Bouncy echo on my Jack - is this normal?

My Jack English Baritone has arrived! Exciting!

However, I have noticed on the low notes that there is a sort of twangy bouncy echo/sustain to the notes which is not apparent on the upper notes, or at all on my Rochelle Anglo. It's really noticeably 'boingy' on the end of the note.

Is this dodgy sound because it is a cheap concertina, or because there is something wrong with my specific instrument? It is brand new, and I thought I would ask here as the sales person who sold it to me (a reputable UK outlet) isn't a concertina person so I'm not sure he'd know.

Thanks!

Anna x

My Jack English Baritone has arrived! Exciting!

However, I have noticed on the low notes that there is a sort of twangy bouncy echo/sustain to the notes which is not apparent on the upper notes, or at all on my Rochelle Anglo. It's really noticeably 'boingy' on the end of the note.

Is this dodgy sound because it is a cheap concertina, or because there is something wrong with my specific instrument? It is brand new, and I thought I would ask here as the sales person who sold it to me (a reputable UK outlet) isn't a concertina person so I'm not sure he'd know.

Thanks!

Anna x

Anna, I have noticed this "boingy" after-vibration on the low bass reeds of several free-reed instruments -- concertinas, accordians, melodeons, etc. It's normal -- the big heavy reed keeps on swinging after the air is cut off by your releasing the button. There's nothing wrong with your Jack.

I've never felt that this after-sound was loud enough to be heard by a listener, especially if you immediately play another note.

I'd put it in the same category as the zipping sound made by fingers sliding up guitar strings into fret position -- one of the incidental sounds that lends charm (?) to a real, acoustic instrument.

I don't know whether better quality instruments show less of this effect, though the long-scale reeds, as found in better models, might stop vibrating quicker.

Anyway, not to worry. As your playing improves, you'll be covering up this funny sound with your next notes.

--Mike K.

Edited by ragtimer

Actually I think the sound you mention is one of the appeals of this instrument. The warbling low notes on a Jack could be put to use in experimental composition or Gothic/horror soundtracks. They have an ominous grunt different from 'traditional-reeded' baritone concertinas. Not so suited to light dance tunes, perhaps.

Edited by LangoLee