Across the Rows on The Armagh Polka

David Levine

I posted a clip of the Armagh Polka (aka John Ryan's) played very slowly on a C/G Wheatstone Anglo.

It might be useful for somebody learning to play across the rows in the key of D.

The fingering closely follows Noel Hill's Method. However, the Wheatstone, unlike the Jeffries, does not have a draw C# on the RH accidental row (like the Jackie and the Stagi).

In any case, I use the LH B press for the triplet (B,C#,D) that follows the trumpeted D D that starts the tune and the LH draw B the rest of the time.

Edited by David Levine

• 2 weeks later...

That's pretty close to what I do, too, except that I use the push low D on the left to smooth out the end of the descending phrase A F# E D. I also double the D using the left hand push notes instead of the draw - I have Wheatstone layout and it's really hard the other way. :)

Re: the Wheatstone layout -- I switched the G & A reeds (on the second button in on the right hand accidental row) for C# and D# reeds. This has made life a bit easier for me. A fuller discussion in posted to the Instrument Construction and Repair forum.