The Masked Strollers

I am currently recovering from a weekend in which the original Flowers and Frolics joined me to celebrate my 60th! Ted Stevens gave me a pile of 78s of concertina players; most are Prince and one is Steve Bartle, but the one that is a mystery to me is an 8 inch by the Masked Strollers, a concertina and trumpet duo. Does anyone have any information? I don't think I've ever heard of them. (It's pretty lugubrious music!)

If I can work out the technology I'll try to attach the label.

Best wishes

Roger

This woman is looking for a copy of that 78 and might, therefore, know something about the group:

K Slater wrote to say "I am searching for two records by artistes 'The Masked Strollers' an instrumental Trumpet and Concertina - duet. Edison Bell Radio Records No. 1451 Love's Old Sweet Song and The Sunshine of Your Smile and No. 1463 Absent and In An Old-Fashioned Town. Any condition is acceptable". If you can help please contact anna_day2@yahoo.co.uk

Ian

The trumpeter in the duo was one William Seager, according to this:

"Dad William was steeped in variety theatre, spending much of his career as the principal trumpeter in the orchestra pits of Preston's Hippodrome and King's Palace.

He was also one half of an instumental duo called the Masked Strollers who made two records for the Edison Bell Company in 1931: "My dad actually bought a copy of the first one on Preston market and I still have it. I even bought a wind-up gramophone so I could hear it authentically," says Harvey.

Mr Seager senior had a brass band, Preston Excelsior, and Harvey would sit in with them on soprano cornet: "We were all brought up to play. Sunday afternoons were always spent round the piano."

http://www.lep.co.uk/outandabout/Big-Inter...ager.5117757.jp

Edited by Dave Rogers

Although this suggests differently:

Hi,

Not sure if I am doing this right anyhow here goes.

I am looking for an Edison Bell record made about 1931. The trumpet solo is

'ABSENT'. The soloist is H W Battams and the accompanist is D Crawly. They

went under the name 'The Masked Strollers'. The reverse side 'In an Old

fashioned Town' again by the Masked Strollers. They also made a second

record entitled 'The Sunshine of Your Smile.

Can anyone help me find a copy or point me in the right direction?

Thanks in anticipation

Flick

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/rec.music...ed+strollers%22

I am currently recovering from a weekend in which the original Flowers and Frolics joined me to celebrate my 60th! Ted Stevens gave me a pile of 78s of concertina players; most are Prince and one is Steve Bartle, but the one that is a mystery to me is an 8 inch by the Masked Strollers, a concertina and trumpet duo. Does anyone have any information? I don't think I've ever heard of them. (It's pretty lugubrious music!)

Best wishes

Roger

Roger, Does your 'Masked Strollers' 78 feature 'Loves Old Sweet Song' & 'The Sunshine of Your Smile' ?

I never tire of serenading myself with those two delightful old favourites and if I were to be labelled 'lagubrious' for doing so that is a price well worth paying !! Best wishes and happy birthday...you're just a youngster.

Rod

No Rod. It's the other one.

I'm afraid I've failed to post up the scan of the label despite triumphantly succeeding in creating a tif.

I'll have one more try.

tiffs won't show on the web....has to be jpg, gif or png...and it has to be in RGB not CMYK.

what are you using to scan/edit it? If you still have trouble email the tiff to me and I'll sort it for you. :)

Edited by LDT

Happy birthday, Roger! That you are still fit and hale is cause for the same sort of celebration that is found in this bit of doggerel, from 1882 New Zealand:

O, twang the concertina

And the sounding kettle-drum,

Pour out the big long-sleevers

And the soul-inspiring rum,

Serve out the doughy damper

And the sav'ry mutton grill,

For Joe, the maiden-charmer,

Has returned to Helensville!

And many more,

Dan

• 4 months later...

Best wishes

Rogerab

Hi,

Not sure if I am replying to your posting correctly but here goes.

Regarding the masked strollers. Harvey is my brother. The trumpet player was H W Battams. Seager was the stagename he used in later years. H W Battams was our DAD and we have been searching for his records for many years now. Although we have a copy of one of the records it is in bad condition and inaudile. We searched many years in the hope we could find these records before mum died but had no success. Is there any chance that you would either sell us the record or make a copy of it as it would be of great sentimental value . We grew up knowing dad had recorded them but never had the pleasure of listening to them. Looking forward to your reply.

Regards

K Slater