Very sad news

Rich was one of my earliest acquaintances in the Concertina world. I met him at NESI 2008 and he was my partner for one of the dances at the Saturday night Contradance. He was very gentle, cheerful, helpful as I was learning/relearning the steps, always encouraged me, always smiled, light on his feet, a pleasant person to be with on an occasion. I remember him as very kind, warm and welcoming and a good dancer, very knowledgible and helpful, had a buoyancy to him, just being around him gave you confidence, made you feel better about yourself and the world.

I'm grateful to have met him where I think he was happiest, at NESI, amongst friends and encouraging beginners. God bless his soul. May we meet again someday in some form perhaps. May his spirit of kindness live on at NESI's to come.

Priscilla

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was devastated when I heard the news about Richard yesterday from a long standing friend of the folk music community here in Australia. I had been in contact with Rich over the past months regarding concertina design, as we shared an intense interested in the mechanics of our beloved musical boxes. I had only spoken to him via telephone a few weeks prior to his death and was absolutely floored when I heard the news. He was an inspiration to me in the very short time that I got to know him and he has prompted me to pursue my research with vigor. I can't believe that he is gone and that I had the privilege to have go to know him, albeit for such a short period.

Rich ....... the legacy that is the concertina lives on and so too will your memory ...... rest in peace my friend ...... we will miss you!

Andrew Nettleton

Sydney, Australia

Edited by Andie

Very sad to hear about Rich. I was not aware of the music he wrote. What might be fitting is from now on using one of his compositions as the processional from the main house to the barn at the NESI. Doug Barr

That's a great idea, Doug!

Now, the two tunes of Rich's that I know (The New Box and Leap of Faith) are not really suitable for the NESI march -- wrong styles, and hard for beginners to play.

But if anyone knows of a Rich Morse tune that would work, please let's hear from you.

--Mike K.

Edited by ragtimer

Very sad to hear about Rich. I was not aware of the music he wrote. What might be fitting is from now on using one of his compositions as the processional from the main house to the barn at the NESI. Doug Barr

Now, the two tunes of Rich's that I know (The New Box and Leap of Faith) are not really suitable for the NESI march -- wrong styles, and hard for beginners to play.

But if anyone knows of a Rich Morse tune that would work, please let's hear from you.

--Mike K.

The tune that I posted in post #62 in this thread should work.

But I'm not sure anybody from the Button Box reads this forum. I don't believe I ever saw any of them but Rich actually post here. Bob Snope would be the one to discuss this with, as he generally arranges the processional (and wrote the tune we have been using the last few years).

I only attended one of the Squeeze-ins, so forgive me for being so bold, but....

It seems that the entire weekend would be a tribute to Rich in some way. It might be nice to have some continuity and keep the possesional tune from years past.

FJB

I have been busy putting lessons learned from Rich and other mentors to the purpose of producing some of these wonderful instruments. Richard offered knowledge and plans for the asking of tools. I wrote and talked with him of milling concertina reeds for him on the CNC if I could get the code right.

Right now I cry and I am not ashamed. I have lost a teacher and someone who could have been a friend (did not know him long enough or well enough to presume that title). He encouraged and demand that i think things out and work towards understanding more than just the simple mechanics.

To his family and friends, if any read here, I surely hope that he plays for dancers in heaven now. May the gentleness of God comfort your hearts in this time of loss.

Michael

--Mike K.

But I'm not sure anybody from the Button Box reads this forum. I don't believe I ever saw any of them but Rich actually post here. Bob Snope would be the one to discuss this with, as he generally arranges the processional (and wrote the tune we have been using the last few years).

They do at least occasionally, but if you want an idea to get to them directly don't use this forum to contact them since they have a perfectly good e-mail at their web site.

Dana

I haven't been on C-net for awhile, but I just got this email from my dear friend Carol Compton who works at CDSS:

"For those who had any reason to know Rich Morse, builder of concertinas, owner of The Button Box - he had been recently diagnosed with quite advanced cancer and died last night - at home. Another tough loss for the morris community."

I am surprised to see nothing here, and I don't have regular access to internet these days, but I wanted to come straight to this fine community and share my sadness at the loss of a wonderful man.

Ouch!

I kind of missed the whole thread, being consume by my petty business (what surprise!).

And today I saw a thread with words: "...in memory of Rich Morse", and thought that this thread must have something to do with it.

Indeed!

Such simple words:"has been recently diagnosed... and died last night at home". Even comforting. God knows what suffering, that hasn't been shared with us, it contains. This news are becoming way too familiar to all. It begins to look like we, the survivors, are dodging bullets: "who's next?" (knock on the wood).

All the little quarrels become unimportant and their emotional impact even indecent in light of such thunderous devastation.

All is gone now, his work on new designs, expectation for rich patron, modernization of machinery - all that was so important, gone to nothing.

I hope he was working to the last day, through the pain, through the impossible. Life does have Heavy Hand after all.

Very sobering news, terrible.

All is gone now, his work on new designs, expectation for rich patron, modernization of machinery - all that was so important, gone to nothing.

That was my initial reaction (I've been waiting with bated breath for Rich's new Hayden Duet design) -- and of course I lost a friend too.

But, let's wait and see how much of Rich's work gets carried on by the Button Box. ISTR his new Baritone English made it into at least prototype if not production, and more may follow. The Hayden Duet was to be based on the Baritone technology. I hope we'll hear something soon about future plans.

Very sobering news, terrible.

