How often have you been GIVEN a Concertina?

Ptarmigan

I was actually GIVEN an old Lachenal English Brass Reeded Treble Concertina today.

How often does that happen to anyone else here? ;)

This little chap is a little the worse for wear, with one reed snapped off, a few pads missing & one end showing the effect of a little damp.

However, I reckon it won't take too much work, to get it ship shape again.

The Serial No is 38873..... so is any mathematical whizz kid here able to put a date on it, from that number?

The couple who gave me this Concertina are actually long time members of the Salvation Army ....... & so is this instrument.

Cheers

Dick

When I was about 13 (many years ago now, I'll have you know....), a school friend gave me a battered old German 20-button anglo in F/C. It had brass reeds and card/paper bellows which leaked like the proverbial sieve. But I patched up the bellows with sticky paper tape (not knowing any better at that stage) and gradually found my way up and down the rows so that I could fairly soon play tunes like 'Wilikins and his Dinah' and 'Silent Night'.

It was my first push-pull free-reed instrument and it led me on many years later to play melodeon and eventually a 30-button Lachenal anglo when I was in my 30s.

The German F/C was eventually passed on in similar fashion to a friend, who also learned the basic rudiments of anglo playing on it.

Not sure where it is now though, or whether it still is in existence (probably not, I suspect :( ). But a chance moment of generosity on the part of someone else all those years ago has led me on to a lifetimes enjoyment of traditional music.

I was actually GIVEN an old Lachenal English Brass Reeded Treble Concertina today.

This little chap is a little the worse for wear, with one reed snapped off, a few pads missing & one end showing the effect of a little damp.

However, I reckon it won't take too much work, to get it ship shape again.

The Serial No is 38873..... so is any mathematical whizz kid here able to put a date on it, from that number?

The couple who gave me this Concertina are actually long time members of the Salvation Army ....... & so is this instrument.

Cheers

Dick

That's great Dick and they at least gave it to a good home where it'll be loved and cared for.

Ian

Mine's # 2667, July 19, 1851.

Larry

Ah ... but Larry, were you actually just given #2667, or did you in fact, have to pay out some of your children's inheritance for it? ;)

Cheers

Dick

Edited by Ptarmigan

Ah ... but Larry, were you actually just given #2667, or did you in fact, have to pay out some of your children's inheritance for it? ;)

Cheers

Dick

I recommend spending all of your children's inheritance on concertinas. Then you can leave them a concertina each. What more could they want?

Ian

I have deleted this posting as i strayed off topic somewhat , will start a new thread .

My kids are eyeing their inheritance up all ready , one tina for me one for you etc etc.

Mike

Edited by miikae

i waited 3 years on the list for a concertina from a top maker, but i had to cancel it, because i had to loan someone in my family all the money (and then some). after i cancelled it, i didnt generally announce it to the world or tell very many people about it, but a friend of mine found out, and emailed me, offering to buy my concertina. i have to pay them back over time, of course. my order has been reinstated and it will be ready in a matter of weeks. the only conditions from my friend is that it must be insured, and that it must go with me everywhere when i am out in public. i still dont know how they found out about it, but i am very grateful.

so, i guess that would be a partial yes.

i waited 3 years on the list for a concertina from a top maker, but i had to cancel it, because i had to loan someone in my family all the money (and then some). after i cancelled it, i didnt generally announce it to the world or tell very many people about it, but a friend of mine found out, and emailed me, offering to buy my concertina. i have to pay them back over time, of course. my order has been reinstated and it will be ready in a matter of weeks. the only conditions from my friend is that it must be insured, and that it must go with me everywhere when i am out in public. i still dont know how they found out about it, but i am very grateful.

so, i guess that would be a partial yes.

Hey David, please tell your friend that I really need a bigger house ....... oh & a Porche! :lol:

But seriously, that's one special friend you have there!

Cheers

Dick

Well, it would happen more often, Dick, if people like you, with more concertinas than you can possibly play at one time, started giving away your spare instruments to some of the more needy folk on this forum. ;)

Chris

Well, it would happen more often, Dick, if people like you, with more concertinas than you can possibly play at one time, started giving away your spare instruments to some of the more needy folk on this forum. ;)

Chris

Chris, are you saying there are members here who can actually play more than one Concertina at a time? :blink:

Please post photos, or better still a YouTube link? :lol:

But seriously Chris, instead of turning that wee shade of GREEN :D perhaps you should be out there trying what I did & write to your local Salvation Army branches. Who knows, you might be lucky too!

This particular Concertina, although not valuable, is still far better out with me, than stuck at the bottom of the wardrobe, where it has lain for the past 30 years.

Of course, I'm not getting away Scot free, because it'll cost me £200 or £300 I suppose, to have it restored & I don't suppose it's worth a whole lot more than that anyway, but who know Chris, you might be even luckier & be handed a pristine Wheatstone! ;)

In any case, isn't it our duty to save these little boxes, after all, just think how many have neglected, forgotten about, then been thrown out &/or just dumped over the years. :(

Cheers

Dick

Edited by Ptarmigan