This is to let you know that Rich's family is planning a celebration of his

life for Sunday, April 19, at 1 p.m. at the Sunderland Public Library. We

realize that for many of you, travel to western Massachusetts would be

impractical, but we hope that all who would like to attend will figure out a

way to make it work.

The address of the library is 20 School St., Sunderland, MA. You can find

directions online at

http://www.sunderlandpubliclibrary.org/Abo...irections.shtml

Please pass the date along to anyone you think would like to know about it.

Weather permitting, it will be an outdoor event.

Thanks, and thanks for the many messages of sympathy and appreciation.

Regards,

The Button Box Staff

I'll already be in the neighborhood from the workshop the previous day. I'll certainly go.

I just received this from the Button Box:
Hello,

This is to let you know that Rich's family is planning a celebration of his

life for Sunday, April 19, at 1 p.m. at the Sunderland Public Library. We

realize that for many of you, travel to western Massachusetts would be

impractical, but we hope that all who would like to attend will figure out a

way to make it work.

The address of the library is 20 School St., Sunderland, MA. You can find

directions online at

http://www.sunderlandpubliclibrary.org/Abo...irections.shtml

Please pass the date along to anyone you think would like to know about it.

Weather permitting, it will be an outdoor event.

Thanks, and thanks for the many messages of sympathy and appreciation.

Regards,

The Button Box Staff

I'll already be in the neighborhood from the workshop the previous day. I'll certainly go.

I was planning to hang around till early SUnday PM at the B. Box anyway, so I expect to show up for it.

Wonder if anyone will play concertinas at the event? Maybe we could all play one of Rich's tunes in unison. Just a thought.

--Mike K.

I'd like to be there as well, and think Mike's suggestion is wonderful.

Thanks.

Now what tune might we use? I gently suggest the Morris tune that David Barnert posted the ABC for.

It's pretty simple, can be played on one row of a C/G or G/D, dignified enough, and it represents another facet of Rich's life.

--Mike K.

I would suggest, that standard notation be offered as well (it's all some of us old dogs know how to read).

I've not been to one of the workshops, for I'm more of a meet, and get to know folks by playing tunes, much like the wonderful afternoon I had at NEFFA with David and Jim. It might be a good way to thank that good man, some folks playing boxes informally in his honor.

On March 11th I did the Gaelic Traditions concert again at the jobsite. Before the everyone else arrived I sat in the Chapel and played my Morse and was just damned well overwhelmed for a bit. Had to get hold of myself. It might do a number of us good to play together. I don't guess I spoke more than a couple of sentences to Richard since I meet him in 2004, but I've played Albion #209 every day and it brings a smile to my face every time.

Oh well, someone please post the dots. I'd like to do it justice.

Edited by Mark Evans

Mark-

I am unable to post attachments, as my limit has been reached. But follow the instructions I posted in the other thread for making a pdf here when Frank asked the same question and e-mail me if you have trouble. The abc code you need to copy is two messages above it.

Wonder if anyone will play concertinas at the event? Maybe we could all play one of Rich's tunes in unison. Just a thought.
I'd like to be there as well, and think Mike's suggestion is wonderful.

A fine idea, but should that be all?

I remember Michelle G.'s untimely death. (Not a squeezer, but a few folks here may know who I mean, and I'm pretty sure Rich knew her.) The funeral was a very private affair, but a month later her parents hosted a gathering of her friends, as a celebration of what her life had been about. Of course we talked, and we had our quiet moments. But we played music! We danced! We celebrated! We were heartbroken, but we were joyful... because that's what she would have wanted!

I'm quite sure that Rich would want the same.

I'm very sorry that I can't afford to fly over from Denmark to be there, but I'll damn well play some tunes... maybe even dance a Morse Morris jig. :)

Of course we talked, and we had our quiet moments. But we played music! We danced! We celebrated! We were heartbroken, but we were joyful... because that's what she would have wanted!

I'm quite sure that Rich would want the same.

I'm very sorry that I can't afford to fly over from Denmark to be there, but I'll damn well play some tunes... maybe even dance a Morse Morris jig. :)

Well said Jim. I would want that as well.

