Crabb EC for sale on eBay

SteveS

It looks like the ends are tortoiseshell.
They look like metal to me with ebonised sides.
I agree with Paul.

Certainly metal ends, and the "ebonised sides" may well be black plastic, which (according to John Connor) Tommy Williams provided them with.

I see the eBay seller has now given some history of the instrument, as they understand it:

The concertina was bought in London over 50 years ago in an antique shop. No repairs or restorations have been made. Concertina lessons were taken by her husband while he was alive and it has been packed away in Cape Cod ever since his passing 30 years ago.

Though I've since commented to them that "the serial number indicates that the instrument was made about 1966, so maybe it was bought new then from Crabb's shop - which was something of an "antique" in its own right."

Maybe Geoff Crabb would like to offer a more accurate date, if he reads this?

Edited by Stephen Chambers

18075 Made December 1965. Supplied to order of 'Scarths' (Musical retailer of Tottenham Court Road, London).

'Best' Model 4A. 48K Treble Octagonal English, raised metal tops, 6 fold bellows. Hand stitched leather case.

Price new today? approaching twice the Ebay asking price.

Geoff

18075 Made December 1965. Supplied to order of 'Scarths' (Musical retailer of Tottenham Court Road, London).

'Best' Model 4A. 48K Treble Octagonal English, raised metal tops, 6 fold bellows. Hand stitched leather case.

Thanks Geoff,

I wasn't too far out then...

I remember Scarth's well, a wonderful little shop, on the west side of Charing Cross Road, that was pulled down for redevelopment a good few years ago now. I seem to recall it was owned by the musical instrument distributors Barnes & Mullins, and they sold all sorts of instruments that were unusual, or obsolete at the time - in fact a haven for a folkie, before there was ever any such thing as a folk instruments shop. I remember being offered a brand new 20-key Wheatstone Anglo there in the early '70s, and once had a hexagonal Crabb English with flat, matt plastic ends, that had been made for them also.

• 2 months later...