jeffries

Marien

A concertina I saw on ebay drew my attention, but I won´t place a bid.

The reeds are very very rusty, too bad to buy it I´ld say.

Still it looks like a jeffries Duet with raised ends,

but how about the inscription "C.Jeffries" on one end,

it looks different from what I have seen so far on jeffries tina´s.

Can anybody tell whether this signature looks okay for a Jeffries concertina?

It is here on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/EARLY-20th-C-CONCERT...%3A1|240%3A1318

Marien

... how about the inscription "C.Jeffries" on one end,

Marien,

The inscription would be typical of a very late instrument, such as this one.

Yes, it was in fact made literally 5 minutes walk from where I now live, in Kilburn, NW6. The house still stands. Someone should lobby to have a blue plaque put up! <_<

Chris

Yes, it was in fact made literally 5 minutes walk from where I now live, in Kilburn, NW6. The house still stands. Someone should lobby to have a blue plaque put up! <_<

Chris

Somebone who is a concertina player and lives nearby perhaps...

Edited by Theo

A concertina I saw on ebay drew my attention, but I won´t place a bid.

The reeds are very very rusty, too bad to buy it I´ld say.

Still it looks like a jeffries Duet with raised ends,

but how about the inscription "C.Jeffries" on one end,

It is here on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/EARLY-20th-C-CONCERT...%3A1|240%3A1318

Marien

Over £4000 for a box with a very rusty set of reeds, and a system played by so few people that you can count them without even taking your socks off! How long, I wonder, before it resurfaces as an Anglo?

So who does still believe in a crisis? Strange market these days.

I have never seen a duet for that kind of money, even without the rust....

... a system played by so few people that you can count them without even taking your socks off!

You mean there are less than 2 players of this duet layout in the world? :huh:

Marien

Over £4000 for a box with a very rusty set of reeds, and a system played by so few people that you can count them without even taking your socks off! How long, I wonder, before it resurfaces as an Anglo?

£4100 - Staggering!!

Mind you an unrestored Jeffries Anglo went at auction 2 days ago for £1900.

Steve

£4100 - Staggering!!

Mind you an unrestored Jeffries Anglo went at auction 2 days ago for £1900.

Steve

It isn't that long (say 2 years) since I saw a restored and playable jeffries duet go for £1500. Prices do seem to be insane at the moment, and I know that there's a slightly strange trend going on to buy concertinas for investment. What I wonder is how much the last purchase price contriubutes to the real perceived value of the concertina in question. In a commodity so rare as vintage boxes, there's a real danger of inflating the market by people piling in with crazy ebay bids. Still, handy if you already have a vintage instrument sitting around :)

... it was in fact made literally 5 minutes walk from where I now live, in Kilburn, NW6. The house still stands.

Chris,

I used to pass the house several times a week, back in the '80s when I was courting a red-haired Irish girl who lived in Dunster Gardens!

Ah, those were the days, Stephen. We probably passed each other in the street with out realising it. Mind you, I don't have red hair! They say that nostalgia isn't what it used to be. I am inclined to agree.

Chris

You know, Gav, I think this would be a pretty lousy investment at this price..........around £1500 or so has been the selling price for some time now even if you can find a buyer. The price seems to hover only just around the value of the reeds.

It would be years before this investment comes good...........much like any other investment, really !!Robin

You know, Gav, I think this would be a pretty lousy investment at this price..........around £1500 or so has been the selling price for some time now even if you can find a buyer. The price seems to hover only just around the value of the reeds.

It would be years before this investment comes good...........much like any other investment, really !!Robin

That was my feeling - I thought the end price was pretty eye popping for what it was. I guess I'm just wondering how much this kind of crazy bidding affects the normal day to day price of concertinas. Hobgoblin in Manchester, UK, have a Jeffries Anglo for over £6k at the moment. People are frequently putting lachenals up for sale with £1800-£2000 starting prices which does seem surreal. No doubt that duet will pop up on ebay again as is, or will be anglified and be sold at over the £6k mark - still won't clear the initial outlay, and that is going to be a pretty epic clean up and retune.

I missed this one on e bay, but I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned that the date (1925), the address and the comparitively crude fretwork on this duet all indicate that it was made by Charles Jeffries Junior.

Either that or it is a truly miraculous instrument as Charles Jeffries Senior ( the master concertina maker) had been dead for around 20 years by 1925 and I've never heard of another instrument being made "on the other side"

On Tommy Williams' Springtime in Battersea LP I recall he was very scathing of the intruments made by Charles Junior describing them as "shocking" if my memory is correct. Let us hope that the new owner didn't buy a very expensive pig in a poke.

John.