Orange In Bloom

polutropos

On another thread, Jody K suggested that tune Auld Swarra would be difficult for a beginner. I asked if he'd recommend anything along similar lines that a beginner might find easier. Jody suggested "Orange in Bloom real slow. With the chords." I found this link on his website: http://jodykruskal.com/tune_of_the_month/july_2008.html

I've been listening to it all night and it is indeed a great tune.

After some foraging I found this interesting page: http://www.ucolick.org/~sla/morris/music/abclib.html

Down near the bottom under 'Sherborne' are links to the abc's for Orange In Bloom.

However, as a beginner this leaves me wondering where to place the chords. I've noticed this before with abc's - the notation only shows single notes. I could take each note as the name of the chord but I wonder if that'll just make a pigs ear of it. One thing I am not good at is working things out by ear. I need it written down and I need the music too.

Rather than pm Jody, I thought it better to share this with everyone, but I would like some guidance on how I might approach playing this tune, working out the chords.

Many thanks.

Paul

Asking for chord advise is fine and very sensible ( I do it all the time) but giving it is a hornet's nest of conflicting opinion.

However this is what I play on a 3 row melodeon and will work fine for an anglo. Substituting a C+ chord for the Em maybe easier to play.

Hope this helps..............Robin

PS I've just thrown in a really funky little jig, Bending the Ferret, written by a wonderful English melodeon player and all round fine person, that is surprisingly easy to play.I can send an MP3 if that helps.

Edited by Robin Harrison

I've nothing to add to the chords....Robin's are plenty good for me....just a comment on the name of that tune (Oranges in Bloom). I've never seen orange trees in England, but the name is a perfect one. I have a small home orchard with oranges, lemons, limes and grapefruit. They just finished blooming for the year, and as always the scent was incredible. On a warm, green spring day, with that fragrance wafting around, that tune is just right!

Any idea where the name came from?

Dan

Asking for chord advise is fine and very sensible ( I do it all the time) but giving it is a hornet's nest of conflicting opinion.

However this is what I play on a 3 row melodeon and will work fine for an anglo. Substituting a C+ chord for the Em maybe easier to play.

Hope this helps..............Robin

PS I've just thrown in a really funky little jig, Bending the Ferret, written by a wonderful English melodeon player and all round fine person, that is surprisingly easy to play.I can send an MP3 if that helps.

That's fantastic Robin, very much appreciated. You've certainly given me enough to get rolling. Would you suggest playing the chords in the bass and the melody in higher key? It's funny, first I was drawn to the concertina and Irish music, not all ITM but generally so and now I'm slowly being drawn towards an English music I barely knew existed, as I gradually discover it. I'd very much like to hear the mp3 to Bending The Ferret - what a great title! Interesting that Orange In Bloom shifts from a jig to Sherborne Waltz. Once again, thanks.

Plenty of historical references to orangeries in England:

http://www.oakconservatories.co.uk/orangeries.htm

Thanks David...nice to learn something new. Those orange blooms would have smelled especially fragrant indoors; fits the sound of the tune.

I guess those limeys were growing limes indoors, too.

By the way, where I am growing citrus is quite far north of the old northern limit....due to climate change. Our gardening 'climate zones' have moved north about 70 miles in the past 20-30 years. No need for orangeries here anymore!

Dan

I read somewhere it was Orange and Blue after a regiment's uniform?

As it turns out, the tune Orange & Blue is another tune altogether................it's a Scottish Strathspey.( that also has words too. "The Broon Coo" aka The Brown Cow )

Robin

Would you suggest playing the chords in the bass and the melody in higher key

Absolutely.....................This is the way to play the "English" or "Fully Chorded" style; playing this way gives you a very full sound.

Remember Jody calls the anglo "the pocket orchestra". With a little practise, well , a lot actually, you can accompany yourself with chords and also do little duet type counter melodies and runs on the left.

Send me a PM ( no adult content ! ) with your email and I'll send some MP3's I have already recorded.

Cheers Robin

I read somewhere it was Orange and Blue after a regiment's uniform?

As it turns out, the tune Orange & Blue is another tune altogether................it's a Scottish Strathspey.( that also has words too. "The Broon Coo" aka The Brown Cow )

Robin

Da Broon coo is an alternative name for the Shetland tune Mrs. McLeod, as found on page 4 of Haand me doon ma fiddle.

Da broon coo's broken oot

an gaen amang da coarn

If someone doesn't tak her oot

De'll be nane left de moarn

So go du in me peerie boy

an grab her be da tedder

fir du's a peerie supple ting

no laek de auld don faider

translation

the old brown cow has broken out

and gone among the corn

if someone doesn't take her out

there'll be none left in the morning

so go you in my little boy

and grab her by the tether

for you're a little supple thing

not like the old done father.

X:1

T:Mrs McLeod or Da Broon Coo

L:1/8

M:4/4

K:A

||:A2a2 fefa|c2cB c2cB|A2a2 fefa|B2BA B2cB|A2a2 fefa|c2cBc2ce|f2f2fefg|afec B2cB:||

||:A2cA eAcA|c2cB c2cB|A2cA eAcA|B2BA B2cB|A2cA eAcA|c2cB c2ce|f2f2 fefg|afec B2 cB:||

the tune appears in several variations, but this I think is close to Haand me doon ma fiddle.

- John Wild

And this is the ABC for Orange and Blue

X: 12055

T:Orange and Blue

S:Kevin Briggs

M:4/4

L:1/8

R:Hornpipe

K:D

ag|"D"f/2d3/2d2 A/2d3/2d2|"D"fdaf d2ef|"Em"g/2e3/2e2 c/2e3/2e2|"A7"cAec A2ag|

"D"f/2d3/2d2 A/2d3/2d2|"D"fdaf d2(3fga|"G"bg"D"af "A7"ge"D"fd|\

"A7"ec(3ABc "D"d2ag|