How often have you been GIVEN a Concertina?

Ptarmigan

Guest HallelujahAl!
But seriously Chris, instead of turning that wee shade of GREEN perhaps you should be out there trying what I did & write to your local Salvation Army branches. Who knows, you might be lucky too!

As a serving Salvation Army Officer don't think I haven't thought of it! And I have the definitive list of addresses :D

Can I humbly request that if anyone out there does indeed have a Salvation Army Concertina, that it be returned to the army -via me (SA Chesterfield)- so that it can be returned to the purpose for which it was originally intended and indeed prayerfully dedicated ;)

AL

But seriously Chris, instead of turning that wee shade of GREEN perhaps you should be out there trying what I did & write to your local Salvation Army branches. Who knows, you might be lucky too!

As a serving Salvation Army Officer don't think I haven't thought of it! And I have the definitive list of addresses :D

Can I humbly request that if anyone out there does indeed have a Salvation Army Concertina, that it be returned to the army -via me (SA Chesterfield)- so that it can be returned to the purpose for which it was originally intended and indeed prayerfully dedicated ;)

AL

But, surely, the letters S A, cut into the fretwork on my metal-ended Lachenal Anglo, indicate that it was manufactured for the South African market? Rumour has it that during the second Boer war, (1899-1902), a group of men were conscripted into a military band, but instead of being given the usual brass instruments to play, were issued with concertinas and taught how to play them. Following the development of instruments such as the concertina family of free-reed instruments, a second tradition of the all free-reed military band was formed. This type of music was used to control troops on the battlefield, as well as for entertainment. It is not recorded, however, whether the unusual sounds emanating from these free-reed instruments, in the field of battle, caused the enemy soldiers to panic and flee.

In the light of this information, I shall not be parting with my beloved Anglo, and returning it to the Salvation Army or what may be left of the Boer Army military band, free-reed division, and that is final!

Chris

Guest HallelujahAl!
I shall not be parting with my beloved Anglo, and returning it to the Salvation Army or what may be left of the Boer Army military band, free-reed division, and that is final!

Chris

In the cause of good taste - but mainly because its an Anglo - I think that on this occasion you should keep it.

God Bless - AL ^_^

Guest HallelujahAl!

Hi Chris - great to hear from you - yes hoping to make Whitby again this year. Have not been around for a while, but yes, glad to be back in circulation.

To stay with the thread - don't you think it'd be great if all us lot with SA concertinas (donated or otherwise) just for once re-create one of those great SA concertina bands? Mind you - it'd be a blooming big band!

AL

To stay with the thread - don't you think it'd be great if all us lot with SA concertinas (donated or otherwise) just for once re-create one of those great SA concertina bands? Mind you - it'd be a blooming big band!

AL

I'd love to hear the sound of brass instruments and concertina recreated - my father who was a salvationist in his youth, remembers concertina and brass instruments being played together and how good it sounded - he played trombone. Every Christmas when I see a SA band playing I secretly hope to see a concertina playing along too - sadly I'm always disappointed.

Steve

Edited by SteveS

Rumour has it that during the second Boer war, (1899-1902), a group of men were conscripted into a military band, but instead of being given the usual brass instruments to play, were issued with concertinas and taught how to play them. Following the development of instruments such as the concertina family of free-reed instruments, a second tradition of the all free-reed military band was formed.

Chris,

It seems that some Scottish regiments may have been "feeling the pinch" at the time, so equipped their troops with inexpensive German melodeons, rather than costly Anglo concertinas. At least, judging by this surviving tartan example, with regimental name, that was sold on eBay a few days ago:

CameronHighlander.jpg

:rolleyes:

Rumour has it that during the second Boer war, (1899-1902), a group of men were conscripted into a military band, but instead of being given the usual brass instruments to play, were issued with concertinas and taught how to play them. Following the development of instruments such as the concertina family of free-reed instruments, a second tradition of the all free-reed military band was formed.

Chris,

It seems that some Scottish regiments may have been "feeling the pinch" at the time, so equipped their troops with inexpensive German melodeons, rather than costly Anglo concertinas. At least, judging by this surviving tartan example, with regimental name, that was sold on eBay a few days ago:

CameronHighlander.jpg

:rolleyes:

Well, Stephen, I guess in those far off credit crunch days, the 'Top Brass' had to pull out all the stops they could, in order to economise. <_<

Chris