Music Scene in Montreal

Guest troach

Guest troach

Hello,

I'm new to this forum so, forgive me if this is the wrong way to communicate this question.

Anyone familiar with Montreal?

I'm planning a trip there in early April. Any tips on local places to hear Quebecois or other good local music would be appreciated. It doesn't have to be free-reed related.

Last time I was there, I found the Yellow Door (?) and some other clubs. Just wondering if there is a local music scene that's not listed in the entertainment section of the paper.

Thanks for your help!

Well, I've lived in Montreal for the past 25 years but I sadly don't know much about quebecois music places/events, maybe ZiziAllaire could help you better. I know there's a quebecois session, or used to have one, on tuesday evenings, and some quebecois dances on a saturday once a month or so... I'm only into the irish music scene. You might improve the odds of getting good quebecois music by going a bit further north in Quebec city but I can't say for sure. Let me know anyhow if you wanna come to an irish session while you're here.

Guest troach
Well, I've lived in Montreal for the past 25 years but I sadly don't know much about quebecois music places/events, maybe ZiziAllaire could help you better. I know there's a quebecois session, or used to have one, on tuesday evenings, and some quebecois dances on a saturday once a month or so... I'm only into the irish music scene. You might improve the odds of getting good quebecois music by going a bit further north in Quebec city but I can't say for sure. Let me know anyhow if you wanna come to an irish session while you're here.

Thanks Azalin,

Yeah, I've been told I'd have better luck finding Quebecois Music in Quebec City. Really, just good, live music is the goal. I just thought since I was in the region, I'd try to find regional music. There's some contemporary music coming out of Quebec that's quite intriquing, as well. I'm looking forward to being in Montreal again. We had a lot of fun there last time.

Thank you for the kind offer of info regarding a session. When we get our plans together, I'll take you up on that. I'll be coming to listen, if it's open to that.

Cheers!

Check out this site for links to quebecois music and dance links.

http://www.spdtq.qc.ca/ danse et musique traditionnelles

I've not been able to attend one of the Montreal dances, but the dancers and callers look terrific, and people I know who've attended have really enjoyed them.

I have attended dances and sessions in Quebec City, 4 years ago, so can't speak to how current my information is. I attended a great session at a restaurant called "O Patriot" on a weekday evening, and danced at wonderful dance in a historic building on the grounds of a park called "Domaine de Maizerets" The session was held weekly, and the dance monthly.

We thought it would be easier to find traditional music and dance than it was, same for our last trip this summer in Southern Quebec.

If you find some gem, please pm me. Thanks

Guest troach
Check out this site for links to quebecois music and dance links.

http://www.spdtq.qc.ca/ danse et musique traditionnelles

I've not been able to attend one of the Montreal dances, but the dancers and callers look terrific, and people I know who've attended have really enjoyed them.

I have attended dances and sessions in Quebec City, 4 years ago, so can't speak to how current my information is. I attended a great session at a restaurant called "O Patriot" on a weekday evening, and danced at wonderful dance in a historic building on the grounds of a park called "Domaine de Maizerets" The session was held weekly, and the dance monthly.

We thought it would be easier to find traditional music and dance than it was, same for our last trip this summer in Southern Quebec.

If you find some gem, please pm me. Thanks

Thanks CheeseNote!

If I find anything special, I'll be sure to post it when we return.

The main Québécois session in MTL is now on Wednesday nights in the bar Vices et Versa. I would think you'll find the music there is as good as anything you'll hear in Quebec City or anywhere else, on a good night at any rate. Just now Genticorum are not on tour so with luck you'll find fiddler Pascal Gemme (he is most definitely a "gem", Cheesenote) at the centre of the action.

Vices et Versa

6631 St-Laurent Boulevard Montréal, QC

514-272-2498

For other trad events in QC, there is an online calendar at http://mnemo.qc.ca/

Guest troach

Thanks Robin,

We're up just for the weekend but I'll keep that in mind for future trips! Montreal is a great place. We'll be back!