David, I'll try the instructions and see what comes of it.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Everyone,

I am Rich's cousin Jill. I recently discovered your postings about Rich; the depth of feeling expressed and geographic range of your postings were very moving to view. We are very grateful for your messages of support and sympathy. On behalf of Rich's family I want to extend to all of you a personal invitation to attend Rich's memorial celebration this weekend. Indeed, the condolences must be returned to you folks as well. It was as much a shock to us as it was to your community. He was diagnosed just after his annual Christmas visit to Rochester (NY); the illness progressed much more rapidly than any of us, including Rich, imagined it would. We have all been caught 'off guard'.

The memorial celebration is being held, in part, to help us recapture Rich's 'joie de vivre' and shake off the shrouds of sadness. I'm sure Rich would want us to 'make a joyful noise'; in that music we will surely feel his warmth, see his smile and hear his laughter. So, please come if you can. After a small program of speakers and performances by Button Box musicians, we would feel honored to receive whatever musical offerings you may bring.

Warm regards,

~ Jill (Morse) Menezes

Sunday, April 19th at the Sunderland Public Library

directions: http://www.sunderlandpubliclibrary.org/Abo...irections.shtml )

12:30 pm – 1pm find the library

1pm – roughly 2pm – Program (interior room @ Library)

Speakers

Musical interludes

2pm – 3pm – Reception

Food – refreshments will be provided

More Music!

In addition to the above we are hoping to enjoy a slide presentation, impromptu musical offerings, and weather permitting some Morris Dancing. The tone of this celebration will be informal; please wear what you like, what is comfortable. Bring yourselves, musical instruments if you have any, and your memories of this beloved man, friend, father, brother and son.

You are invited also to upload any photos or stories you’d like to share on Rich’s new Wiki site: http://richmorse.pbwiki.com

See you Sunday,

~ Jill M.

post-7618-1239902016_thumb.jpg

Mark-

I am unable to post attachments, as my limit has been reached. But follow the instructions I posted in the other thread for making a pdf here when Frank asked the same question and e-mail me if you have trouble. The abc code you need to copy is two messages above it.

I figured out the ABC (I think) and have posted the "dots" plus my idea of proper chords, under the heading "Rich Morse's Morris Tune" in the Tunes/Songs category. I put it there a couple days ago, but just now re-discovered this thread. Hope it's in time for those coming to NCW.

I plan to be at the Library memorial, and hopefully to play this tune.

--Mike K.

Edited by ragtimer

Hello Everyone,

I am Rich's cousin Jill. I recently discovered your postings about Rich; the depth of feeling expressed and geographic range of your postings were very moving to view. We are very grateful for your messages of support and sympathy. On behalf of Rich's family I want to extend to all of you a personal invitation to attend Rich's memorial celebration this weekend. Indeed, the condolences must be returned to you folks as well...

Thank you, Jill.

Your post is immensely satisfying on so many levels. Besides answering questions we all were probably wondering but afraid to ask (OK to bring an instrument? What to wear?), it is also gratifying to know how the family feels about Rich's "other family."

I'll be there, with bells on (on 2nd thought, I'll likely leave my Morris bells home, although it's nice to know they'd be welcome).

From the other thread, but now relevant here as well:

He wrote a tune widely used by Morris dance groups for the dance "Three Musketeers." It also goes by the name "Mr. Morse's Morris." Here's the abc:

X:1
T:Three Musketeers
C:Rich Morse
M:C|
K:G
GABc d2G2|e3e  dBG2|GABc d2g2|edcB AcBA|
GABc d2G2|e3e  dBG2|c2ec dBAG|E2F2 G4  ||
G2G2 E2E2|F2FE D2F2|G2E2 F2D2|E2F2 G2A2|
GABc d2G2|e3e  dBG2|c2ec dBAG|E2F2 G4  |]

I'm not sure if the last 3 notes in the first line are part of the tune or embellishment, but it hardly matters...

Greetings from the Red Roof Inn, near the Button Box. The Northeast Concertina Workshop weekend got started tonight with an open house at the BB and when Doug Creighton heard me and Mike K (ragtimer) playing Rich's tune, he handed us photocopies of the composer's manuscript. The handwriting is what you'd expect from someone who's day job was an architect. The tune is a little different from how I learned it (and posted it, above). Some of the differences are likely because I learned it wrong. One looks like it may be an inaccurately written note in the manuscript.

