concna in the army

chris

Hi

whilst looking for new songs to have a go at I was looking thru' Roy Palmer's 'The Rambling Soldier' Peacock Books: 1977 and discovered this quote from 'James Hawker's Journal. A Victorian Poacher' ed Garth Christian OU press 1961

'While in Dublin I was paid a Compliment from a temperance Point of view. I was Selected by the Sergeant Major to take a Desterter to Bury in Lancashire. He said I was "Proof against Getting Drunk"

One evening - October 25 - after reading the Charge of the Light Brigade, I was playing my Concertina and the Men were Dancing when Captain Vivian came to the Door.

"Corporal Hawker," he shouted. "Where did you Get that Thing?"

"I bought it, Sir," Itold him.

"Surely not out of your pay?" he said.

"Yes Sir," I replied. "I bought it to keep the men out of the Canteen. It cost me ten shillings."

He put five shillings in my Hand, a reward for setting the Men a Good Example.

Hawker was posted to Dublin about 1854. As Joseph Scates was in business in Dublin at that time I guess I would like to think that the concertina mentioned could have been bought from Joseph Scates' shop. At that price (ten shillings) I guess it would likely be a 'cheap' Anglo. Tho' Stephen Chambers, in another posting, about Scates, did suggest that 'cheap' Anglo's where sold by shops other than music shops.

I can't see the use of a Concertina as a 'temperance' tool myself! :huh:

(some of the odd capital letters where in the original text)

chris

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris,

True, musical instruments of all kinds are often associated with debauchery, time-wasting and vices of all sorts. You probably know the shortest musician joke: "A musician walked past a pub."

But remember that the concertina - first the Anglo, then the Triumph - was for a long time the hallmark of the Salvation Army, a very temperance-oriented organisation!

Cheers,

John

Somewhat later in time than the subject of the initial post here, but this interesting photo appeared recently on an internet auction site (not eBay). Reproduced here without permission, so apologies in anticipation, should that be necessary....post-121-1239977128_thumb.jpg

Hi

whilst looking for new songs to have a go at I was looking thru' Roy Palmer's 'The Rambling Soldier' Peacock Books: 1977 and discovered this quote from 'James Hawker's Journal. A Victorian Poacher' ed Garth Christian OU press 1961

'While in Dublin I was paid a Compliment from a temperance Point of view. I was Selected by the Sergeant Major to take a Desterter to Bury in Lancashire. He said I was "Proof against Getting Drunk"

One evening - October 25 - after reading the Charge of the Light Brigade, I was playing my Concertina and the Men were Dancing when Captain Vivian came to the Door.

"Corporal Hawker," he shouted. "Where did you Get that Thing?"

"I bought it, Sir," Itold him.

"Surely not out of your pay?" he said.

"Yes Sir," I replied. "I bought it to keep the men out of the Canteen. It cost me ten shillings."

He put five shillings in my Hand, a reward for setting the Men a Good Example.

Hawker was posted to Dublin about 1854. As Joseph Scates was in business in Dublin at that time I guess I would like to think that the concertina mentioned could have been bought from Joseph Scates' shop. At that price (ten shillings) I guess it would likely be a 'cheap' Anglo. Tho' Stephen Chambers, in another posting, about Scates, did suggest that 'cheap' Anglo's where sold by shops other than music shops.

(some of the odd capital letters where in the original text)

chris

Good one, Chris. Scates was advertising German concertinas as early as 1854; an ad of that year listed a "good" German concertina postpaid to anywhere in Ireland for 20 shillings. Presumably a not-so-good one bought at the shop would go for less...presumably for the ten shillings that Hawker said he paid. You also should consider John Bray, another early retailer of both ECs and GCs in Dublin, who was Scates' main competition for a couple of decades. These early concertina ads can be seen at http://www.angloconcertina.org/Addendum.pdf and at http://www.angloconcertina.org/Irish.html

Your 'sighting' is a real gem...the earliest reference to someone actually playing a German concertina in Ireland. It predates the first (known) public appearance of Regondi with his English concertina in 1835. Many thanks for posting it!

Dan

Somewhat later in time than the subject of the initial post here, but this interesting photo appeared recently on an internet auction site (not eBay). Reproduced here without permission, so apologies in anticipation, should that be necessary....post-121-1239977128_thumb.jpg

Malcolm, Great photo! Thanks for sharing it.

I think I published its twin in my Concertinas at Sea article, figure 34. http://www.angloconcertina.org/Concertinas_at_Sea.html

The concertina player in that photo seems to be the same one as yours, but with a different group (and in front of a slightly different barracks). The one I published dates from around 1909. Nice to have the additional data now that links it to their unit....1st Worcester. If I had to guess, I'd say your image is slightly older, as the concertina player had acquired a medal of some sort in my image.

Cheers,

Dan

Hi

I've just looked at the title at the start of this posting - total gibberish :blink: If anyone does know what a 'concna' is please let me know. That's what happens when you're excited and don't check properly and don't re-read what you've written :angry:

thanks to those who were curious enough to read on...........

chris

If anyone does know what a 'concna' is please let me know.

I know what it is but I don't know another word for it...

That's what happens when you're excited and don't check properly and don't re-read what you've written :angry:

Couldn't it be arranged by the webmaster that we can edit a title we entered?

Your 'sighting' is a real gem...the earliest reference to someone actually playing a German concertina in Ireland. It predates the first (known) public appearance of Regondi with his English concertina in 1835. Many thanks for posting it!

Dan,

Am I missing something somewhere? I read the post as relating to 1854 'ish, not pre 1835.

Dan,

Am I missing something somewhere? I read the post as relating to 1854 'ish, not pre 1835.

Wes,

Good grief! A dyslexic transmogrification of (18)53 to 35, somewhere in the deep recesses of my so-called brain. Unfortunately happening slightly more often these days, especially with my tpying (typing)...but this one was cognitive (ie, a simple screw-up, where I 'know' the right dates in some other part of my brain). Fortunately, it doesn't apply to my playing yet...but I'm holding that excuse in reserve for difficult tunes.

Dan

There is a word for dyslexia with numbers but my old brain has failed to call it up for the nonce.

Dyscalculia. :ph34r:

I thought that was the process the dentist uses for removing plaque from one's teeth. :unsure: