Another eBay Duet

Aquarussell

Is that not slightly too high a price to ask?

Ian

Same question to me. For my play I like to have more buttons on the left hand side. It is not a top model, but it may be in better shape than average ebay instruments.

Marien

Would that be nearer a dealer price rather than an Ebay auction starting price?

More generally, will the auction get up a head of steam from that starting point? Everyone dislikes reserves but if the initial price is too high potential buyers don't get the security of knowing that other people are interested at that sort of money. If you have to go too far out on a limb, the first bid may not happen. It's nice when making a first bid to think "well, I may be taking a bit of a risk, but I'd be pleased to get it for that."

Edited by TomB-R

More generally, will the auction get up a head of steam from that starting point? Everyone dislikes reserves but if the initial price is too high potential buyers don't get the security of knowing that other people are interested at that sort of money. If you have to go too far out on a limb, the first bid may not happen. It's nice when making a first bid to think "well, I may be taking a bit of a risk, but I'd be pleased to get it for that."

I have no idea if it is a high price, but to be fair to the seller it is a 'buy it now' price with the option to make an offer, so it could sell for less. However, I always prefer auctions that start at a price that seems good value, especially when I'm not really sure what something is worth.

Pete

In addition to Pete,

The auction is `another` ebay game. The `starting point` of 799 pounds is not a reserve, but it is a buy it now price. If you agree and buy it now then you will be the buyer instantly for 799. It is the maximum price the seller will get. If that is too much to you, you are free to place an individual lower bid and the seller has to accept or decline within a short period. These bids are private, other ebay members will not see how much you offered. So what withholds you to offer 1 UKP for it? or any reasonable price to your idea.... ;)

Edited by marien

Looks a genuine enough sale to me, but the same instrument (No. 631) changed hands on ebay only a couple of months ago for £370

I don't know how you value a 35-button Crane (in excess of its spare part value), because I've never heard of anyone actively wanting one. A similar thing can be said about a 39-key Maccann. If I was an impecunious wannabe Crane learner, I think I'd be attracted by £370 for a 42 key, provided it was in fair playable condition.

Ian

yep, unrealistic price - I paid that much for my 48 key, fully restored and tuned to concert pitch, at the height of the "I got have a duet craze"...

The only good thing is the exchaneg rate is low (I got a great deal on a Bodhran recently due to the flattened exchaneg rate dollars to GBP).

He should start that box at half that price, but, if I was sellign anythign, I would jack up the price too and see if anybody bit.

Guest HallelujahAl!

Interesting all this because if you look back at a posting I made some time ago you'll see a very familiar Crane Duet - though it was in a very different condition.

Salvation Army Crane Duet

I restored it - including taking off all the paint and re-padded, re-valved it. Bellows rebind, French polished it, tune etc. And was sold on to the first dealer as part of a part exchange for what I considered a very reasonable sum indeed. But nowhere near what this guy is asking. Is it worth it? Frankly, and in my opinion, the short answer is no. It has neither the range nor the power for me. Nice for accompanying a voice - but two voices would drown it! Have a good look at my pics included in my original posting however, all the black paint was a real devil to get off! I certainly wouldn't pay half what he's asking, but you watch - someone will!

AL

Edited by HallelujahAl!

I am quite disturbed to see that eBay allowed this auction to go through. I did report it several days ago as a probable fraud but apparently to no avail. If the buyer is reading this, watch out!

Daniel

That one is probably a scam, as I mentioned on another post.

Hows about THIS JEFFRIES?

Here it was:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=220375675272