Wheatstone Anglo 3-row C/G on Ebay

dave shapiro

This 30 button concertina from Ireland is still available (as of Thursday 8:00 a.m.EST). There is a problem with Dave's link.

A similar one, an Ebony sided 30 button C/G, was listed last week on C.net and has not been sold yet.

Actual URL for this item: http://cgi.ebay.com/Wheatstone-Anglo-Conce...93%3A1|294%3A50

Question? how do I paste this URL to just say "here" and not have the big long address? This would save space, no?

Steve

Good price? Guess it depends on when you were buying and what you are getting. A couple of years ago 30b Wheatstone anglos from the 1950s brought some ebay prices in the $3000.-$4000. range, which seemed pretty outrageous to me at the time.

I bought a 1950s Wheatstone from the Button Box in 2003 and it served me very well for 3 years. Price was then around $2200.

So if this last one was in tune and its "ghost notes" easily fixed then in the $2000. area seems appropriate to me.

Some of the 1950s Wheatstones varied in construction with the more traditional reed shoes dovetailed in a slot being considered more desirable.

Recently made concertinas with accordion reeds offer tremendous value for the money. So part of the equation as to "good deal" must be weighed in whether you can tell the difference between accordion reeds and concertina reeds and how much that difference is worth to you.

Bob Tedrow makes a fine instrument and one just sold on this forum for $1500.! Different horses for different courses. Different makers for different takers.

Greg

I think that it was a very good price in the current market -- in fact, I suspect that the buyer was a well-respected concertina dealer whose name is regularly mentioned here. The sound file sounds quite nice and the instrument looks good. My only hesitation would have been over the unknown quality of construction of the replacement bellows and ends -- but if the buyer is who I think it is, he would be a much better judge of that than I would.

Daniel

Good price? Guess it depends on when you were buying and what you are getting. A couple of years ago 30b Wheatstone anglos from the 1950s brought some ebay prices in the $3000.-$4000. range, which seemed pretty outrageous to me at the time.

I bought a 1950s Wheatstone from the Button Box in 2003 and it served me very well for 3 years. Price was then around $2200.

So if this last one was in tune and its "ghost notes" easily fixed then in the $2000. area seems appropriate to me.

Some of the 1950s Wheatstones varied in construction with the more traditional reed shoes dovetailed in a slot being considered more desirable.

Recently made concertinas with accordion reeds offer tremendous value for the money. So part of the equation as to "good deal" must be weighed in whether you can tell the difference between accordion reeds and concertina reeds and how much that difference is worth to you.

Bob Tedrow makes a fine instrument and one just sold on this forum for $1500.! Different horses for different courses. Different makers for different takers.

Greg

Question? how do I paste this URL to just say "here" and not have the big long address? This would save space, no?

Steve

When you're adding a link, say to http://www.concertina.net (for example), click on the 'insert link' button (to the right of the smiley above the reply box), you get a box says 'Please enter the full URL', do as asked.

When you do that, you get a box saying 'Please enter the title for this item' - whatever you put there will appear as the 'short' link - in this example I have put the word 'Example' as the short link.

Example

I hope that's clear.

I'm not sure it really saves any space, but it's often tidier to look at.

Edited by newgrange