Personal Messages

Checking my email tonight I saw a notice that I had a new personal message on Concertina.net. Following the connection into my Concertina.net account took me to a one-line message that said only "Click here to read." Being highly suspicious of the nature of the message, I "hovered" my cursor over the words and noted the linked address and then "Goggled" the address rather than clicking the link to view it. Viewing the Google search results suggests that the link goes to some sort of "adult" site, and I wouldn't be surprised if the simple act of clicking the link ended up loading some sort of spyware or virus.

If anyone else has received a similar personal message via Concertina.net, beware...

:(

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Checking my email tonight I saw a notice that I had a new personal message on Concertina.net. Following the connection into my Concertina.net account took me to a one-line message that said only "Click here to read." Being highly suspicious of the nature of the message, I "hovered" my cursor over the words and noted the linked address and then "Goggled" the address rather than clicking the link to view it. Viewing the Google search results suggests that the link goes to some sort of "adult" site, and I wouldn't be surprised if the simple act of clicking the link ended up loading some sort of spyware or virus.

If anyone else has received a similar personal message via Concertina.net, beware...

I have also received this same communication. I was suspicious and chose to ignore it. I find it is still there. If it is from a mischief maker, what should we do ?

I have also received this same communication. I was suspicious and chose to ignore it. I find it is still there. If it is from a mischief maker, what should we do ?

I just deleted it without following the link

Hi Guys

I would suggest using the report button at the first post in this thread, and it gets sent to Ken and Paul directly. It's faster than them looking through view new posts. I've gotten one also.

Thanks

Leo

Thank you for warning us !

I already had deleted the suspicious pm without further care as to whom it came from.

At least this is a good chance to wave hello ... :waving:

What is the procedure for deleting it. The [X] in the top right hand corner is not the usual white cross in red rectangle and that now makes me suspicious. Don't really understand enough to feel confident so I still have the the message on my system. What do you suggest ?

I got one too. It was from shiny new member "justrakop" who is clearly here for spamming. I didn't follow the link so I can't report on the virus load, but I wouldn't be surprised either.

I also got one from the same shiny new member - "justrakop"

I had this, and I've never had a PM on concertina.net before, so I wasn't sure of the expected protocol. I DID click the link and got a captcha screen. Fair enough, I thought - I typed in the letters and numbers shown on the graphic and got... another captcha screen! After the second time, I got suspicious and noticed the .ru domain.

I'm using Google Chrome, and I have Sophos AV installed - no signs of any malware attacks, but I may have unwittingly assisted someone's script to get though another site's "captcha" mechanism. I've heard of this technique being used before.

The next thing I did was change my password for this site...

No harm done, I think.

Anahata

Hmm..... too late for me! Just tried to wallow through said 'personal message'. Hope my laptop protection can survive any potential infection...... but at least it's got me in contact with you guys. Two points:

1. About a year ago my Dipper CG anglo was stolen in Dublin. The thief even had the audacity to phone me and negotiate a 'ransom' (my card was in the case). All to no avail - he never showed. Just woould like to put the word out again in case anyone knows of a Dipper being sold. It has a couple of modified features which could help identification. I have a Jeffries now but really miss the Dipper.

2. Any recommendations for getting hold of new end-plates?

Cheers

banjo1

Got the same PM, just happened to read this thread first though, so deleted it.

My own forum is coming under a deluge of weird registrations lately, which I delete as soon as I can. They seem to just want to leave a link to an adult site as part of the signature. Perhaps google finds it and increases the ratings, I can't imagine many members bothering.

Anahata's reply was interesting: Could they be confirming new captcha software for breaking into forums?

Yes Bruce I too got that message, from this justrakop Eeeejit! :angry: :angry:

I knew better than to open it though.

More importantly though, I see that his name is still in the Members list! :blink:

Someone here needs to tell HQ immediately, to have his file deleted & his address barred from this site.

Cheers

Dick

Well, it's about 3 or 4 am where Ken and Paul live. I'm sure that they'll deal with it soon enough.

Yes Bruce I too got that message, from this justrakop Eeeejit! :angry: :angry:

I knew better than to open it though.

More importantly though, I see that his name is still in the Members list! :blink:

Someone here needs to tell HQ immediately, to have his file deleted & his address barred from this site.

Cheers

Dick

Anahata's reply was interesting: Could they be confirming new captcha software for breaking into forums?

It is entirely possible. On melodeon.net we have been under continuous attack by potential spammers for the past 6 months at least. I've changed the way new members are approved which has brought things under control.

Over at www.thesession.org members can only start one new discussion per day.

Is it possible to restrict the number of people a member here can send PMs to per day?

Many thanks to all those who keep these forums clean for their intended purpose.

Tom