New Home for C&S Readers' Tapes

How well I remember when players first sent in tapes. The tunes & styles opened new vistas.

As far as Joel & John are concerned; I recall an old tune "The Erie Canal", and "I'm the only SOB left to tell the Tale".

Cheers All,

Geo

The ICA's Concertina World must come close if not equal!

Where C&S beats just about any mag I've seen before or since was in its graphics, layout and general appearance, stemming from Joel's undoubted abilty as an artist. It was also full of great articles, some of significant scholarly merit (I'm thinking of long articles like Harry Scurfield's piece on South African squashbox). Concertina World can't match it graphically as yet, and the articles are shorter and chattier, but if you take the Papers of the International Concertina Association (PICA) as well, them in terms of breadth and depth of coverage of concertina topics I think the ICA's publications equal and sometimes exceed C&S. Yet another reason to consider joining us!

Chris

As I understand it from Ed, the text is digitised from the sleeve notes that came with each cassette. Now I could take the lazy way out and say: these are a historical document and it would be criminal to update them, but I don't think that's a good idea ...

Best would probably be to preserve the original liner notes minus obvious typos, but also have a corrected (and more consistently formatted) track list.

If anyone spots any typos or errors could they report them here. In a week or so I'll take what we have and apply the lot.

There are multiple occurrences of "Reader's Tape" rather than "Readers' Tape".

http://www.concertina.org/sound_archive/Ca...dSqueezebox.htm :

"Each tape has it's own directory" -> "Each tape has its own directory"

"At the bottm of each" -> "At the bottom of each"

"the addreess shown on the liner" -> "the address shown on the liner"

http://www.concertina.org/sound_archive/Ca...eadersTape.html :

"on tha basis of originality" -> "on the basis of originality"

"next incredible.effort, Revenge" -> "next incredible effort, Revenge"

In the tracklisting, many colons lack a following space.

In tracks A10, A13, and A14 I believe the "I" is supposed to be a separator, so should be replaced with a forward slash.

Track B4: "Kevin K.eegan's Waltz" -> "Kevin Keegan’s Waltz"

"pleased to oiler three" -> "pleased to offer three"

"primitive equipment Indeed!" -> "primitive equipment indeed!"

Again, the tracklisting is occasionally lacking a space separating the track name from the other information.

"Crane System Duet Concefth,a" -> "Crane System Duet Concertina"

Track A7: "Crossing Ihe Shannon" -> "Crossing the Shannon"

Track A10: "Ril ganainm" -> "Ril gan ainm"

Track B9: "(O’Hegarty @1973)" -> "(O’Hegarty ©1973)"

Track B10: "taditional" -> "traditional"

Track B14: "harinonium" -> "harmonium"

Track B15: "harmoniun" -> "harmonium"

"playing a Hayden quintet" -> "playing a Haydn quintet" (this error is probably in the original)

"with All Edwards andFrank Butler" -> "with Alf Edwards and Frank Butler"

"policy from the beginnin," -> "policy from the beginning,"

Track A1: "(LachenalEnglish Concertina)" -> "(Lachenal English Concertina)"

Track A6: "Iohn Townley" -> "John Townley"

Track A11: "Irish Traditiona)." -> "Irish Traditional."

Track A13: "Klintworth Gones Anglo Concertina)" -> "Klintworth (Jones Anglo Concertina)"

Track A13: "Tune by I. Klintworth." -> "Tune by J. Klintworth."

Track A16: Possibly "Over the Waves to Skye"?

Track B3: "AID Melodeon" -> "A/D Melodeon"

Track B7: "Jones GID Anglo" -> "Jones G/D Anglo"

Track B10: "(leffries 28-key CIG Anglo Concertina." -> "(Jeffries 28-key C/G Anglo Concertina)."

Track B11: "Hayden Quintet" -> "Haydn Quintet" (again, probably in the original)

"playing of JODY KRLJSKAL" -> "playing of JODY KRUSKAL"

"composition The Procrastimition Waltz" -> "composition The Procrastination Waltz"

"recordingThe Water Kelpie" -> "recording The Water Kelpie" (also italicisation)

"FormerC&S Editor JOHN TOWNLEY,and" -> "Former C&S Editor JOHN TOWNLEY and"

"Qot Pik Waltz" -> "Oot Pik Waltz" (or possibly "Ook")

"of Concertina & SqueezeboxMagazine" -> "of Concertina & Squeezebox Magazine"

Track A1: Only part of the title is hyperlinked.

Track A2: Odd italicisation.

Track A5: "Weasle" -> "Weasel"

Track A6: "&LEANNE PONDER" -> "& LEANNE PONDER"

Track A7: "(Dipper Shantyman Anglo Concertina,fiddle etc*" -> "(Dipper Shantyman, Anglo Concertina, fiddle, etc)*"

Track A8: "Wheat stone" -> "Wheatstone"

Track B3: "( Wheat stone" -> "(Wheatstone"

Track B8: "nelodeort" -> ??? (Melodeon?)

Track B10: "(w/HohnerTrichord3-row Gb/A accordion)" -> "(w/Hohner Trichord 3-row G♭/A accordion)"

Track B11: "Sonata in 13b" -> "Sonata in B♭"

Track A7: "(Dipper Shantyman Anglo Concertina,fiddle etc*" -> "(Dipper Shantyman, Anglo Concertina, fiddle, etc)*"

Not so sure about that first comma, there is such a thing as a Dipper Shantyman Anglo Concertina, an elegant model offered by Colin Dipper, at least for a time.

Ken

Hi All,

I think the mixup on some of the links may be my doing. While I did scan the liner notes, I had to manually create each link and match them to the sound files, since as you know, the analog tape doesn't have any metadata like a CD does. I'd say we should just correct the text as much as possible so it works, and just provide scans of the original liner notes for the historical record.

ed

I'd say we should just correct the text as much as possible so it works, and just provide scans of the original liner notes for the historical record.

You've saved me an email, Ed. I was going to ask for scans of the covers. Nanette Hooker uncovered a wrong link involving Dark Island which I've already sorted.

Chris

I'd say that the best thing to do would be to show scanned images of the liner notes, rather than the character-based OCR scans that are up now. There are a number of mis-scans from the OCR, most spectacularly "Concefth,a" (preumably meaning concertina) on "Son of...". I can probably provide image scans of the liner notes if needed, though my current scanner isn't a great one. The OCR scans can of course work as a first draft for the links, which is essentially how they're up now.

Daniel

I'd say we should just correct the text as much as possible so it works, and just provide scans of the original liner notes for the historical record.

You've saved me an email, Ed. I was going to ask for scans of the covers. Nanette Hooker uncovered a wrong link involving Dark Island which I've already sorted.

Chris