Electronic concertina...

Let's see 'em do that with an anglo! :lol:

I don't think they are ready to tackle Anglo yet. Note that the bellows movement seems to be strictly pre-programmed between two limits, and the reversals occur without any reference to the music or its phrasing. I'm surprised we don't hear gaps in the music at the reversals (OK, maybe they programmed reversals not to occur during a note).

With some more programming, an Anglo could be played. I hope they try it -- would be more fun to watch anyway!

Then modulate the squeeze motors to give some vibrato -- probably not possible.

And I hope the next step does not involve waterboarding that poor Stagi EC ;) Yes, it's a Stagi, with their trademark "inlay" end decorations.

BTW, roll-playing accordians have been around for a while, and are built into Belgian dance-hall organs.

--Mike K.

Edited by ragtimer

Cool. When I saw the thread title "electronic concertina" I thought that it might refer to this.

Holy cow, I had been thinking an English would be fun, but the notes of the scale are split back and forth from right side to left?

That seems more confusing that learning the notes on push and draw.

NNY

BTW, roll-playing accordians have been around for a while, and are built into Belgian dance-hall organs.

Hmm. Are any of our C.net members also into role playing?
:unsure:

I knew that was coming. I make such a fine straight man :huh:

"Life is like a piano: some folks follow the score; some play it by ear; and some are just playing a role/roll" -- MJK

Seriously, on reviewing the video, I see there is an attempt to time the bellows reversals with musical phrases -- sometimes the bellows open up considerable more during a long phrase. But near the end of the clip, there's a reversal from push to pull where a passing note of the tune gets swallowed or "mumbled", lost in the reversal.

I tend to be guilty of that myself :( and am trying to improve my reversal timing. But sometimes there just isn't any place in the music to safely reverse -- especially if you're filling in musical gaps with running notes on the other side (I'm talking Duet here, tho some Anglo players will sympathize).

BTW, those bellows in the video are moving awfully fast for a one-note-at-a-time EC performance. That old Stagi must leak like a sieve. New Stagis aren't leaky. --Mike K.

Edited by ragtimer

I don't know why people bother doing things like this, what a waste of time and materials.

To show that they can; and to learn something in the process. I'd guess this was a term project for a class in servomechanism design or the like, in a technical college. It's always best to have a "fun" project to learn serious principles and gain experience.

Otherwise, a goal of mechanized music is to reach a level of virtuosity rarely attained by humans, as with a reproducing player piano or a thoroughly massaged MIDI file fed into a synthesizer. Clearly that's not the case here -- a wooden single-note simple tune played on EC is nothing we couldn't learn to do in a couple days (2 minutes if you already play EC ;)

When they play a full arrangement of William Tell Overture on an 82-key Maccann Duet, then at least I'll listen to the whole thing!

And add expressive bellows pressure control too.

Anyway, it was a good term project for some students, I'll bet. --Mike K.