Played a Hohner "Concertina"

I was in the local big music chain shop the other day looking for a new whistle and generally harassing all of their instruments. I Found a lone concertina shaped bag amongst all of the band instruments, and was surprised that it contained a concertina. I pulled it out and squeezed out a few jigs, while the employees all watched (I guess they've never heard anyone that can actually play the thing). MAN is it ever a piece of junk! My Rochelle plays like a dream in comparison, I could barely get the notes to sound at all. And as I'm playing along on the thing, one of the hand straps flat out breaks in half.

I'm amazed that Hohner would even put its name on such junk, as I have a fair respect for their accordions, at least the older ones. It had a price tag of $330, I don't think it's worth a cent of that. They truly are as bad as everyone makes them out to be.

PG

Yeah, Hohner never quite got the hang of making a decent concertina (although I'd buy a Hohner accordion in a New York minute).

But remember, in the dark days before the existence of Rochelles, Hohner concertinas were the best "intro" options we had -- at least those of us who refused to go the toilet-seat-red-pearloid Chinese box route.

Hope they didn't make you buy it because "you" broke the handstrap!

Rhomylly, you might want to take a cooler New York minute to see how old the Hohner accordion is; I have a German made 2-row about 30/40 years old that emits a fine, euphonious roar. The brand new Chinese made one turned out to be fit only as a decoration on a shelf. Both are Hohners, only the one is playable <_< Disappointing to hear about the concertinas. It's too bad that a respected company has fallen into such sloppy ways.

Cheers,

Rob

I believe Hohner is relying more on their name than their quality. It is the same in their other products, too; I have played harmonicas, their flagship product, for years and theirs have never been good for me.

FAL

name='Pgidley' date='Apr 1 2009, 12:20 AM' post='92614']

...MAN is it ever a piece of junk! My Rochelle plays like a dream in comparison, I could barely get the notes to sound at all. And as I'm playing along on the thing, one of the hand straps flat out breaks in half.

I'm amazed that Hohner would even put its name on such junk, as I have a fair respect for their accordions, at least the older ones. It had a price tag of $330, I don't think it's worth a cent of that. They truly are as bad as everyone makes them out to be.

PG

Some Bastari type Hohner 30b concertinas are better than todays china made plastics Hohner concertinas.

But even compared to these old Hohners the Rochelle action wins.

Edited by marien

Some Bastari type Hohner 30b concertinas are better than todays china made plastics Hohner concertinas.

But even compared to these old Hohners the Rochelle action wins.

I play a Hohner English for about 27 years and it is still in a good condition and the sound is okay.

27 years ago they weren't made in China, were they? I also believe their reeds were made by Delicia then.

Look at Disney. After Walt was gone, and the company usurped by unsatiable goblins, all went down the toilet, except the compensation progression.