Cost of Noel Hill camp?

Could someone PM me the approximate cost of a week long Noel Hill's camp? I am just pondering the idea of going at the Catskills one in july, but I'm still not sure if I could manage to take the week off or could manage financially. Anyhow, if someone would let me know how much she/he paid for a previous year, it would be greatly appreciated. I might email Noel directly later about pricing etc if I get a clearer idea. Thanks.

As was pointed out, contact Linda for the latest 2009 info. But if memory serves, the Midwest class in 2008 cost about $800-$850 for tuition plus room/meals. That normally also gets you one evening concert too. Do allow for memory lapses on my part and possible repricing from last year. Linda will require about a $150 deposit now and the balance around May 1st, so that lets you know when you have to ante up.

Good luck and I know you'll have a great time if you go. I'm headed back for my 13th year!

Ross Schlabach

As was pointed out, contact Linda for the latest 2009 info. But if memory serves, the Midwest class in 2008 cost about $800-$850 for tuition plus room/meals. That normally also gets you one evening concert too. Do allow for memory lapses on my part and possible repricing from last year. Linda will require about a $150 deposit now and the balance around May 1st, so that lets you know when you have to ante up.

Good luck and I know you'll have a great time if you go. I'm headed back for my 13th year!

Ross Schlabach

looking through my records, 2008 in the midwest cost a total of room, board, and tuition at $730. including concert, that's about $745. housing may be a little more or less depending on where it is held.

Ah David! I knew someone would have the exact amount. But as a retired banker, I'm done with all that recordkeeping -- at least on anything not required to do one's taxes!

Looking forward to seeing you and the rest of the gang in Erlanger this summer.

Regards,

Ross

Ah David! I knew someone would have the exact amount. But as a retired banker, I'm done with all that recordkeeping -- at least on anything not required to do one's taxes!

Looking forward to seeing you and the rest of the gang in Erlanger this summer.

Regards,

Ross

haha. well... records is just my polite way of saying, "email."

yeah, i'm super excited for this year as well. every year i just end up learning so much, and i'm going to have my new carroll, so i feel like i can finally start to get some work done.

Azalin,

There will be at least a couple of Carrolls at Irish Arts week in East Durham this year. Randy Merris will be there and he has a beautiful black #41 Carroll.

I will be there with #2 that was made four years before Randy's.

And while I can't promise it it will be done in time I may have a fancy Carroll Bb/F with a few new twists.

BTW Waiting time for a Carroll is now in the 2 & 1/2 year range. Just time enough to make the final payment with the economic recovery!

Greg

Azalin,

There will be at least a couple of Carrolls at Irish Arts week in East Durham this year. Randy Merris will be there and he has a beautiful black #41 Carroll.

And while I can't promise it it will be done in time I may have a fancy Carroll Bb/F with a few new twists.

BTW Waiting time for a Carroll is now in the 2 & 1/2 year range. Just time enough to make the final payment with the economic recovery!

Greg

Wow, Irish Arts is very tempting then... I wasn't sure if I was going this year...

Noel Hill Camp...is that the replacement for Guantanamo Bay? :lol:

I heard it's even worse than Guantanamo Bay :lol:

Gitmo for concertina players? Don't give anyone any ideas we may live to regret.

you know, part of me doesnt think any of this is a joke.

edit: now that i think of it, i used to call concertina camp "concentration camp," cuz you had to focus so hard to get through the week.

Edited by david_boveri

Stop taunting us with your Carroll!! I'm starting to get jealous ;-) I hope I can try one in Catskills if I go, if someone will own one anyway.

i cant help it. i've been waiting 3 and a half years for it. that's longer than i've known most people.

Azalin,

Greg

4 years... by my recollection, #9 was completed in august of 2005. so, 4 years ago gives us april of 2005. seems like you might be a bit off in your time frame. but... lets see.

i believe it was also in 2005 that wally quoted me a production time of 6 weeks per concertina, while working on two at a time. that gives us 6 weeks times 4 (meaning yours would have been in the first batch of two), which is 24 weeks. taking an average of 4 weeks/month, that gives us 6 months. august is the 8th month, 8 minus 6 is two, giving us february at the earliest. so, four years seems reasonable, considering that 4 years is about what we would get from this model.

there are several problems with this model, of course. i do not know when he started making more than one at a time, and i do not know his initial production times.

however, doing a quick search on cnet puts the date of delivery of #2 at a week before july the 24th, 2004.

so, then it does seem that still, we are within 4 years (in so far that we have not hit 5 years), and it is only in rounding up that we hit 5 years.

so, it seems i lose this one, greg:

greg's autobiographical memory: 1

david's tacit knowledge of carroll concertina production: 0

but back to the original thread:

plane ticket: $286

bumming ride: $50

concertina: $5k

room and board: $400

tuition: $350

concert: $15

cd: $20

getting to leave noel's camp to nurse your bruised ego: priceless

Edited by david_boveri

Stop taunting us with your Carroll!! I'm starting to get jealous ;-) I hope I can try one in Catskills if I go, if someone will own one anyway.

i cant help it. i've been waiting 3 and a half years for it. that's longer than i've known most people.

Azalin,

Greg

4 years... by my recollection, #9 was completed in august of 2005. so, 4 years ago gives us april of 2005. seems like you might be a bit off in your time frame. but... lets see.

i believe it was also in 2005 that wally quoted me a production time of 6 weeks per concertina, while working on two at a time. that gives us 6 weeks times 4 (meaning yours would have been in the first batch of two), which is 24 weeks. taking an average of 4 weeks/month, that gives us 6 months. august is the 8th month, 8 minus 6 is two, giving us february at the earliest. so, four years seems reasonable, considering that 4 years is about what we would get from this model.

there are several problems with this model, of course. i do not know when he started making more than one at a time, and i do not know his initial production times.

however, doing a quick search on cnet puts the date of delivery of #2 at a week before july the 24th, 2004.

so, then it does seem that still, we are within 4 years (in so far that we have not hit 5 years), and it is only in rounding up that we hit 5 years.

so, it seems i lose this one, greg:

greg's autobiographical memory: 1

david's tacit knowledge of carroll concertina production: 0

Gee, Dave, I knew if I kept after you you would finally pay attention!! :lol: It does not matter to me what you have learned. :blink: (But admitting your miscalculation is encouraging! ;)

A couple of factors have changed in the past 4 & 1/2 years (I'll give you that .5 ) at Carroll Concertinas. Wally Carroll has done the research and made the commitment to acquire the latest technological to aid in making a great concertina. He has also hand picked and trained the team that now helps him build Carroll Concertinas. Coupled with Wally's continuing innovations we can offer a unique world class instrument with a delivery time of 30 months.

Dave, we just finished yours and I can truly say it is quite nice. I personally will be holding your feet to the practice fire because there will be no excuse for distractions once you receive this instrument. Play on!!

Greg

It's nice that Carroll is improving the wait time... but what about the quality of the reeds? I mean, better technology doesn't necessarily mean better sounding/reacting reeds. Did the sound/action of Carroll's reeds improve over the years? I've never heard one so it's not as if I could compare myself. There's always the risk that when you train new people to be able to develop faster, the emphasis will be put more on the production speed than the actual quality. I'm not saying it's the case here, just saying it's often a business fact.