Riveting Levers?

Jewish Leprechaun

Lep,

Last time I checked the local instrument tool supply they were out of stock of concertina lever crimpers and rivets. ;-)

So here is what I did to fix the broken lever on a Jonesy I have: Bought some bronze flat guage strips from a local artists supply; Cut them to length spec; measured, marked and drilled them where the rivet should go; used a small piece of hard bronze wire; held the wire in a vice while I hammered one end flat; removed the wire from the vice and sanded it smooth; cut the rivet to be to length; sanded again; assembled the mess; set it up on a small anvil and hammered the open end of the rivet.

Hammer too hard and the lever won't lever. I bought the hammer and anvil at the same artist supply I got the bronze parts from.

The drill I used was just a Dremel tool set up in a small $40 Dremel tool drill press/jig (nb - 20 yeara old price).

Have fun, go slow, budget enough material for a practice rivet kit or 2, it was easy!

Dan

:unsure: I'm trying to put some levers together for my concertina. What does everybody use to rivet levers? What size (thickness) are they? And most important where can I get the rivets and a riveting tool for them?

Thanks,

Lep

:unsure: I'm trying to put some levers together for my concertina. What does everybody use to rivet levers? What size (thickness) are they? And most important where can I get the rivets and a riveting tool for them?

Thanks,

Lep

I never thought about it - I looked at old designs and did it like this:

close-up of rivet (photo #6) - and the tool (photo #2)

The "rivets" are simply small pieces of 1.5 mm brass wire. With a flat lever

post, the diameter of the rivet should probably be a little more, say 2 mm.

/Henrik

Thanks,

Lep

There are a few suppliers of small brass flat head rivets online, but they are mostly in the UK, I am still trying to order some myself. The ones that I saw were 1/6" dia. If you are going to go with the 1/4" round stock post, you can get some small brassing rod at the local weld shop, or the K&S supplier at the hardware store.

Good luck!

Jon

I just couldn't resist the temptation: rivet away here !

And to really get off the thread: you can click on any rivet and get to it's specs,

where you can even manipulate the rivet in 3D space :rolleyes:

What I would call multimedia overkill, I could think of more interesting applications ;)

/Henrik