Angel of Death

While Al's adding names to his list - "Come the revolution....."

Is it just me or does anybody else on C.net get surprised when seeing his picture that he doesn't look exactly like his C.net avatar? :unsure:

Shaving off my moustache has made a big difference.

Since this photo I have been flying around all over the place.

In County Clare next Week !!! :ph34r:

Al ;)

It wasn't the moustache, it was the devil's instrument that's gone missing. It is difficult to imagine Alan Day without a concertina. Maybe that is why David mixed you up with the devil. ;)

By the way. is there anyone around C.Net who would like to try and play the rolling stones track "sympathy for the devil" on a concertina? Or would just "sympathy" (the sly and the family stone track) be more appropriate?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By the way. is there anyone around C.Net who would like to try and play the rolling stones track "sympathy for the devil" on a concertina? Or would just "sympathy" (the sly and the family stone track) be more appropriate?

nope but 'paint it black' or 'Satisfaction' would be on my list ;)

Actually I was thinking about the fact that Morris dance is originally a Spanish dance,

would English morris dancers still know that?

Depends on how you're defining "know." The Spanish origins of Morris are a subject of dispute in the Morris world, with a decided lack of agreement on the moresco=>Morris etymology...there was a recent kerfuffle on the subject on the Morris Dance Discussion List (MDDL, or Muddle). Whether or not it can ever be proven, though, it seems a likely theory that the dances/plays celebrating the defeat of the Moors could lead to similar things in England, and while I don't know how that would have led to the Cotswold, Border and North West dances we know today, there's been plenty of time for all sorts of evolution to take place.

Joshua Mackay-Smith

The Commonwealth Morris Men

Just wanted to say "Hi" as a brand-new member of Concertina.net. I have a very cheap and cheerful Anglo that I'm getting to grips with fairly slowly, and when I get the time. (I'm primarily a guitarist, banjo an mandolin player, with a bit of fiddle on the side).

However, my main claim to fame here is that I'm the one with the digital camera who snapped Alan with the Angel of Death at the Elephant & Castle in Lewes last Saturday and, as you can see, they make a bonny couple...

Kind regards,

Will Fly

Actually I was thinking about the fact that Morris dance is originally a Spanish dance,

It seems is more complex than that... Actually, the more I know the european traditions, the more stunned I become! In the basque country, north Spain, is still danced the 'spatadantza': Only for men, dressed in white and with swords - espada - or sticks. Rings a bell? The music is usually provided by a 'txistulari', a musician who plays a 'txistu' - three-hole tabor pipe - and a drum.

I get married in England next May, and my fiancée told me about a dance of people around a tree or pole interlacing ribbons - We've exactly the same thing here! So, I think that a lot of traditions shared all around Europe could be not only pre-mediaeval, but even of pagan origin; rooted in out indo-european origin.

And changing subjet, watching the other day 'A Mater of Loaf and Death' - brits know what I'm talking about - I was tempted to write to Aardman to suggest they make a story of W & G into a Morris dance context: I couldn't think about anything more quintaessentially english! :lol:

Cheers,

Fer

Perhaps she was playing in the same band as this...... 3347674240_fe36eb2637.jpg

Your posting Annl reminds me of a notice in a builders yard in Battersea (SW London)

"Trespassers will be Dealt With"

Welcome to this site Will,I did not know you had a concertina.You can now see what you started here.

Al

nope but 'paint it black' or 'Satisfaction' would be on my list ;)

Leave us not forget "Hells Bells" by AC/DC. Seems I've seen some button organs with bells on 'em.

Your posting Annl reminds me of a notice in a builders yard in Battersea (SW London)

That is actually much more accurate than "Trespassers will be prosecuted", since, as a matter of civil law, they never are. If I ever had reason to put up a similar sign myself, it would probably say "Trespassers will be persecuted".

Incidentally, Angel seems to be holding something with something written on it, which looks like it is in Cyrillic script. I can't work out the left hand end of it, as there is a reflection on it, and then it bends out of sight at the right hand end. Do you know anything about that?

