How good is your EAR?

Especially for all those folks here who reckon they have a REALLY GOOD EAR for learning tunes, here are a couple of tests to see just how good your musical ear really is!

If you only learn your tunes by ear, then you should be hot stuff on these tests.

It'd be interesting to see if all those folks who only learn their tunes by reading the dots, are actually pretty rubbish at these tests, after all! ;)

Musical Memory Abilities

Pitch Perception Abilities

Rhythm Memory

Cheers

Dick

It'd be interesting to see if all those folks who only learn their tunes by reading the dots, are actually pretty rubbish at these tests, after all! ;)

Musical Memory Abilities

Rhythm Memory

Aaargh! those are hard..... I came out at the peak of the bell curve (ie pretty weel average) on the first 2, but the rhythm one, I gave up on and answered pretty well at random - and did exceptionally well :lol: (maybe I knew the anser subliminally!)

Musical Memory Abilities

Rhythm Memory

Aaargh! those are hard..... I came out at the peak of the bell curve (ie pretty weel average) on the first 2, but the rhythm one, I gave up on and answered pretty well at random - and did exceptionally well :lol: (maybe I knew the anser subliminally!)

Well Dizzy, so tell us, are you a Dots person then? ;)

Great tests. I always thought my musical ear was terrible, turns out it's pretty average, (things must be improving) :huh: Though I just fell short of a very good performance on the rhythm test - which surprised me as I always thought I was even worse with rhythm. As it is I always need dots or tab to help me get the notes memorised and I then need to hear the music to learn how it should sound because the dots don't work ... :blink: Cheers.

Tried pitch difference test first, got around 2.5-3 Hz, tried harder, got 1.5 Hz.

Tried rhythm test once, wasted a few replays before noticing they were limited, got 92% (World-Class, 97th percentile).

Hit wrong button partway through tone-deaf test, didn't want to start again (getting bored).

Didn't remember what rating 1.5 Hz was, tried pitch test again, got 0.825 (just below exceptional, 74th percentile).

For years I only learned from sheet music. In the last few years I've been painstakingly transcribing a handful of tunes (running them through a slow-downer), and I'm getting better at it. I can't pick up tunes on the fly though. My biggest problem is remembering what I just figured out, so I have to write it down. But I never play from sheet music, I just use it to remember the tune or take notes until I've played it enough.

For percussion, I listen, watch, react, play what's in my head, anticipate and remember rhythms and structures. I've had a good amount of practice with that. I've never used sheet music, maybe four or five times in a decade to remember a tricky rhythm or as an experiment.

Edited by Boney

I am a total failure at this music thing. Wished I'd known this forty years ago. Maybe that's why I'm neither rich nor famous... and I learn all my tunes by ear, except for the ones I learn from dots. I must remind myself that I am only a laboratory rat -- so what the test signifies doesn't mean much when I'm out of my cage.

Well I managed 83.3 on the memory, 1.8hz on the pitch and 84 on the rhythm, and I'm a by ear only player.

I must point out that any sense of rhythm only descends as far as the knees, I'm a truly terrible dancer, however I have played for dancing for years so that may make up for it.

Robin Madge