What have I done?

Hello All!

I am brand new to the concertina world, sort of by accident, and am wondering what I've gotten myself into. I have toyed with the idea of getting a concertina for awhile, but have been put off by price issues, especially since a little lurking on the forums here has shown that the value of a cheap beginner Anglo concertina (as well as the meaning of the word "cheap") is, well, a subject of some debate. Since I'm a humanities grad student (married to another of the same, with a child due in September), money is extremely tight--even the Rochelle Anglo is well out of my range. I had sort of given up on the idea, actually, but I did keep an eye out, since I realized that, even if a cheap 20b is a piece of junk, it's still all I can afford. A couple of days ago I saw a used concertina on e-bay, and, after asking about functionality (I was assured it works and sounds great), I put in a low bid, fully expecting to lose the auction (lowballing e-bay is a nasty habit of mine--items most always go for much more than what I'm willing to pay). But I didn't.

So, my concertina should be in the mail at any moment, and the bill has already been paid. Here's a link to the posting:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=260385252764

So I'm here, on my first post to ask ... what exactly did I buy, and, given that's what I've got coming, where should I start?

Thanks to all,and here's hoping I didn't blow $50,

Ryan

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's no brand name that I can see. It may be Italian. It doesn't look too terribly old. It's certainly a 20 button anglo style. Looks like some of the buttons are out of alignment. Good possibility that these will stick down while playing. Also looks like there are no screws on the end plates for disassembly. Instead there are brads on the sides to hold the action and reed plate assemblys to the bellows housing. The description on the bottom of the diagram seems accurate from what I can see on the outside, but I'm kind of skeptical that it would have steel reeds.

Too bad the listing says no returns, If you don't like it maybe you could put it back on Ebay.

I was happy with my first one for a long time and learned quite a few tunes on it. I guess it was a good starter in that respect. At least it gave me an idea if I was ever going to be able to play one or even want to play one for that matter. I had it for about a year before I upgraded and realized what a piece of junk it was.

I think concertina beauty is in the hand of the holder. Try it, you might like it.

Hello All!

I am brand new to the concertina world, sort of by accident, and am wondering what I've gotten myself into. I have toyed with the idea of getting a concertina for awhile, but have been put off by price issues, especially since a little lurking on the forums here has shown that the value of a cheap beginner Anglo concertina (as well as the meaning of the word "cheap") is, well, a subject of some debate. Since I'm a humanities grad student (married to another of the same, with a child due in September), money is extremely tight--even the Rochelle Anglo is well out of my range. I had sort of given up on the idea, actually, but I did keep an eye out, since I realized that, even if a cheap 20b is a piece of junk, it's still all I can afford. A couple of days ago I saw a used concertina on e-bay, and, after asking about functionality (I was assured it works and sounds great), I put in a low bid, fully expecting to lose the auction (lowballing e-bay is a nasty habit of mine--items most always go for much more than what I'm willing to pay). But I didn't.

So, my concertina should be in the mail at any moment, and the bill has already been paid. Here's a link to the posting:

So I'm here, on my first post to ask ... what exactly did I buy, and, given that's what I've got coming, where should I start?

Ryan

Ryan, whereabouts do you live? Perhaps there's a fellow concertina player around who could check it out when you get it?

---

Patrick

Hi Ryan

Sadly concertinas are expensive and even more sadly, you get what you pay for. But don't worry about that! I started on a £150 concertina that kept me going for 2 years and when I could afford it I moved on to a better instrument. I got a lot of enjoyment out my old box (not so sure about the rest of my family!) and it led me on to an instrument that I love more than anything else I own. So enjoy your new concertina, accept its limitations and frustrations, and start putting away the odd $10 under the bed whenever you can afford it for that concertina of your dreams.

all the best

Nigel

Thanks for the comments and support!

My goal is basically to get my hands on one and see what it is and what I might do with it, and move on from there. So long as this'll fit that bill, I should be alright.

The lack of screws does concern me a bit, however ... does this mean I can't take it apart and fiddle with it? Half the fun with stuff like this is taking it apart and looking at the guts ...

Oh, and I'm in Rochester, NY ... any concertina folks around here?

Ryan

It's probably a Bastari or Stagi (Bastari's successor). It might be ok as a starter instrument if you don't mind the limitations of a 20-button. I started long ago on one much like it. The main thing that goes wrong with these is that the rubber tubing that holds each button in place dries out and the buttons start falling into the concertina. You should be able to repair this yourself: see "Replacing the Button Sleeves" on http://www.concertina.net/gs_stagirepair.html

Daniel

Hello All!

Ryan

You just grab the brads with pliers and pull them out -- it's actually easier than dealing with screws.

