Tedrow Hayden for sale

meander

I'm about to list my Tedrow Hayden on ebay, but I thought I'd give the group a chance to consider it or ask questions first. It's in perfect shape, sounds great and looks just like the one on the website http://hmi.homewood.net/hayden/

Price negotiable, and ready to go.

Ross

202-457-5644

reichberg@pattonboggs.com

Yes, please! Tell us (in PM if you prefer) what you are asking, and why you are selling.

It does have 52 buttons, right?

Also, could you post how wide an end is, across the flat sides?

Thanks, Mike K.

I'm about to list my Tedrow Hayden on ebay, but I thought I'd give the group a chance to consider it or ask questions first. It's in perfect shape, sounds great and looks just like the one on the website http://hmi.homewood.net/hayden/

Price negotiable, and ready to go.

Ross

202-457-5644

thats a fine looking box, I bet its in a class far and beyond the Stagi incarnation.

What business is it of anybody's -- and why in the world would it matter -- why the seller is selling it? If he needed the money for a liver transplant or just for some casual drugs, would that affect the instrument? If it was a bad instrument would you expect the seller to say, "This instrument stinks so I am passing it along to another sucker?"

If the seller wanted to buy another instrument with the money, isn't that his business? If he stole the instrument and the cops are hot on his trail would you expect an honest answer? How would it profit the purchaser to know whether the seller is just plain bored with music making in general, or whether he needed the money to pay the mortgage. Would a hard-ship sale make the buyer feel better or worse?

I fail to see why the question -- "Why are you selling it? -- should be asked at all. It is intrusive and it serves no point. Mutatis mutandi, the price, the age, and the condition are the only things that matter in the sale of an instrument. The rest, the questions- why are you selling it, what’s your favorite ice-cream, for whom did you vote – are irrelevant.

What business is it of anybody's -- and why in the world would it matter -- why the seller is selling it?

Hmm, David, shall we turn that around?

What business is it of anybody's (e.g., of yours) why anybody else (e.g., ragtimer Mike) is interested in "why the seller is selling it"?

Seems to me a case of the
pot
calling the
kettle
black
And I guess you can call me "
saucepan
".
;)

What business is it of anybody's -- and why in the world would it matter -- why the seller is selling it?

Maybe he was curious, or just making conversation...after all, this is a place where people talk about concertinas. And it could have turned into some insight about other instruments the seller has played, what style, and so forth. If someone wanted to know why I was selling my anglo, I could tell them it was because I am now playing Hayden duet, and we could have discussions about which instrument suits what style better (at least for me). The buyer would be reassured that I wasn't selling it because it was a lemon. Yes, I could lie about that, but by giving details about why I was selling it in a knowledgeable, open, and friendly way, I would think it would be apparent where I was coming from.

But I do see how people wouldn't necessarily want to discuss their financial or personal issues just to make a sale to a stranger. In that case, a non-specific answer would probably work, mentioning there are personal issues you don't want to go into. That's a perfectly friendly answer in my book.

OK, I don't really need to know why he's selling it (tho I was not the first person to ask).

But I would like to see some photos of the instrument for sale, especially a close-up of one end,

and an asking price.

--Mike K.

here it is May 5 and no response from meander. Is he meandering?

Ross did answer my private email last week.

Thanks to Jim and Boney for coming to my defense. Any time someone is selling a concertina, there's a story behind it that we in this group are interested in -- tho in the end it's "none of our business."

If the seller is forced by circumstances to sell, he could get a lot of sympathy here, for sure. But that's a private thing, personal dignity.

So, we don't want to create an expectation that anyone putting up an instrument for sale, has to have a "why" story behind it.

I'll stick to the business at hand from now on. --Mike K.

Why are people in general so coy about quoting prices though? It's what a potential purchaser wants to know right away. You need the price to know if it's worth pursuing.

If I see something I'm interested in offered without a price I tend to assume, fairly or not, that it is because the seller is a bit 'clever' and that puts me off asking what they DO want.

Re: Tedrow Hayden: Happy to settle the "why is he selling it" controversy: just had a baby girl and it's time to trade in some of my toys for toys for little Charlotte. To answer some other questions, it's 7-1/2" wide (maybe a hair under) at the flats. It's pretty light, but I don't have a scale to give the exact number of ounces. I should have pictures up tomorrow. As for the price, I'll let the market decide and accept best offer.

Meander

Re: Tedrow Hayden: Happy to settle the "why is he selling it" controversy: just had a baby girl and it's time to trade in some of my toys for toys for little Charlotte. To answer some other questions, it's 7-1/2" wide (maybe a hair under) at the flats. It's pretty light, but I don't have a scale to give the exact number of ounces. I should have pictures up tomorrow. As for the price, I'll let the market decide and accept best offer.

Meander

Meander

Where are you located? What is the serial number of the instrument?Thanks. george

• 2 weeks later...
Why are people in general so coy about quoting prices though? It's what a potential purchaser wants to know right away. You need the price to know if it's worth pursuing.

If I see something I'm interested in offered without a price I tend to assume, fairly or not, that it is because the seller is a bit 'clever' and that puts me off asking what they DO want.

Well, at least you're right about that, Dirge.