Button Survey

To most this survey probably seems random and pointless, but to me it's very important.

I'd like everybody to lift up their concertina and push any button down that you wish, but you need to push the button all the way down.

Now here's what I need. How much of the button sticks up still? 1mm, 2 mm, 1/16in, 1/32in, more or less or possibly none at all. The more exact you can bee the better, but eyeballing it would be great too.

Thanks,

Lep

To most this survey probably seems random and pointless, but to me it's very important.

I'd like everybody to lift up their concertina and push any button down that you wish, but you need to push the button all the way down.

Now here's what I need. How much of the button sticks up still? 1mm, 2 mm, 1/16in, 1/32in, more or less or possibly none at all. The more exact you can bee the better, but eyeballing it would be great too.

Thanks,

Lep

Wheatstone EC

8.4mm before button push

4.85mm on pressed down

Steve

I have one of Bob Tedrow's anglos. They are about 3/16 inch pushed in, with about 1/8 inch of travel. I just eyeballed it though. Why the curiosity?

My old Stagi had a good 1/4 - 5/8 inch of travel and the buttons went all the way down and a tiny bit more.

Edited by Baxter

Hi

Scates English treble bone/ivory buttons 7mm normal 4.5mm depressed

Wheatstone English Baritone bone/ivory buttons 8.2mm normal 5.2mm depressed

Lachenal Inimitable English metal buttons 6.5mm normal 3.5mm depressed

chris

I have one of Bob Tedrow's anglos. They are about 3/16 inch pushed in, with about 1/8 inch of travel. I just eyeballed it though. Why the curiosity?

My old Stagi had a good 1/4 - 5/8 inch of travel and the buttons went all the way down and a tiny bit more.

Well, I'm trying to make my own concertina and I was trying to decide how low the buttons should get when they're pushed in.

Why the curiosity?
Well, I'm trying to make my own concertina and I was trying to decide how low the buttons should get when they're pushed in.

"Should", as you may have gathered from the reported measurements, seems to be somewhat a matter of the builder's personal taste.

And unless the buttons go down far enough for your finger to touch the end plate (a feature more likely to be found in German- or Italian-made instruments than in English-made ones, in my experience), then the height above the end shouldn't really matter.

I think that what should matter is 1) the length of travel (which also varies somewhat, even among English-made concertinas), and 2) the height difference between the buttons (either up or down) and the hand bar (on an anglo or duet) or the thumb loop and pinkie plate (on an English). Consider the possible difference in the latter between instruments with flat ends and those with domed ends.

But note also that the length of travel may be greater in old instruments where the pads have been gradually compressed over time, so that the buttons are situated marginally higher when not pressed than when the pads were new.

Thanks,

Lep

Four boxes to report:

Stagi Hayden Duet -- zero left sitcking up, ie, flush with the end plate

Jack EC -- about one mm, give or take -- I'd go with the 1.5 mm someone reported for his Rochelle.

Bastari Hayden Bandoneon -- 1 mm or less

Chinese EC -- none, and the buttons feel and operate pretty poorly

FWIW, I really prefer no more than 1 or 2 mm, so part of my fingertip touches the end plate.

I hate those skinny buttons that are still standing way proud of the end plate (1/4" or 6 mm) -- they just seem awkward and give poor tactile feedback, especially with the pinky.

Yes, many professional instruments have the high buttons. I guess if you practice 8 hours a day you can get used to anything ;)

Maybe I will too.

--Mike K

Edited by ragtimer

Thanks,

Lep

Four boxes to report:

Stagi Hayden Duet -- zero left sitcking up, ie, flush with the end plate

Jack EC -- about one mm, give or take -- I'd go with the 1.5 mm someone reported for his Rochelle.

Bastari Hayden Bandoneon -- 1 mm or less

Chinese EC -- none, and the buttons feel and operate pretty poorly

FWIW, I really prefer no more than 1 or 2 mm, so part of my fingertip touches the end plate.

I hate those skinny buttons that are still standing way proud of the end plate (1/4" or 6 mm) -- they just seem awkward and give poor tactile feedback, especially with the pinky.

Yes, many professional instruments have the high buttons. I guess if you practice 8 hours a day you can get used to anything ;)

Maybe I will too.

--Mike K

Sherwood 7mm - 4mm

I started with a Rochelle with low buttons and the higher buttons of the Sherwood did feel funny to begin with, but I've now got quite used to them now and no longer stab down the gaps between buttons - well, no more than I did on the Rochelle!

Pete

Wheatstone Æola English (1926): 7 mm - 4 mm.

I would guess that on many instruments there is a little bit of variation from button to button but that sufficient familiarity with the particular instrument makes this of little or no consequence. In a perfect world there would be no variation in button travel, spring pressure, reed reaction etc. etc. but does anyone out there inhabit that perfect world ?