Thumb new ideas

Alan Day's thread on the future of the concertina has given me an idea. I'm currently finalising the keyboard layout of my new Dipper concertina and it's obviously hugely important to me (and my wallet) to get this right! I play a 28 key C Jeffries but am aware that some of the 38 key anglos have a thumb button on the left-hand-side that has a 'C' on the push and pull. It's wonderful for delivering a continuous drone/bass that doesn't require thought as to the bellow movement in the tune or positioning of the fingers. So I have been thinking - would it make sense to place another thumb button nearby that could produce an 'E' in both directions (or an 'A' or a 'G' etc) to suit other tunes?

If there is an identical thread elsewhere - apologies.

If this is a new idea, I'd welcome your thoughts and sugestions as to the best note to go for and if it's possible from a mechanical point of view. Based on your feedback, I'll mention it to Colin and Rosalie Dipper.

It might bridge the gap, in some small way, between anglo and english models?!

Best regards

Ciaran O'Grady.

P.s. Marien's picture of an ideal new concertina is very funny. I assume it would be played with the thumb!

Alan Day's thread on the future of the concertina has given me an idea. I'm currently finalising the keyboard layout of my new Dipper concertina and it's obviously hugely important to me (and my wallet) to get this right! I play a 28 key C Jeffries but am aware that some of the 38 key anglos have a thumb button on the left-hand-side that has a 'C' on the push and pull. It's wonderful for delivering a continuous drone/bass that doesn't require thought as to the bellow movement in the tune or positioning of the fingers. So I have been thinking - would it make sense to place another thumb button nearby that could produce an 'E' in both directions (or an 'A' or a 'G' etc) to suit other tunes?

Have you tried
using
such a drone button?

If you want to "get it right", I recommend that you do so before ordering.

Note that if you're actually using such a button as a drone -- i.e., holding it down constantly, -- then you'll have your thumb depressed in a fixed position, and that may restrict your ability to flexibly use your other fingers. For me that's especialy relevant, since I have rather short thumbs, and I find the thumb button awkward, even for just the occasional note.

On many anglos with a left-hand thumb button, it's not a drone. Just as common (in my experience) is notes a fifth apart (e.g., C and G on a C/G).

I believe there have been discussions here on C.net as to how common -- or useful -- a drone technique might be.

But if you really intend to use it as a drone, why not have a mechanism that you can click into place, so that you don't have to constantly hold it down with your thumb? And then if you wanted more than one option for a drone note, their positioning wouldn't be as critical, since you could "turn it on" and then leave your hand/fingers/thumb free until you wanted to "turn it off", or select another.

By the way, I have seen a couple of old anglos that had "double" thumb buttons, i.e., two buttons, quite close to each other (and somewhat smaller than the other buttons, for whatever that might be worth).

So I have been thinking - would it make sense to place another thumb button nearby that could produce an 'E' in both directions (or an 'A' or a 'G' etc) to suit other tunes?

If this is a new idea, I'd welcome your thoughts and sugestions as to the best note to go for and if it's possible from a mechanical point of view. Based on your feedback, I'll mention it to Colin and Rosalie Dipper.

It might bridge the gap, in some small way, between anglo and english models?!

Ciaran,

be aware that the word "drone" has two connotations: 1) A note or notes (usually low) that sound continuously while the instrument is playing, as in bagpipes and hurdy-gurdies. 2) An element of an instrument that is not variable in pitch, although most of the elements are of variable pitch - e.g. on bagpipes, a pipe that has no finger-holes; on fretted stringed instruments, a string that is not fretted, but always gives the same note when played; or on bisonoric reed instruments, a button that does not change note with bellows direction.

So which do you want?

A constantly sounding note will tie you to a certain tonality - a C drone is only useful in C major, C minor, C mixolydian or C dorian. If that's what you want, I would recommend the hurdy-gurdy, because the 30-button Anglo - especially when played melodically, which is when you'd want a drone - is capable of more keys than that!

I would regard the C drone (=monosonoric button) on a C/G Anglo as a way of getting a fuller C7 chord on the draw. But I would much prefer a Bb on the press, which would give me an even fuller C7. In short, I would consider a drone button on a 30-button anglo a waste of a good note!

This definitely does not bridge the gap between Anglo and English - that's been done already, with the duet. On my Crane, I can play a drone to a tune in any key, just by holding down the appropriate buttons on the left while playing the melody on the right. However, the only cases in which I'd do this are bagpipe tunes. A nice effect to have, but not worth investing a button for. Your mileage may vary.

In your position, I'd make a note ;) of the notes/directions that you sorely miss, and put the two most important ones on the 31st button.

Cheers,

John