Lacehnal duet

I was at my local luthier this morning and observed that he had a concertina in a wooden box on the counter--some kind of Lacehnal duet. It sounds tremendous, but I don't play duet. I didn't go through it thoroughly--but of the buttons I played, only one had a slight rattle. It seems to be in excellent condition; well-tuned. I have no idea the layout configuration or anything. Appears to be rosewood ends, not metal, so bone buttons I guess, good bellows and straps, wooden storage box. Greg said he acquired it from a local man who traded it in. It's at Greg Boyd's in Missoula, MT. He's asking $800.

Edited by catty

I was at my local luthier this morning and observed that he had a concertina in a wooden box on the counter--some kind of Lacehnal duet. It sounds tremendous and appears to be a very good price, but I don't play duet. I didn't go through it thoroughly--but of the buttons I played, only one had a slight rattle. It seems to be in excellent condition; well-tuned. I have no idea the layout configuration or anything. Appears to be rosewood ends, not metal, so bone buttons I guess, good bellows and straps, wooden storage box. Greg said he acquired it from a local man who traded it in. He's only asking $800. It's at Greg Boyd's in Missoula, MT. He's asking $800.

tell him to run it on eBay, or list it in the for sale forum (not general forum).

Depending on the type of duet it is, he may get more for it than $800, though I imagine concertina sales are down due to the financial meltdown. If you can get a picture it will be identified in short order.

Edited by Hooves

Depending on the type of duet it is, he may get more for it than $800

Indeed. But we are told it is rosewood with bone buttons, so most likely it is a 46-key. In which case it if it really is in fairly good condition, concert pitch, and only a few niggles, then $800 is in the right ballpark.

Depending on the type of duet it is, he may get more for it than $800

Indeed. But we are told it is rosewood with bone buttons, so most likely it is a 46-key. In which case it if it really is in fairly good condition, concert pitch, and only a few niggles, then $800 is in the right ballpark.

So it is a MacCann???