Music for English Concertina arranged by Boris Matusewitch

blatherskite

Hi everyone,

I just finished scanning a collection of music I had recieved years ago when I purchased my concertina. You can see the images on my Picasa web album

Here's the description I put with it.

"Many years ago I purchased an English Concertina, and along with the squeeze box came a stack of music. I had not paid any attention to it over the years, until just recently. You can learn more about Boris and the Matusewitch family in this online essay: http://www.ksanti.net/free-reed/essays/matusewitch.html. I recently contacted his son Eric who graciously gave permission to distribute this material. Since I don't really read music well, I have not been able to play much of this music. Though it certainly is great incentive to! I would be most interested for others who can read music to share and enjoy this collection!"

And it would be fabulous of someone could record it and let me hear what it sounds like!

cheers,

Ed

This is a very important collection Ed.

Would you mind if the ICA kept a copy of it for their archives?

I would be grateful for the information as to how you copied it all.

Thank you for making these available.

Gregori Matusewitch " Czadas" is featured on English International .

Al

Don't mind a bit, it would be great if the ICA kept copies! Actually, does the ICA have a physical archive, and would you be interested in the originals?

As far as copying them, well, all the ones that were already on 8x11 paper I just photocopied and then scanned the photocopies. I didn't want to try to run originals through my cheapie scanner.

About 1/2 of them were on the larger format paper, I guess it's standard paper for orchestral music. These I took to the local office supply box store, with a $10 photocopying coupon I had, and reduced them to 8x11, all the while being entertained by a curious gentleman in bicycling gear who was photocopying model airplane wing patterns to send to someone who was going to build a model racing plane...but I digress...

The only magic was that some pages had writing on them from the very top to the very bottom, and were too big to copy and reduce in one pass. So I copied them in two passes, scanned both pages, and used the photomerge tool in Adobe Photoshop Essentials to assemble a single image.

Enjoy!

ed

This is a very important collection Ed.

Would you mind if the ICA kept a copy of it for their archives?

I would be grateful for the information as to how you copied it all.

Thank you for making these available.

Gregori Matusewitch " Czadas" is featured on English International .

Al

• 2 weeks later...
Guest troach

Yes, thank you for making these arrangements available.

Much appreciated.

With all the software now being used to produce sheet music, it's great to have these pieces written by hand. Makes it very personal.

Do you know who copied them out? Whoever it was, they couldn't have imagined that their work would someday be so widely available. I'm sure they would be very pleased.

Cheers.

Don't mind a bit, it would be great if the ICA kept copies! Actually, does the ICA have a physical archive, and would you be interested in the originals?

ed

The ICA does have a physical archive (the library!) We are currently thinking about ways to make it more widely available. We would be very interested in this collection. Do not post the originals!

Roger Gawley, ICA Secretary

• 5 years later...

And it would be fabulous of someone could record it and let me hear what it sounds like!

I know this is a ancient thread, but I had reason to look into where I'd got a copy of "Round the Samovar" which is in the list above (many thanks!), since I made a rough recording of it many years ago. So I thought I'd post that here, in case it had slipped under the radar... It's a very nice arrangement, I think.

http://rowlhouse.co.uk/concertina/music/samovar.mp3

very nice.

I have hundreds of copies of music Boris and Gregori wrote or copied. I also have some original manuscripts on onion paper from Gregori's hand. Cool stuff.

Boris and I used to argue about some of the changes I would make to his arrangements when I played them. I like odd chording and harmonies. The way he taught me and his style of arranging had a huge impact on how and what I play.

rss

• 1 month later...

OK, today I pretty much sweated blood---but I did finally get this offered manuscript music downloaded--onto my new Mac computer--where nothing seems to be very intuitive about where it goes. I had to search a long time just to find "documents". Then I put it in Dropbox---oh,oh--these are Jpegs; I cannot load these into forScore on my IPad. I think about it for awhile doing some housework. I loaded each piece onto a Mac "Page" and turn it into a PDF. Then I reloaded into a folder and into DropBox. I still could not load folder as an entirety into forScore. So I downloaded the individual pieces once again into forScore and then finally regrouped them into a Boris Matusewitch folder. I do so struggle with computers. But I'm giddy with the end result--all nice and tidy in its own folder.....WHEW. So now I need a concertina guru; a Mac guru; and a software guru. Maybe in my next life??? When do I get to play my concertina?? And thank-you Ed, for this share. These pieces will give me something to gnaw on for awhile.

Edited by shelly0312

• 2 weeks later...

I know this is a ancient thread, but I had reason to look into where I'd got a copy of "Round the Samovar" which is in the list above (many thanks!), since I made a rough recording of it many years ago. So I thought I'd post that here, in case it had slipped under the radar... It's a very nice arrangement, I think.

Thank you for reposting Danny, this is really inspiring in its rhapsodic approach...!

Best wishes - Wolf

Thank you for reposting Danny, this is really inspiring in its rhapsodic approach...!

Best wishes - Wolf

I'll second that Wolf. What a delightful little piece (pity it's such a rough recording...- I think not). Can't say I could fault the playing at all Mr RatFace. Perhaps my critical appreciation is just not refined enough! In the last week I've made the first tentative steps to learn this which will take me some length of time.

Now I'm so glad RatFace has another name.

• 3 months later...

Sorry I've been away from the forum so long, but I'm really glad folks were happy to see Boris' music that I posted.

Listening to the recording by RatFace made me think:

I can neither read this music easily nor play it easily. In fact it's torture for me, because I really need to hear first.

So, would there be any interest out there amongst all y'all who can play, of making recordings of you playing one or more of these? I could only offer to collate, perhaps edit, and distribute by some means, the final collection. I think I'm better on the computer end of things than on the squeezing end.

Randy Stein, what do you think? Since you studied with him way back, would you have any thoughts? Has this been done already by someone?

Ed

• 3 weeks later...

I've transcribed Rigaudon into abc notation, I don't know why I picked that tune other than it was for two concertinas ... I've attached a midi file so that you can hear how it sounds. I know it's not a recording but thought it would give you an idea of how it sounds!

Sorry, no midi file, it won't let me upload it. Maybe as I'm on my tablet? I'll try on my pc at some point this week!

Ed: let me know if you have abc software and I'll pm you the abc text.