Incredible Thank You Note

SAMANTHA & FOLKS: don't think it's for me to say how it went. . . . .obviously, i'm a bit biased. . . . . .perhaps someone who was there would like to chime in about the event. . . . . .

i can say that each of the saturday workshops had about 10-12 people. . . . . .the concert was a bit on the long side. . . . . .it certainly had variety. . . . . . .everything from morris dances to victorian parlor songs to a concerto for concertina and string orchestra written in the 1960s. . . . . . . .

but i will leave any comments about quality, aesthetic worth, etc etc etc to others...........

AGAIN: thanks to those who came. . . . . . .

I could not make the concert owing to my work schedule.

I was at the anglo workshop with Jody Kruskal on Saturday. Well worth the trip! He showed a versatile approach to students of many different levels and interests. I found his feedback to be very helpful and right on the mark. I think there were 8 students in the anglo group. I'll confess I spent some of our assigned practice time yakking with John Townley, who I met when I discovered he was sitting next to me. He says he has been out of contact with other concertinists for "seven years." He is a writer by trade, and after editing Concertina and Squeezebox magazine he may be tired of writing about concertinas, but I told him his contributions are welcome on these pages anytime.

After the workshop we invited the English players in and about half of each group stayed for a jam. I was there for about an hour's worth. Great fun and a nice bunch...a small taste of the Squeeze-In!

Hi Folks:

OK.

A view from a somewhat newbie.

I happily attended the events of this past weekend with trepidation having never really been exposed to any formal concertinatizing outside of my private lessons and the recordings I've managed to accumulate over the past year or so since I started playing.

This was an excellent overview of the world of concertina playing and enthusiasm, which when I think about it, was jam packed into only around 5 hours worth of events.

A lot of firsts for me.............

* My first exposure to a community of wonderful concertina enthusiasts, both players and non-players. The folks I met were friendly, welcoming and concertina crazy! I was nice to meet some of the Concertina.net faces including Gail, Dave and Sheree. I'm guessing there were others. Maybe next time we need to wear badges or something, but then agian that would contribute to the formality that I personally would rather avoid. I also was amazed seeing your instruments. I've only actually handled maybe 4 or 5 in my first year, so just seeing a large variety of concertinas was fascinating to this fledging. All sorts of models, manufactuers, designs, etc. Pretty neat!

*My first (as far as I can recall) exposure to the world of "classical" concertina playing and composition. Wim's amazing performance of the composer James Cohn's "Concerto For Concertina & Strings". I got a chance to speak with the composer, who was in attendance, prior to the performance, who was quite thrilled to finally hear a public performance of his work, which was commssioned way back in 1966 by Allan Atlas. Amazing to see an instrument like the concertina in this orchestral setting, especially after many years of playing "classical" saxophone, another seldom used (at least way back then) orchestral instrument. I have kind oa personal appreciation for seeing and hearing seldom used instruments in this setting. This performance will be memorable, especially for this reason.

and

*Allan Atlas' very sensitive and moving performances while "accompanying" mezzo-soprano, Julia Grella also accompanied by dulcimer player, Bill Ruyle. Gorgeous playing.

and

*Jody Kruskal's moving and beatiful compositions which he wrote to accompany local performances of some of William Shakespeare's plays, which easily stand alone and which I hope, as I told Jody, he would someday soon record for all to enjoy.

*My first attendance at a performance of any form of English folk dance (probably since the New York City Board of Education attempted to force it down my throat in junior high school), this being acouple of very impressive performances by the Half Moon Sword Dancers accompanied by Jody Kruskal and fiddle player Michael Gorin among others who's names I do not have at hand (sorry about that)

*My first attendance at any sort of concertina workshop. A very informative, though somewhat scattered discussion of technical matters, technique, compostional arrangement, instrument comparison, etc. lead by Wim Wakker, a real gentleman and a wonderful source of concertina information.

*My first attendance at any sort of session type gathering outside of (again) my private lessons.

By the way, a big thank you for those who were in attendance at this session (if that's the right term) who made me feel welcome and did not seem judgemental whatsoever in having a newbie join in. This world is a big departure from my experiences in the classical music world years ago. You folks were warm, intelligent and talented! I only look forward to the day where I'll feel as comfortable playing in this type of situation as you all seemed to be.

ALSO (not meaning to go overboard, just being honest and enthusiatic)

*Amazing and inspiring performances by Jody and Tom Kruskal.

Wow, their playing was incredible. How do you do that??????????

Anyway, that's my review.

Yes, definitely enthusiastic!!

I've been enthusiastic about playing, listening and reading about the concertina over the past year and feel fortunate that I live close by so attendance at these events was possible. With much thanks to Allan and the others who organized this and made it happen. It was a good place to widen my concertina connections. I look forward to "The Incredible Concertina 3" and regret having to have missed the first one which I believe took place just as I was starting to get interested.

And now I'm really looking forward to The Northeast Squeeze-in.

And finally, now down to practicing.

Best,

Perry Werner

I can't add much to Perry's review. The concert was wonderful. Unfortunately, I didn't get to do much socializing, since I had a very tired wife in tow.

Tom and Jody Kruskal opened up whole new vistas for me. This was my first exposure to the English style --I came to the concertina via Irish music -- and I expect I'll be working on learning it.

Edited by dbowers