Just wanted to say "Hi" as a brand-new member of Concertina.net. I have a very cheap and cheerful Anglo that I'm getting to grips with fairly slowly, and when I get the time. (I'm primarily a guitarist, banjo an mandolin player, with a bit of fiddle on the side).

However, my main claim to fame here is that I'm the one with the digital camera who snapped Alan with the Angel of Death at the Elephant & Castle in Lewes last Saturday and, as you can see, they make a bonny couple...

Kind regards,

Will Fly

Will Fly! I've been visiting your youtube videos and playing some of your arrangements for a while now, on guitar or duet concertina. I never realized you were in the UK and was much surprised to see you linked with Alan Day (the Angel of Death not so much). Welcome to this forum.

Depends on how you're defining "know." The Spanish origins of Morris are a subject of dispute in the Morris world, with a decided lack of agreement on the moresco=>Morris etymology...there was a recent kerfuffle on the subject on the Morris Dance Discussion List (MDDL, or Muddle). Whether or not it can ever be proven, though, it seems a likely theory that the dances/plays celebrating the defeat of the Moors could lead to similar things in England, and while I don't know how that would have led to the Cotswold, Border and North West dances we know today, there's been plenty of time for all sorts of evolution to take place.

Joshua Mackay-Smith

The Commonwealth Morris Men

Hmmm... maybe my word "fact" was not appropriate, we can't proove anything. But the rest of the world may possible not decide on lack of agreement. For those who don't know the theory, here are some lines.

Musicological sources describe that Morris is a derivation from the sword dance "la Morisce" as performed for the first time in the 15th century when the Spanish defeated the "Moores" and chased them back to Africa (Maybe we should thank the people from Morocco for having Morris dances?) La Morisce is a dance that tells the story of the sword fight against the Moores. Many sword and stick dances are derivations of these "morisce" dances. The dance spread out over Europe in a couple of centuries and became popular in northern parts in Europe (France, Flandres, the Netherlands and England). Music pieces called "la morisce", "la morisca" and variants are popular round 1600-1700. The French seem to have imported Morris dance in England, where people still use swords and sticks for this dancing. Enough for me to accept that it is originally a Spanish dance, but of course, traditions change and without any doubt there are very much local changes, that lead to the typical English Morris dance tradition of today.

"... trespassers will be persecuted..."

Years ago I lived at the end of a road very aptly named Pot Hole Pass. Even showed up on my driver's licsence.

At the top of the road a sign was nailed to a tree with just that injunction crudely painted on it in drippy orange paint.

Thing was, he was serious!

His name was Larry Morris.

Wierd, huh?

Will Fly! I've been visiting your youtube videos and playing some of your arrangements for a while now, on guitar or duet concertina. I never realized you were in the UK and was much surprised to see you linked with Alan Day (the Angel of Death not so much). Welcome to this forum.

Stephen - glad to know my stuff has been useful - and thanks for the welcome. Al and I first met up some months ago when I started to go to the same singaround as him in a village not too far from me. (We'd already chatted on the Mudcat Forum). I've listened to many concertina players, over the years, but Al's playing is something else, IMHO - and his "Anglo International" compilation is a must.

I'm an absolute novice on the instrument myself - mainly because I don't spend enough time with it but, come August (when I retire) I shall get serious with the damned thing!

That is actually much more accurate than "Trespassers will be prosecuted", since, as a matter of civil law, they never are. If I ever had reason to put up a similar sign myself, it would probably say "Trespassers will be persecuted".

Incidentally, Angel seems to be holding something with something written on it, which looks like it is in Cyrillic script. I can't work out the left hand end of it, as there is a reflection on it, and then it bends out of sight at the right hand end. Do you know anything about that?

Sorry Ivan no idea what was on it.I will take a look next time and let you know.

It may be something like

V-te for Pre--dent Bus- but not sure

Al ;)