Favourite tune?

Queen Lud

Just wondering, if you had to pick one tune to play on your concertina, which would you choose?

Hard to answer, and harder the more tunes you know.

At the moment, my two favourite tunes are 'The Cuckoo's Nest' and 'The humours of Tullycrine', both irish hornpipes. And not to hard to play for a beginner like myself!

Cheers,

Fer

Ooh, that's a hard choice to make but probably ' La Campasita' as it always makes me smile :lol:

Maybe you mean 'La Cumparsita' - an argentinian tango -?

Cheers,

Fer

:lol: That's it, never could spell it properly :rolleyes: but it's a cracking tune, guaranteed to get toes tapping and cheer people up.

Yes, I know the piece... :) I hope you never read a translation into english of the lyrics... Basically, is a man complaining and moaning in a very tango way about a woman who left him, and throws himself into depression being forgoten by his friends & even his dog :lol: :(

Anyway, is strangely a merry melody...

Cheers,

Fer

Two summers ago I got this Ed Reavey tune from Edel Fox at the Mrs Crotty weekend.http://www.thesession.org/tunes/display/5166

At first very awkward, but once you get the line going up with the Bb it is wonderful. There is a quality to the tune that suits the concertina.

Hard to answer, and harder the more tunes you know.

I am finding it quite hard at the other end of the playing scale (complete beginner, playing for 12 days now). I have been looking through the tunes listed on this site and choosing ones I know, thinking these will be easier for me to learn. I am getting on OK with 'Hundred Pipers' which is a song I loved when I was little but am having a nightmare with 'Jerusalem' as it involves C#.

It is therefore good to read what you more experienced players enjoy playing.

Sorry, I know nothing about that kind of music; but if you played irish / scottish stuff, I would recommend you some easy peasy tunes as:

Far from Home

Out on the Ocean

Off to California

This tunes are in G and are very easy on anglo. Only a sharp on F, applied too to tunes in A dorian oe D myxolidian.

A very manageable hornpipe in D is 'Boys of Bluehill', as long as you play the C# very occasionaly.

All this as far goes my limited experience on the 'tina. ;)

Good luck & all the best,

Fer

I am finding it quite hard at the other end of the playing scale (complete beginner, playing for 12 days now). I have been looking through the tunes listed on this site and choosing ones I know, thinking these will be easier for me to learn. I am getting on OK with 'Hundred Pipers' which is a song I loved when I was little but am having a nightmare with 'Jerusalem' as it involves C#.

I had the same problem....when I started my knowledge of 'folk' tunes was pretty megre and I tended to have to learn how the tune went before I could learn to play it so everything took a rally long time to learn.

Is there any tune you actually know the tune of? I think my turning point was when I started Learning Norwiegen Wood b the Beatles...A song I actually knew really well and it made it all much easier.

I have always been a listener of Scottish folk music (and a bit of Irish and English) and indeed these are the tunes I am finding easiest to learn. Also, I am a huge Dylan fan and have been annoying my neighbours with a drony rendition of Blowin' in the Wind.

I was keen to try some hymns and other types of music too (hence my attempt at Jerusalem) but am finding them too tricky.

I also need to do some practice on the chords. I am so far only managing little accompaniments with my left hand.

It is interesting for me to read all your tune suggestions. I shall look them up. Thanks.

I was keen to try some hymns and other types of music too (hence my attempt at Jerusalem) but am finding them too tricky.

These two well-known hymns use traditional folk tunes that sound nice on the concertina and are quite easy to play:

Lord of All Hopefulness (Banks of the Bann)

To be a Pilgrim (Our Captain Cried All Hands)

Just wondering, if you had to pick one tune to play on your concertina, which would you choose?

I can't seem to pick up my GD without running through "Tobin's Favorite." So maybe that makes it my favorite, too?

Favorites? Well the only trad tunes I can get all the way through with a reasonably competently are 'Lark in the Morning' and the Kesh Jig, although the high notes at the end of Kesh's second part screw me up. I haven't found a good way to finger those yet.

I can't seem to pick up my GD without running through "Tobin's Favorite." So maybe that makes it my favorite, too?

Hi Queen Lud

This month it would be a tossup between "The Holy City"by Stephen Adams (1892): http://nla.gov.au/nla.mus-an22600529 and

"Off to California" which drove me crazy for a while until the music as written didn't say some of the notes were played as triplets. Once I figured that out it sounds a little better. It pays to listen to the tune a few times before leaping into something new.

The "Kesh Jig" is beyond me for now, but it's one on my to do list. Next month? Who knows? Too many in too short a time.

Leo

Hard to pick a favorite as there are many of them, particularly O'Carolan tunes. However, what I'm currently trying to learn is usually my favorite "at the moment" so the honors go to "Egan's Polka" and "Over the Moor to Maggie". Got the tunes down, now working on getting the right rhythm and ornamentation. I'll be at these guys for a few months I expect. Also just learned the show tune "Someone to Watch Over Me" as I have always enjoyed its sweet melody.

Edited by CaryK

My favourite tunes change on a monthly basis as I listen and learn new pieces. I have always had a interest in tunes with irregular time signatures and like a lot of Bulgarian and Macedonian dance music. Recent favourites have been Danke (Sheet music here) and Karamfil (

).

I have found the Weird Metronome very useful for learning these tunes.

I also like dancing.