Total agreement with that :(

--Mike K.

Edited by ragtimer

--Mike K.

OK David, very fine -- I sussed out this tune from the ABC, and I think it fits all the criteria for a March to the Barn at NESI.

Rhythmic, strong, simple, and harmonized with the Big Three CHords (G, C, D), tho an Em and Am can be fit in well too.

Plus, it's used in an important Concertina tradition, the Morris Dance.

I think we should push for this one this Fall.

Say -- ahs there ever been a demo of Morris dancing at NESI? I'd liek to see what it looks and sounds like.

Rich was a very smooth contradancer. DId he dance Morris too?

--Mike K.

OK David, very fine -- I sussed out this tune from the ABC, and I think it fits all the criteria for a March to the Barn at NESI.

Rhythmic, strong, simple, and harmonized with the Big Three CHords (G, C, D), tho an Em and Am can be fit in well too.

I would think the B section begs for an E minor chord at the beginning.

You make it sound like a competition. I wouldn't be surprised if the folks at the BB know many Rich tunes that we don't, perhaps some better candidates for the procession. Or perhaps (since they also knew him better than we) they have other plans for honoring Rich than using one of his tunes for the procession. Earlier I said you might suggest this to Bob. That's still the strongest language I would use. Not push for anything.

Say -- ahs there ever been a demo of Morris dancing at NESI? I'd liek to see what it looks and sounds like.

Most years I have led a Morris Tunes workshop at NESI, and often someone (sometimes Rich) gets up and demonstrates. But to really appreciate Morris Dancing, you need to see a set of six dancers in kit (whites with colored sashes or vests or baldricks, shin bell pads, etc.) with hankies or sticks. That's never happened at NESI, and would be hard to pull off. You might try trolling youtube for the myriad video examples.

He not only danced it, he taught it. When I posted the sad news to the Morris Dance Discussion List, I called him a "friend, mentor and musician to many Morris teams."

By the way, the Button Box has announced plans for a memorial service the day after the Northeast Concertina Workshop. I have started another thread with the announcement.

I would think the B section begs for an E minor chord at the beginning.

I agree, David. I was trying to resist my normal urge to toss in minor chords all over the palce, and keep the tune simple. I did have an Em on the repeat phrase two bars later. FWIW, ISTR that the march tune sheets handed out at NESI have no chords printed -- we make up our own. I guess the non-Duet players aren't too concerned with chords anyway, tho maybe countermelodies and parallel-3rd/6th harmonies.

You make it sound like a competition. I wouldn't be surprised if the folks at the BB know many Rich tunes that we don't, perhaps some better candidates for the procession. Or perhaps (since they also knew him better than we) they have other plans for honoring Rich than using one of his tunes for the procession. Earlier I said you might suggest this to Bob. That's still the strongest language I would use. Not push for anything.

OK, sorry if "push" sounds too strong. "Suggest" is more liek what I was thinking. I do agree that we shoudl see what the B. Box has planned, that it's really their show. And they will certainly honro Rich in many ways.

Most years I have led a Morris Tunes workshop at NESI, and often someone (sometimes Rich) gets up and demonstrates. But to really appreciate Morris Dancing, you need to see a set of six dancers in kit (whites with colored sashes or vests or baldricks, shin bell pads, etc.) with hankies or sticks. That's never happened at NESI, and would be hard to pull off. You might try trolling youtube for the myriad video examples.

He not only danced it, he taught it. When I posted the sad news to the Morris Dance Discussion List, I called him a "friend, mentor and musician to many Morris teams."

Rich really was a man of many talents! I'm grateful for the 4 years I knew him.

By the way, the Button Box has announced plans for a memorial service the day after the Northeast Concertina Workshop. I have started another thread with the announcement.

Going to check that out. --Mike K.

I haven't been active on this forum, but I have followed this thread since it started and I'd like to thank all of you for your remembrances of Rich and kind thoughts. I'm sure his family appreciates them as well.

We're still a long way off from the Squeeze-In, but I talked to Bob Snope about the processional tune and he thinks Rich's "Mr. Morse's Morris" would be great. Personally, I love that tune.

We're carrying on here, as I think Rich would have wanted us to. I'm still in a bit of a fog - his passing hasn't really sunk in yet. It'll be good to see many of his friends at the memorial on April 19th.

Doug Creighton

Manager,

The Button Box

• 3 weeks later...
I haven't been active on this forum, but I have followed this thread since it started and I'd like to thank all of you for your remembrances of Rich and kind thoughts. I'm sure his family appreciates them as well.

We're still a long way off from the Squeeze-In, but I talked to Bob Snope about the processional tune and he thinks Rich's "Mr. Morse's Morris" would be great. Personally, I love that tune.

We're carrying on here, as I think Rich would have wanted us to. I'm still in a bit of a fog - his passing hasn't really sunk in yet. It'll be good to see many of his friends at the memorial on April 19th.

Doug Creighton

Manager,

The Button Box

I am so sorry to hear this. I've been camping in the desert for the past 6 weeks and just found out an hour ago. Rich was one of the nicest and smartest people I knew. He posted last year on c.net about an instrument called an Array Mbira. I was fascinated and Rich and I exchanged a series of emails about it. He had already designed an improved version using what he had learned about free reeds and other musical instruments. He was planning to build one when he had the time and wanted to know if I wanted to be involved. This is just one example of what a creative force he was.

I'll miss him, goodbye Rich.

bruce boysen