I'm back

This is a bit personal, but:

Yesterday I actually touched my concertina for the first time since late August. This is partly because I'm finishing up my senior year of college (yes! at my age!) and it's a tougher school than the one I went to for the last 2 years. Plus it's further away -- 45 minutes' drive as opposed to 2 minutes' drive previously.

I also suspect my lack of concertina enthusiasm has something to do with my father, a former college band director and morris musician extraordinaire (one of the top pipe and tabor players of all time, imo). He walked out on my mother just as school started for me last fall; I've heard from him once since and it did not go well (shrugs). It's a mourning process -- as if he's died, except he hasn't.

Anyway, I'm back now. It felt good to play a couple tunes last night, but bittersweet, too.

Around my part of Kentucky I've heard the expression, "Keep your dauber up!" as encouragement toward adversity.

Yes, play your instrument. Invest in yourself and your music. Be supportive to your mother and, yes, leave the door open for your father. He will have a story and a pespective to share at some point. There may be a role reversal where you will be the mature, level headed one to listen to confusion and uncertainty.

I know the longer I live and get to know my 96 year old mother, the more I learn. The lessons and revalations are not all pleasant but they certainly are instructive!

We wish you well, Rhomylly.

Greg

Hallo Rohmylly,very pleased to see you back and that you are playing once again. The Concertina will be like finding an old friend and moving on to new and exciting times.Congratulations on finishing your College work presumably to try and do something you have planned for years. You have taken some major steps these past few years and so have those nearest to you.It will not be long before you are back on your feet and moving to greater things and with your strength of character you will probably achieve them.

Al X

glad to hear you're back into it. sorry to hear that life has thrown you some curveballs. music definitely keeps me afloat. it doesnt matter if i'm no good, it makes me happy.

good luck with school, too! are you graduating this spring?

Throughout my life I have found the playing of music to be a great solace, a healer of ills great and small. You can lose yourself in music and allow the burdens of life to simply evaporate for a while. Relieving tension in this way gives you time to come to terms with major changes or upheavals in your life and allows you to become whole again. So play away and welcome back.

Pete. :)

Listen from 4'30"

YouTube - Kathleen Ferrier ~ What is life & Art thou troubled

9 min - 4 Nov 2007 -

recorded in 1946 ~ Kathleen Ferrier ~ much beloved English Contralto ~ born on April 22, 1912, in Lancashire UK and died October 8th 1953. Two ...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypePP1ENcmw

Listen from 4'30"

YouTube - Kathleen Ferrier ~ What is life & Art thou troubled

Kautilya,

Thanks for that link. Kathleen Ferrier must have been one of the first singers I heard on the radio as a child. I just have to be reminded from time to time how exceptional she really was.

The girl next door with the voice of a goddess. One of the good ones that the Lord took early.

Uplifting.

Cheeers,

John

Can I add my sympathy and encouragement too. I have always come back to the music to pull me through some pretty tough times - and 'if it doesn't kill you it makes you stronger' as they say.

Keep in there!

Alas! It seems to be killing me at the moment.

Ian

I can only add to what everyone else has said already --

WHen you're overflowing with joy -- let it out in music.

WHen you're drowning in despair -- play music.

Anything in between -- music can't hurt, can it?

I got thru some tough childhood times that way, just me and the piano.

Best of wishes, and congratulations on finishing your education.

--Mike K.