The lack of screws does concern me a bit, however ... does this mean I can't take it apart and fiddle with it? Half the fun with stuff like this is taking it apart and looking at the guts ...

It looks like it has accordion style bellows pins holding the ends on. These simply pull out but can be a bit difficult to get hold of without damaging them. Pliers will chew them to bits if they're tight; try a tack lifter from the hardware store but put a bit of thin plywood under the tool to protect the celluloid. Don't worry too much about the wonky buttons - at least they're all there. If they're hanging on by a thread pull them off, clean the old glue off the bottom and stick them back on with a bit of PVA (white wood glue, commonly called "Elmer's" in the States?).

It will never be a great instrument but you may have a lot of fun with it and at least manage to decide if the concertina is for you.

Pete. :)

I started on a cheap 20 button concertina like this.You can learn the basics from this instrument.The twenty button layout is basically the same (with the odd note difference) that you will find on a really expensive instrument,so your time will not be wasted.

The only thing about the advert that really annoys me is the use of the word "Vintage" there is no way this concertina is vintage. Vintage to me is about 50 years or older. Not " I'ts Vintage I made it yesterday, or was it the day before ?".

Al

The only thing about the advert that really annoys me is the use of the word "Vintage" there is no way this concertina is vintage. Vintage to me is about 50 years or older. Not " I'ts Vintage I made it yesterday, or was it the day before ?"

I always take "vintage" with a grain of salt. It seems that "used" is a bad word these days, so folks try to plug in words like "vintage," "pre-owned," and "classic" like they're synonyms. But really, what's wrong with "used"?

Good replies folks. It's a pleasure to hear people saying, (quite rightly, I think, in this context) go for it, learn what it can give you, have fun, etc. rather than negative comments and the "if you can't spend £1000/$1500 you're just wasting your time" type replies that you get all too often in internet discussions.

Tom

you'll have plenty of fun with it, and 50 bucks is not a waste of money if that's all you can afford. with a kid on the way, every bit counts. plus if you ever upgrade, your kid will have a wonderful instrument to play with when they get old enough.

Good replies folks. It's a pleasure to hear people saying, (quite rightly, I think, in this context) go for it, learn what it can give you, have fun, etc. rather than negative comments and the "if you can't spend £1000/$1500 you're just wasting your time" type replies that you get all too often in internet discussions.

Tom

Well, I started with a $50 POS Chinese Anglo, and eventually moved to English. It's not bad to start with cheaper instruments, decide you like it, and move up, IMHO. I might say to someone who is 100% certain that they want to play the instrument that buying the $1k-$2k instrument would be a good choice because they *could* sell it later if they change their mind...

IMHO there's nothing wrong with starting with a "student quality" (and I use the term here loosely) instrument to see if it's really for them. I'd have choked myself if I'd spent $1,000 on a quality Anglo only to then figure out I needed to play English... Much like guitars and violins have the student versions, why not with concertinas?

Besides, leave the more expensive quality instruments to the people who REALLY want to play them! I mean that a little tongue-in-cheek, of course... but there's nothing sadder than an instrument in a glass case, or a box, not being played. As it is I've told my wife that if I die, and provided my concertinas don't go with me, to SELL the instruments if she's not going to play them. She doesn't need to hang on to them as a keepsake or anything, and we've no kids to pass them to... so give someone the opportunity to learn and to pass it on! :)

In either case we need more concertina interest in this world!

---

Patrick

What have I done?

There’s good news and bad news.

You may have spent $50 on a nearly unplayable instrument which will discourage you and which you will pitch into the trash ASAP.

OR

You may have spent $50 on a nearly unplayable instrument which will simultaneously entrance and frustrate you, while possibly alienating your family and friends, lead you to devoting countless hours you don’t have in practicing, draw you into looking at better concertinas above your financial means, and eventually lead you into full-fledged concertina acquisition obsessive disorder and a lifetime of singular obsession.

I leave it to you to decide which is the good and which is the bad.

Well, I started with a $50 POS Chinese Anglo, and eventually moved to English. It's not bad to start with cheaper instruments, decide you like it, and move up, IMHO. I might say to someone who is 100% certain that they want to play the instrument that buying the $1k-$2k instrument would be a good choice because they *could* sell it later if they change their mind...

My experience was similar - I bought one of those £200 Jackie ECs as a deliberate way of finding out if the EC and I were compatible without spending loads of money.

The Jackie got my fingers and brain working, it got me started, and most importantly it confirmed that there was an EC player in me (I've tried melodeon several times and got absolutely nowhere with it), and that the EC and I were going to get on just fine.

After about 6 months I could then confidently go and spend serious money on the Wheatstone I'm still playing and loving today. If I'd not spent the smaller amount on the Jackie first, though, I don't think I'd have ever got the Wheatstone.