Concertina Clown

Strange coincidence that Roger Digby should be writing about a Duet of Concertina and Trumpet.I attach an advert for a Circus (no animals) that is appearing locally.The advert shows a Concertina playing clown.I have not heard of a modern playing clown (apart from me) since about the Fifties.We had a discussion about clowns and concertinas some time ago.

Shame it is a cheapo he is playing, but I will try and see this chap and I will report back.

Al :rolleyes:

Hi Alan

A few months back I found this clown from France. I don't think he's playing it though. :(

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=philip...amp;view=videos

Thanks

Leo

I also stumbled across these clips on YouTube a few weeks back - I found this clown very disturbing and unsettling for some reason - so much so that I went to other clips after just watching for a few seconds.

Steve

Shame it is a cheapo he is playing........

Yeah, well Al, you wouldn't want your best Linota covered in custard would you? Or have water squirted all over it? Quite possibly, it is an exploding concertina. :unsure: Let us know when you have been to see the show.

Chris

They might get a new one for each show!

I figure that clowns like the cheap boxes with the many-fold bellows that pull out by the yard, so they can get that cartoony visual effect of a bellows stretching from arm to arm. --Mike K.

Hi Alan

A few months back I found this clown from France. I don't think he's playing it though. :(

Thanks

Leo

I also stumbled across these clips on YouTube a few weeks back - I found this clown very disturbing and unsettling for some reason - so much so that I went to other clips after just watching for a few seconds.

Steve

Some people fear clowns to death, it's called coulrophobia.

Shame it is a cheapo he is playing, but I will try and see this chap and I will report back.

Wasn't Cheapo one of the Marx Brothers?

The Red Bastard is actually a member of concertina.net.

WOW! Now that IS disturbing!!

I think kids these days are more afraid of clowns than they are pirates.

Personally, I've always had a fear of bastards regardless of their color.

Wasn't Cheapo one of the Marx Brothers?

The Red Bastard is actually a member of concertina.net.

WOW! Now that IS disturbing!!

I think kids these days are more afraid of clowns than they are pirates.

Personally, I've always had a fear of bastards regardless of their color.

Is it a bucket of water or is it confetti ? That is the worry !!

There is something very weird about that clown though, like something out of a nightmare :ph34r: .

Similar to opening your concertina box and there's nothing inside. :unsure:

Al

I have not heard of a modern playing clown (apart from me) since about the Fifties.We had a discussion about clowns and concertinas some time ago.

There is at least one concertina-playing clown in Denmark. He plays well on both anglo and a miniature. I've spoken with him briefly, and I hope to have a longer chat or interview before the summer is over.

Hi Alan

I also stumbled across these clips on YouTube a few weeks back - I found this clown very disturbing and unsettling for some reason

That's cos he's French! :lol: No, really, it looks like he's a Pierrot, a form of clowning with a well-respected pedigree.

I'm not keen on it either, but then I also find Marcel Marceau quite creepy.

Hi Alan

I also stumbled across these clips on YouTube a few weeks back - I found this clown very disturbing and unsettling for some reason

That's cos he's French! :lol: No, really, it looks like he's a Pierrot, a form of clowning with a well-respected pedigree.

I'm not keen on it either, but then I also find Marcel Marceau quite creepy.

Well I thought as a clown he looked sinister.

Quite an interesting summary of Pierrot clowning here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierrot

Steve

Grock plays the English concertina starting at about 21 minutes of this clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jb_our5nLn4

Well, not for nothing is Grock known as the 'musical' clown. He was extremely talented and funny and he could play a wide variety of instruments really quite well, as demonstrated elsewhere in his performance. It looks like the concertina he was playing, may be an Aeloa baritone-treble. There are three main types of traditional circus clown: Whiteface, of which the best known example is Joseph Grimaldi , Auguste, the type with the rednose, baggy pants and outsize footwear, like Coco the clown - Grock is a type of Auguste - and finally, the tramp clown or hobo, of which Emmett Kelly, is probably the most famous example. Tramp clowns have a painted on beard and a sad looking face and wear patched clothing. What type of clown were you Al?

Chris

The French concertina playing clown looks as though he is probably a Straight Whiteface, rather than European Whiteface (aka Pierrot) judging by the costume.. see http://cheesecakeandfriends.com/c-types.htm

As far as I'm aware Whiteface clowns NEVER come in for facefulls of custard, bucket fulls of water etc ... they're aristocratic, and in control rather than having things done to them ... so the tina would probably be quite safe. :)

I had a look at the Red Bastard video ... what can I say??

C.net

Here's the link to a thread from 2005 about Clowns and concertinas.It has some more specific information there if you are interested.The thread has Grock with no link so it's great to see how he used his concertina.

Wheatstone made two gilt metal ended baritone Aeolas in 1912 for a pair of clowns in the Paris circus. One of them Wim Wakker features on his banner on this site.(it is now gold plated) Here

Robin

C.net

Here's the link to a thread from 2005 about Clowns and concertinas.It has some more specific information there if you are interested.The thread has Grock with no link so it's great to see how he used his concertina.

Wheatstone made two gilt metal ended baritone Aeolas in 1912 for a pair of clowns in the Paris circus. One of them Wim Wakker features on his banner on this site.(it is now gold plated) Here

Robin

These must be the lovliest looking concertinas I have seen.

Thanks Robin

Al