Anyway, here is the abc for the tune as Rich penned it, including his chords (and his complete title, including the word, "The").

X:2
T:The Three Musketeers
P:A
|: "G"GABc d2d2|"C"e3e "G"dBG2|   GABc	 d2g2|"Am"edcB "D"A2-A2 |
  "G"GABc d2d2|"C"e3e "G"dBG2|"C"c2ec  "G"dcBA|"D7"D2F2 "G"G2-G2:|
P:B
|:"Em"G2G2 E2E2|"D"F2FE   DEF2|"Em"G2E2 "D"F2D2| "C"E2F2 "D7"G2A2 |
  "G"GABc d2d2|"C"e3e "G"dBG2|"C"c2ec  "G"dcBA|"D7"E2F2 "G"G2-G2:|

Editing music is difficult enough when the composer is available to answer questions (isn't that right, Alan?). That not being the case, I wrote what I saw, and offer these notes:

• The last note in measures 1, 5, and 13 is a d where I learned a G. Folk process at work.
  • My (2nd) guess turned out to be right about the end of measure 4. The notes I posted earlier are an ornament, not part of the tune as Rich wrote it.
  • I have no idea what Rich was trying to do in the 2nd half of measures 4, 8, and 16: Why pairs of tied quarter notes (crochets) instead of half notes (minims)?
  • The 2nd half of measures 7 and 15 is decidedly different from how I learned it. Rich writes it the same way twice, so one has to assume he knew what he was doing and that I learned it wrong. And yet...
  • The first note in measure 8 really looks to be below the E line, making it a D, although eight bars later it is clearly an E in the same context. It is not as completely below the line as the other D's in the tune, however, so my guess is that it should probably be an E. But I wrote what I saw, and it looks like a D, so that's what's in the abc.

I'll ask around at the workshop tomorrow. Maybe someone (Doug?) who knew Rich better can shed light.

Wish I could be there this weekend with you all! But this is also my big concert weekend for my chorus, as well as Moving the Son Into His Apartment weekend. I'm thinking of you all, and wish you all the best, especially as you gather tomorrow to remember Rich.

I'll ask around at the workshop tomorrow. Maybe someone (Doug?) who knew Rich better can shed light.

Well, I spoke to Doug about it. He is as puzzled as I am. He was aware of the discrepancies and said "That's not how I play it." I said "But is it how Rich played it? He said "It's been so long since I heard Rich play it, I don't know." So there we are.

Great workshop, by the way. Doug dedicated the evening concert to Rich's memory, and several of the performers also mentioned that their performances or particular tunes that they played were also dedicated to Rich.

Anyway, here is the abc for the tune as Rich penned it, including his chords (and his complete title, including the word, "The").

X:2
T:The Three Musketeers
P:A
|: "G"GABc d2d2|"C"e3e "G"dBG2|   GABc	 d2g2|"Am"edcB "D"A2-A2 |
  "G"GABc d2d2|"C"e3e "G"dBG2|"C"c2ec  "G"dcBA|"D7"D2F2 "G"G2-G2:|
P:B
|:"Em"G2G2 E2E2|"D"F2FE   DEF2|"Em"G2E2 "D"F2D2| "C"E2F2 "D7"G2A2 |
  "G"GABc d2d2|"C"e3e "G"dBG2|"C"c2ec  "G"dcBA|"D7"E2F2 "G"G2-G2:|

David, I'm sorry to have posted a couple replies to this under the "Very Sad News" thread instead of here.

Anyway, I've audited my camera movies and the woman accompnying the women's Morris side plays it much as Rich's manuscript shows, but with an E instead of the (mis-notated?) D in the final D2-F2-G4 ending, just as you and I had been playing it.

I don't recall that she uses the Am chord at all. Puts a /B bass under the G chords on the way up to the C.

In the B section she does the DEF run in the 2nd measure, as RIch notated.

SHe seems to end each section with chords Em-D-G, rather than C-D-G, but it's hard to hear the bass note.

Remind me your email address and I'll send you the AVI movie files, if my ISP is in the mood for big uploads today.

Maybe you figured all this out in real time already, just watching the dancers ...

--Mike K.

Edited by ragtimer