2 Songs

Well played, (and sung) Steven. Intriguing one-handed playing!

Don't want to be Mr Grumpy, but it does bug a lot of people quite considerably when "tunes" "instrumentals" etc are referred to as "songs."

Songs involve singing, and I've never yet heard words from an Anglo!

All the best

Tom

Don't want to be Mr Grumpy, but it does bug a lot of people quite considerably when "tunes" "instrumentals" etc are referred to as "songs."

All the best

Tom

I tend to agree with that sentiment generally, but I'm not sure I'd be so hard on him here. I heard singing in the 2nd item.

I'm not sure "tunes" is any better as a word for this genre, as a tune is usually just 32 bars of melody and these are fully realized performances. I'd call them both "pieces," but the 2nd one is certainly a song.

All the best

Tom

I know where you are coming from Tom. I'm constantly pulling American musician's legs about this, over on the Dulcimer Forum, where they are forever calling Tunes Songs ....... but of course they do call Songs ............... Songs! :blink: ;)

Some claim that it is only folks in the south of the country, who are guilty of this sloppy practice, but I'm not convinced. ;)

However, I do look forward to David explaining the difference between a piece & a tune!

Does a piece not have a melody then? & if it does, then surely we can call it a tune.

Or could a piece perhaps also be defined as a collection of tunes? ;)

If that is the case, then surely a piece that only has one tune, must only be regarded as a tune, not a piece?

On the other hand though, short, incomplete sounding little bits of melody within a piece of music could, I suppose, be described as pieces of tunes! :ph34r:

Of course you do know that if you come north of the border, up there, a Piece is actually a Sandwich! :P

"Piece" - a packed lunch or snack, usually bread with a filling.

A "jeelly piece" is a jam sandwich.

A "play piece" is a mid morning snack at school, eaten at the "play time" break in lessons.

A Piece

Cheers

Dick

P.S. Now look what you've started, Steven! :rolleyes:

:lol:

P.P.S. Sorry for straying off topic David. 3.gif

From the South of the country? Now what is that about Dick? Let's make fun of crackers, hillbilly's and peckerwoods?

My heritage is firmly in that camp and I was raised in said South. We have enough history to be ashamed of without that do-dah added as well <_< .

With today's mobile society here in the States it would be very hard to look for regional purity as to culture or lack there of.

I teach at a small New England college. It has only been since my arrival here and having Music Apperciation thrust upon me that students calling everything a song has become a part of my everyday life.

We work on terminology every, I mean every week :( . Without fail, when it comes time to write a review paper or make a class presentation, they doggedly revert back and call every damned thing that makes sound a...song.

I am defeated...utterly. The only remedy is single malt scotch ;) .

In all honesty, I do enjoy Music Apperciation and the students, even the ones who loathe everything I love.

Edited by Mark Evans

All the best

Tom

It's just a figure of speech, like Mr. Dipper's "Sings Well," no? If the instrument is singing, it's singing a song in it's own way. ;)

However, I do look forward to David explaining the difference between a piece & a tune!

Does a piece not have a melody then? & if it does, then surely we can call it a tune.

A piece might have several tunes in its melody line, as well as some accompaniment besides. Would you call Beethoven's 9th Symphony a tune? That would be as silly as calling a tune a song. The eight bars that make up the melody of the Ode to Joy are certainly a "tune." But there are many other melodies and other types of figures in the piece.

The first "number" in Steven's performance at the top of this thread is no more a "tune" than it is a "song."

I teach at a small New England college. It has only been since my arrival here and having Music Apperciation thrust upon me that students calling everything a song has become a part of my everyday life.

My take on this recent phenomenon is that we can blame it on iTunes and other commercial interests that make money selling music on the internet in individual units ("songs") rather than albums.

My take on this recent phenomenon is that we can blame it on iTunes and other commercial interests that make money selling music on the internet in individual units ("songs") rather than albums.

No doubt a contributing factor....but I taught my first music appreciation class in the fall of 1998. Everything was a song even then. Uber-song terminology it seems has very long roots in the culture.