What is Mr. Kelly playing here?

Interesting audience reaction, correction lack of reaction!

They looked as if they were suffering. A curious reaction to such superb playing.

Ian

I've seen a similar reaction on other youtube vids particularly of Irish trad players. They seem to have forgotten that its dance music and they should all be up and moving, instead of listening reverently (or pretending not to be there)

I'm not sure if this is a later Wheatstone, or something else. Nice tone, and seems to play just fine for him!

Ah, yes! Wonderful stuff!

And yes, reactions differ (though the video was cut at the end of the last chord - who knows what happened after that?)

/Henrik

Steven,

You might know the answer to the related question, what concertinas did John use on the Topic/Free Reed LP (now reissued as a cd)?

I think there is at least one track that sounds like the Crabb and is in the right pitch for it (as also the tracks on the old Seoda Ceoil LP also featuring Willie Clancy).

From the tone and pitches, I always assumed that some other tracks on the Topic LP were made on a high-pitch Bb/F concertina rather than John's 1960s Crabb. Of course this is leaving aside the tracks that are identified as "double-reeded concertina" (which may be a couple of different German instruments, or possibly one of those tracks identified as on the German concertina is actually on a London-made one).

When I asked James Kelly about this, he thought that his father might have been playing a Bb/F instrument loaned to him for the recording, possibly by Neil Wayne.

But the liner notes to the new cd reissue specifically state that the recordings, where not on the double-reeded instrument, used John's 1960s Crabb.

??

I think I remember Aoife, John Jr's daughter, mentioning that she had both her grandfather's Crabb and his Jeffries, so maybe that solves the mystery.

A related issue is that some of the tracks on the Free Reed recordings may possibly have been shifted in pitch, if alternative instruments were not used (only speculating here, but compare the two tracks of "The Blue Gentian Waltz" included on the reissue cd of Chris Droney's "The Flowing Tide").

PG

Edited by Paul Groff

thanks for sharing the link! i've never seen john playing the concertina on video, only fiddle. for some reason i just assumed there were no recordings. i'm glad to have been disproved!

they used to not react very much in the videos. it is a cultural difference. they were on tv, and they well knew it. to them i am sure it was a formal occasion, and they acted formally. tv was new then, and there were social codes about how you acted in public which have since disappeared. i am sure they would have thought it inappropriate to move around and whoop while they were being recorded for all to see. also, the biggest factor would be that people were watching them--and indeed, we today are making comments about their behavior. they knew that they were not audience members, but were on stage. imagine instead of sitting behind the camera, you were sitting next to the musician on stage.

i also have a suspicion there was an expectation of behavior put on them by producers. does anyone know if this is true? i have been at a taping of the wheel of fortune, and the producers got frustrated because we were not clapping enough and made us feign more excitement. i wonder if back then they were encouraged not to be too animated.

if you look at the other old videos that were not in studios, people were much more animated and acting more like you would expect. you can see some from as far back as the sixties where they act in a way that would be much more akin to our expectations.

thanks for sharing the link! i've never seen john playing the concertina on video, only fiddle. for some reason i just assumed there were no recordings. i'm glad to have been disproved!

they used to not react very much in the videos. it is a cultural difference. they were on tv, and they well knew it. to them i am sure it was a formal occasion, and they acted formally. tv was new then, and there were social codes about how you acted in public which have since disappeared. i am sure they would have thought it inappropriate to move around and whoop while they were being recorded for all to see. also, the biggest factor would be that people were watching them--and indeed, we today are making comments about their behavior. they knew that they were not audience members, but were on stage. imagine instead of sitting behind the camera, you were sitting next to the musician on stage.

i also have a suspicion there was an expectation of behavior put on them by producers. does anyone know if this is true? i have been at a taping of the wheel of fortune, and the producers got frustrated because we were not clapping enough and made us feign more excitement. i wonder if back then they were encouraged not to be too animated.

if you look at the other old videos that were not in studios, people were much more animated and acting more like you would expect. you can see some from as far back as the sixties where they act in a way that would be much more akin to our expectations.

Thanks David for this explanation.

Ian

I think I remember Aoife, John Jr's daughter, mentioning that she had both her grandfather's Crabb and his Jeffries, so maybe that solves the mystery.

Paul,

I don't know about the album, though James may well be right - I'll have to ask John junior if he knows, next time I see him. But I can solve the mystery of the high pitch Jeffries Bb/F that John senior later had (and that Aoife now has), because I sold it to him!