my new carroll

Is it normal for someone to field strip their brand new, expensive concertina.... much less barefoot in their PJs?? Wouldn't that void a warranty or something?

I ask this of all readers of this post.

i dont know if it is normal. i have just seen so many people casually take apart concertinas that i dont think it is a big deal. i know how to take apart a concertina, and am not hesitant to do so.

opening it does not void the warranty. wearing pajamas does not void warranty, either. :P. if you do not feel comfortable taking apart your concertina when it is new, please dont! it will just make you nervous. leave it closed. it is easier to play that way, :lol:

i also think that i can be careful and mindful of my instrument while wearing pajamas, and regardless of whether or i have had it a day or for several years. actually, if you think about it, the longer i have it, the less careful i will be with the concertina, as people tend to be less mindful of something the less novel it is. so, i think i am much less likely to damage it now than i will be in the future, as i am in the "worries about the slightest finger print on the finish" stage.

i urge everyone to please respect your instruments in the way that you see fit. i am very protective and respectful of my instruments, and will always be so. heck... when i take my plastic flute to sessions, i bring a towel so that the table will not scratch it. i do not leave my instruments in cars and i do not check them on airplanes. when i am in public, my instruments are with me at all times. i dont even put that much consideration to my wallet (i wish that was a joke. i leave it lying around in public all the time).

I can't believe you had to disembowel it the very first day! If you bought a new car, would you immediately take it apart? I think not.

i think the analogy doesnt work. i didnt disassemble the action, and i most certainly did not remove any of the reed frames or reed tongues. by and by i left the functioning parts of the concertina alone, and just twisted the screws necessary to disassemble it.

to reframe your analogy: if i bought a new car, yes i would open the hood, examine the filters, check the oil, open the trunk, check the spare, kick the tires, and turn on and off all the lights.

break down:

engine : car :: reeds : concertina --i did not disassemble reeds or reed frames, and i would not disassemble an engine

hood, trunk: car :: ends : concertina

filters : car :: gasket : concert

taking out reed pan : car :: looking at engine

kicking tires : car :: playing every note : concertina

driving : car :: playing concertina

and finally:

porsche : car :: carroll : concertina

I would have thought you'd instead have spent hours and hours enjoying the dulcet tones that instrument can yield. What's the matter?

believe me... it pains me that i couldnt be playing it instead. i worked yesterday, and the day before i only played it an hour or two because i had school and a birthday party to go to.

i was adjusting the hand straps and trying out different tightness levels when my little brother asked me to stop playing so he could go to bed. since i am finicky, and want my straps just right, i was adjusting them at both sides of the concertina, which is why i had the screw driver out. so... i couldnt play the concertina for at least 9 hours, and i had a screw driver. my mom just bought a new camera. so really... the only thing i COULD do was take it apart and take pictures. it was unavoidable! :lol:

Afraid that somebody actually did sneak in some Chinese reeds?

nope, cuz carroll reeds are hand made in the USA , not to mention that carroll reeds are my favorite of any reeds made today.

Now that your curiosity has been sated, I imagine that Noel expects you to start practicing those tunes you've been accumulating for all these years of NHICS. So, get to work!

And enjoy,

Ross

and how! i am going to whir up that mini disc player over the next weeks and abandon all my studies and other earthly endeavors.

edit: sorry if this post reflects a lack of humor. ross, please never stop harassing me or telling me to practice more. also, if you get a new car, i will surely take apart the engine for you as soon as you get it, :lol:

Edited by david_boveri

Anyone having the necessary skills and dedication to construct a decent quality concertina deserves nothing but the highest admiration and respect from the rest of us.....I would have thought.

We definitely don't share the same sense of humour, but if you think I lack respect for any of the top makers, you are clearly mistaken.

Nice review Dave. I didn't read into the details as a few seconds trying it will be worth hours reading about it :-) I hope we can be temporary 'swingers' one day and I will try your Carroll, and you my Dipper :-)

Nice review Dave. I didn't read into the details as a few seconds trying it will be worth hours reading about it :-) I hope we can be temporary 'swingers' one day and I will try your Carroll, and you my Dipper :-)

for sure! but i am more of a polygamist than a swinger. you give me your dipper, i go back to utah.

After a day's reflection, I have concluded that parts of this thread -- in which I too participated -- while good-naturedly directed at a beloved member of our small fraternity, may have inadvertently done some unintended harm to Carroll Concertinas. Wally has slaved, at his own expense of time and money, to create one of if not the finest anglo concertina in the world. Any suggestions, in jest or not, that if taken out of context might be construed to devalue that reputation, should be avoided at all costs.

For this reason, I personally apologize to Wally and his crew and sincerely hope that no harm has been done. I proudly own a Carroll concertina and I wholeheartedly support the Carroll Concertina team in their efforts to create a quality instrument: crafted in America. And I urge Ken or Paul to remove this thread from the forum.

Ross Schlabach

Is it normal for someone to field strip their brand new, expensive concertina.... much less barefoot in their PJs?? Wouldn't that void a warranty or something?

I ask this of all readers of this post.

i dont know if it is normal. i have just seen so many people casually take apart concertinas that i dont think it is a big deal. i know how to take apart a concertina, and am not hesitant to do so.

opening it does not void the warranty. wearing pajamas does not void warranty, either. :P. if you do not feel comfortable taking apart your concertina when it is new, please dont! it will just make you nervous. leave it closed. it is easier to play that way, :lol:

No, I think it is the being barefoot part that voids the warranty.

Alan

For this reason, I personally apologize to Wally and his crew and sincerely hope that no harm has been done. I proudly own a Carroll concertina and I wholeheartedly support the Carroll Concertina team in their efforts to create a quality instrument: crafted in America. And I urge Ken or Paul to remove this thread from the forum.

Well, if this thread do gets deleted, I do apologize to Dave, it's all my fault after all! :(

As for the jokes, I still think they were funny, but I admit I probably lacked judgement by posting them in a public forum. I mean, they're funny from my perspective, but if I were in Wally's and Greg's shoes, maybe I wouldn't find it that funny... so I do apologize to Wally and Greg.

for sure! but i am more of a polygamist than a swinger. you give me your dipper, i go back to utah.

I think two such demanding concertinas would be too much for you to handle, and isn't polygamy illegal in the US? Ah!

Ken and Paul don't need to get involved. Editing your own prior posts (as Azalin has already done) would take care of the problem. There's good info on this thread written by David and others that I wouldn't want to see removed.

Daniel

Well, if this thread do gets deleted, I do apologize to Dave, it's all my fault after all! :(

As for the jokes, I still think they were funny, but I admit I probably lacked judgement by posting them in a public forum. I mean, they're funny from my perspective, but if I were in Wally's and Greg's shoes, maybe I wouldn't find it that funny... so I do apologize to Wally and Greg.

Edited by Daniel Hersh