concna in the army

chris

Here's another "Army Concertina" from the Western Australia State Library archives...

No further details.

Reproduced here without permission, so apologies in anticipation, should that be necessary. (Removed; see later posts)

Looks like a posed studio photo; these often used musical instruments as props, as may well be the case here, though the way he is holding it looks reasonably realistic. And it looks to be a quality instrument; 7 fold bellows on an English treble of that age I would have considered a little unusual....

MC

Edited by malcolm clapp

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This time I've linked to their copy of the photo, so there's no "reproduction" issue but with the same practical result:

108,297PD.jpg

Daniel the Librarian

Here's another "Army Concertina" from the Western Australia State Library archives...

No further details.

Reproduced here without permission, so apologies in anticipation, should that be necessary.

Looks like a posed studio photo; these often used musical instruments as props, as may well be the case here, though the way he is holding it looks reasonably realistic. And it looks to be a quality instrument; 7 fold bellows on an English treble of that age I would have considered a little unusual....

MC

Edited by Daniel Hersh

This time I've linked to their copy of the photo, so there's no "reproduction" issue but with the same practical result:

108,297PD.jpg

Daniel the Librarian

No further details.

Reproduced here without permission, so apologies in anticipation, should that be necessary.

MC

Thanks Daniel. I will remove the photo from my post, if only I could see how to.... :blink:

HELP!!!! :o (please!)

MC

Malcolm--

Open your post for editing and look for strings of text that look like

http://www.concertina.net/forums/uploads/m...51698_thumb.jpg

or

http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php...ost&id=4611

If you eliminate them the picture should disappear. There may well be a less clumsy way to do this but that should work.

Daniel

Thanks Daniel. I will remove the photo from my post, if only I could see how to.... :blink:

HELP!!!! :o (please!)

MC

Edited by Daniel Hersh

• 2 weeks later...
Oh, a wsie gyu, eh?

naah, ehj frogit all tiov left :blink: argee?

:unsure: :blink: Wow... I know you're talking about messing up words, but did you jumble up words from another language? (Because I can't figure it out...) Ich haben ei freund und wir haben ei Kode von Schreiben ruckwarts... That is German for: I had a friend and we had a code of writing backwards. :lol: ;) :P

BTW- That picture of the soldiers is a beauty. You'd want to keep it in good nick for future generations.

Edited by Patrick King

Oh, a wsie gyu, eh?

:unsure: :blink: Wow... I know you're talking about messing up words, but did you jumble up words from another language? (Because I can't figure it out...) Ich haben ei freund und wir haben ei Kode von Schreiben ruckwarts... That is German for: I had a friend and we had a code of writing backwards. :lol: ;) :P

BTW- That picture of the soldiers is a beauty. You'd want to keep it in good nick for future generations.

Sorry for the confusion, I just jumbled up letters.

Chi ebah eniek edoK rüf sträwkcür uz nebierhcs, se raw run ssaps....

Greetings to ɐılɐɹʇsnɐ

Hi

I've just looked at the title at the start of this posting - total gibberish :blink: If anyone does know what a 'concna' is please let me know. That's what happens when you're excited and don't check properly and don't re-read what you've written :angry:

thanks to those who were curious enough to read on...........

chris

I thought it was the official abbreviation for concertina when I read it. But then, I found this 'erti' wandering about and realized it had escaped from your post heading. I'll send it your way so you can put it back where it belongs. In the meantime, I suppose I'll be practicing on my anglo concna. :P

Oh, a wsie gyu, eh?

Sorry for the confusion, I just jumbled up letters.

Chi ebah eniek edoK rüf sträwkcür uz nebierhcs, se raw run ssaps....

Greetings to ɐılɐɹʇsnɐ

:blink:

... I'd rather stick to plain German...not muddled up. I'm only a learner, so German isn't my natural language :( ; but sometimes, funnily, I wish it was. ;)

Bella Giornata Patrick,

German is not my native language, It is Dutch and it is quite different. The main problem between the 2 languages is that they have a lot of literal words in common but they have a different meaning. It causes a lot of fun in translations. For example, If you want to say "2 dogs are at a butcher shop", in Dutch this is: "er zijn twee honden in een slagerij". If you translate each word literally to German, some translate this to: "es gibt 2 Hunde in ein Schlägerei", but this means "there are 2 dogs busy fighting" rather than "there are 2 dogs in the butcher shop".

Chao,

Marien

Bella Giornata Patrick,

German is not my native language, It is Dutch and it is quite different. The main problem between the 2 languages is that they have a lot of literal words in common but they have a different meaning. It causes a lot of fun in translations. For example, If you want to say "2 dogs are at a butcher shop", in Dutch this is: "er zijn twee honden in een slagerij". If you translate each word literally to German, some translate this to: "es gibt 2 Hunde in ein Schlägerei", but this means "there are 2 dogs busy fighting" rather than "there are 2 dogs in the butcher shop".

Chao,

Marien

I knew that Dutch and German is different. It would probably impress some, as I use to think that until a few months ago. :unsure: I know what you mean about the 'awkward difference.'

BTW- 2 in German is zwei. It goes from 0-10: null,eins,zwei,drei,vier,funf,sechs,sieben,acht,neun,zehn. :P

Bella Giornata Patrick,

Chao,

Marien

Well as long as we're dwelling on matters linguistic, I would take just a moment to note that the word "ciao" is spelled incorrectly. . . . .the "word" (and there is none quite like that as far as i know) "chao" would be pronounced: "cow"........Allan

Chao,

Marien

Well as long as we're dwelling on matters linguistic, I would take just a moment to note that the word "ciao" is spelled incorrectly. . . . .the "word" (and there is none quite like that as far as i know) "chao" would be pronounced: "cow"........Allan

Ah, Allan, since it's matters linguistic, I thought Marien had just accidentally left off the last letter of "chaos". ;)

Chao is correct spelling fo ciao in the spanish language

Wow! Y'all are really multilingual. Let's see, we've got English, Spanish, Italian, German, Dutch, Some possibly brand new language containing the word "Concna" and now with "fo", Ebonics. This site is like the Rosetta stone for concertina players! :P :lol:

Note: I checked my spelling 3 times before posting this one. I know it will be looked at with tweezers and microscope.

And yes, "y'all" is a word where I come from. Not really another language, more like a dialect. The picture below is what we use for a palm pilot.

RedNeck+Palm+Pilot.jpg