Late 60s/Early 70s Wheatstone Anglo

I have the option on a 30 key C/G anglo in stunning condition at what I believe is a good price, but I'm unsure as to whether the 60s/70s era wheatstone anglos are to be avoided, whether they're good bad or indifferent. Can anyone shed any light?

Lots of threads about this that you can search for, Gav. I had a metal ended anglo Wheatstone from the 1950s that had crimped rather than clamped reeds. The shoes were screwed down with aluminum rectangular frames rather than dovetailed. Nonetheless it was was a good and trouble free instrument. It had a bit of an edge to its sound and was plenty loud.

I think the consensus is that the dovetailed models, some which have brass shoes can be very good boxes.

I still have my first concertina which was an english from the 1960s, a Made for Matusewich Wheatstone with aluminum shoes. Radial pan and dovetailed.

Still sounds good with lots of volume.

As with any instrument I think it is best played and evaluated on a case by case basis. Although materials and quality may have slipped in many cases Wheatstone could still make a good concertina into the 1960s.

Greg

Lots of threads about this that you can search for, Gav. I had a metal ended anglo Wheatstone from the 1950s that had crimped rather than clamped reeds. The shoes were screwed down with aluminum rectangular frames rather than dovetailed. Nonetheless it was was a good and trouble free instrument. It had a bit of an edge to its sound and was plenty loud.

I think the consensus is that the dovetailed models, some which have brass shoes can be very good boxes.

I still have my first concertina which was an english from the 1960s, a Made for Matusewich Wheatstone with aluminum shoes. Radial pan and dovetailed.

Still sounds good with lots of volume.

As with any instrument I think it is best played and evaluated on a case by case basis. Although materials and quality may have slipped in many cases Wheatstone could still make a good concertina into the 1960s.

Greg

The reeds don't look dovetailed in this 1950s model or am I wrong?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=190289659252

This looks like it was made like the metal ended one you describe Greg with aluminum shoes screwed down. Kind of a semi-radial pan. Were all Wheatstones in the 1950s manufactured this way?

Edited by CaryK

Correct, Cary. #190289659252 has screwed down reeds that are crimped to their frames.

There were Wheatstone anglos made in the 1950s and, I believe into the 60s, with the more conventional dovetailed slots to hold the reed shoes.

Greg

I just foudn out that the concertina in question is 1952 - is this a bad year? When did boosey take over?

Gav,

Have you/can you play the concertina? Can you see or get pics of the interior? Do you like the sound? Is the instrument solid and appear well cared for?

Are you trying to base this decision on the manufacturer's reputation rather than the individual instrument?

There are no hard and fast rules about 1950s Wheatstones. I'd say the earlier in the 50s the better but the dovetails may have the edge over the crimped reeds and associated construction. I've seen and personally played good example of both types. I've read reports of folks who were disppointed in their Wheatstones from this era. Really IS a case by case decision.

One wise, experienced concertina aficionado put it: Individual concertina care and history can make more of a difference in sound and performance than manufacturer's pedigree.

Greg

I just foudn out that the concertina in question is 1952 - is this a bad year? When did boosey take over?

Gav,

Have you/can you play the concertina? Can you see or get pics of the interior? Do you like the sound? Is the instrument solid and appear well cared for?

Are you trying to base this decision on the manufacturer's reputation rather than the individual instrument?

There are no hard and fast rules about 1950s Wheatstones. I'd say the earlier in the 50s the better but the dovetails may have the edge over the crimped reeds and associated construction. I've seen and personally played good example of both types. I've read reports of folks who were disppointed in their Wheatstones from this era. Really IS a case by case decision.

One wise, experienced concertina aficionado put it: Individual concertina care and history can make more of a difference in sound and performance than manufacturer's pedigree.

Greg

Thanks for all the input - the catch is the box is in Shetland, so no way I can try before I buy and it isn't a dealer - the seller knows nothing about it other than a ballpark price. I may steer clear. They're looking for £1800

post-315-1236017207_thumb.jpg

Thanks for all the input - the catch is the box is in Shetland, so no way I can try before I buy and it isn't a dealer - the seller knows nothing about it other than a ballpark price. I may steer clear. They're looking for £1800

Understood. I've never met one of these instruments that was absolutely "to die for".

However the price sounds reasonable. Depending what else you might get for about that amount in your area may determine whether you should go for the bird in hand or the one in the bush.

Best of luck,

Greg

I have only worked on one that seemed to be identical in appearance to this one. I would definitely not recommend it, especially for 1800 pounds. That's about $3500 Canadian or more. It did not play as well as the typical Lachenal---stiff reeds with limited volume. It looked pretty good, but that about as far as I could go. I was playing a Lachenal at the time and this concertina made my Lachenal play & sound great in comparison. Eighteen hundred dollars, at most, would be my estimate.

I have only worked on one that seemed to be identical in appearance to this one. I would definitely not recommend it, especially for 1800 pounds. That's about $3500 Canadian or more. It did not play as well as the typical Lachenal---stiff reeds with limited volume. It looked pretty good, but that about as far as I could go. I was playing a Lachenal at the time and this concertina made my Lachenal play & sound great in comparison. Eighteen hundred dollars, at most, would be my estimate.

i would agree with frank here. $1800 USD is what i was thinking i would pay for it.

i would agree with frank here. $1800 USD is what i was thinking i would pay for it.

Thanks all, I've withdrawn my interest. Once again - appreciate the helpful input of all concerned!

all the best

Gav