Garvey/Klingenthal hybrid Anglo?

Daniel,

They're the same as the Triskel concertinas that I designed (in collaboration with the factory) and started to get made in 2001 (they even have my Triskel logo in the ends of them!), but there were various issues with those instruments and they didn't manage to make one for me that didn't have sticking keys (and often other problems) when it was delivered, so that I always had to rework them considerably myself before I considered them fit to sell, which was not the idea at all.

We developed/improved them quite a bit, but unfortunately I've not had time to do much with the project in the last few years due to family and personal health problems, and not having a workshop, whilst I got no reply to the emails I sent the factory about it last year. I guess now I know why.

I'm not very happy. :(

Stephen--

You have my sympathy too. I had suspected something like this. Do you have any kind of enforceable rights here to the design or the logo, or perhaps an exclusive sale agreement?

Can I ask if the builder was BGK/Schaumanufaktur/Silvetta, or would you prefer to keep that confidential?

I supose that I will add the "Garvey" to my "current makes" post because I set that up as a comprehensive rather than a recommended list -- but I'm not happy about doing so.

Best of luck in somehow getting this toward a happier resolution.

Daniel

Daniel,

They're the same as the Triskel concertinas that I designed (in collaboration with the factory) and started to get made in 2001 (they even have my Triskel logo in the ends of them!), but there were various issues with those instruments and they didn't manage to make one for me that didn't have sticking keys (and often other problems) when it was delivered, so that I always had to rework them considerably myself before I considered them fit to sell, which was not the idea at all.

We developed/improved them quite a bit, but unfortunately I've not had time to do much with the project in the last few years due to family and personal health problems, and not having a workshop, whilst I got no reply to the emails I sent the factory about it last year. I guess now I know why.

I'm not very happy. :(

I supose that I will add the "Garvey" to my "current makes" post because I set that up as a comprehensive rather than a recommended list -- but I'm not happy about doing so.

You could leave it out on the grounds that Garvey is not the maker, and instead include the maker in Germany eg Silvetta or whoever.

Do you have any kind of enforceable rights here to the design or the logo, or perhaps an exclusive sale agreement?

I'd need to take a legal opinion on that, though I had to supply the mechanisms for the Triskels myself - I bought 50 sets of them off Steve Dickinson and sent them to the maker, but they've only made me around half that number so far. In fact I was still hoping to talk amicably to them about it, in Germany at the beginning of April, but the situation now seems worse than I'd realised and this public airing of the matter may make that impossible anyway...

Frankly, I'd rather the topic was dropped, or deleted.

Can I ask if the builder was BGK/Schaumanufaktur/Silvetta, or would you prefer to keep that confidential?

I don't feel free to discuss the identity of the builder, under the circumstances.

Best of luck in somehow getting this toward a happier resolution.

At this stage, it's beginning to look like that may take finding another manufacturer for them, but that's not impossible.

Edited by Stephen Chambers

But I don't know who the actual builder is, and this 30-button instrument isn't currently available from anyone else. Your argument could have me leave out the Jackie/Jack/Rochelle too, or list them under "unknown Chinese builder" along with the Hohner and Scarlatti. That's why I decided to call it a list of "current makes" rather than "current makers" -- the brand/retailer is what's useful to potential buyers in these situations.

You could leave it out on the grounds that Garvey is not the maker, and instead include the maker in Germany eg Silvetta or whoever.

I've decided to keep this maker out of the FAQ, at least until the situation is substantially clarifed.

Chris

Edited by Chris Timson