxfordshire.

Well renting on a casual basis; nice idea but it wouldn't be easy given half a world distance between us. What isn't beyond the bounds of possibility is I go and buy it off CA eventually anyway during our summer visit to England; I'd pay more, but the plus would be I could take it for a test run, and perhaps even do a PX. Who knows?

I can buy decent beer here, even really homely decent stuff like 6X, but it costs about the same per bottle as a bottle of wine ("Imported, exotic"), and of course you need more than one. The Kiwi's didn't have an indigenous version of CAMRA and you can tell. I shall be checking that English beer standards have remained steady in the summer...

Before you write off duets, both my Wheatstone Aeolas, 276 high quality long-scale reeds in total, cost me less together than one ordinary Jeffries woulod have done, and if I wasn't boracic/mean (delete as appropriate) I would have bought this one at a reasonable price too.

Sorry Dirge, I didn't look at location!

Fair point re Duet prices....... (Oh no!!!!)

Hope you have a great time on this side of the globe, assuming you mean a visit in our summer!

Tom

Yes I do and thanks, Tom!

So where will you be heading for over the summer then Dirge? Maybe somebody ought to arrange a Maccann duet convocation or something? (joke)

Well, we have 6 weeks. Based in Marlow, Bucks., a week in S Wales, a fortnight in Wells, Somerset, plus lots of side trips here and there, no further North than Silverstone to see the Morgans race the Bentleys (I hope; still sorting how I do that). It's getting quite full already, and starting to sound like an excellent trip.

Concertina wise; I'm round to Ipswich to say hello to Mike Acott, I go to the Gatwick area to see Alan Day and hopefully meet Iris Bishop, I've got a couple of other players I'd like to meet up with if I can (Hallo David, Ivan!) and that's it.

You joke but I'd be interested in a 'Maccan players afternoon social'; nothing too organised but a chance to hear what others do, put faces to names, pass on ideas, etc. Could be great fun and educational too. (I'm never sure how many Maccanics we have here on Cnet.) What do you think?

So where will you be heading for over the summer then Dirge? Maybe somebody ought to arrange a Maccann duet convocation or something? (joke)

Well, we have 6 weeks. Based in Marlow, Bucks., a week in S Wales, a fortnight in Wells, Somerset, plus lots of side trips here and there, no further North than Silverstone to see the Morgans race the Bentleys (I hope; still sorting how I do that). It's getting quite full already, and starting to sound like an excellent trip.

Concertina wise; I'm round to Ipswich to say hello to Mike Acott, I go to the Gatwick area to see Alan Day and hopefully meet Iris Bishop, I've got a couple of other players I'd like to meet up with if I can (Hallo David, Ivan!) and that's it.

You joke but I'd be interested in a 'Maccan players afternoon social'; nothing too organised but a chance to hear what others do, put faces to names, pass on ideas, etc. Could be great fun and educational too. (I'm never sure how many Maccanics we have here on Cnet.) What do you think?

Hello You !

Still spending money again ? How many now ?

Hope to catch up with you when you come back over here again. Sounds like a good idea. I will send you a private email when I get a minute.

David.

Although I joked, actually I quite like the sound of a Maccann social... I could sit in the corner, be the baby of the group and listen to the experts and ogle their boxes !! Don't know quite where we could organise said get together .. I can think of two other Maccanics dotted around London, ... might mention the idea to one of them !! :)

Hello You !

Still spending money again ? How many now ?

Hope to catch up with you when you come back over here again. Sounds like a good idea. I will send you a private email when I get a minute.

David.

Wotcher. I hope it's three, but I agreed to sell the third at a discount rate to fund the purchase of another, only to get involved in a web of treachery and deceit, as they say, and have that one fall through. I'm not sure if I'm being held to the sale of the third or not! (and before you ask I'd rather not tell you about the dodgy deal here, wait until we're having a beer)