Hope for the future

We went to our local Folk Club last Friday and a young man of about 16 sang and took his note from an E C. Great ,good man! At the interval I heard what I thought was a C D of a Tina , wrong .It was the young man playing with a high degree of fluency,ability ,confidence and even more skill."Been playing long?" " He had it for Christmas "said his Dad about 6 weeks.

Of course I had to let him play my Holmwood ,his eyes lit up as he saw the immense difference between it and his Lach and he played it like a natural

There is hope for the future

It is good to know that there are still people with a natural ability for musical instruments , my son pestered me to buy him a guitar when he was 16 , everyone told me off for spending far too much on an electric guitar , his first , but 3 months later he surprised us all , he still plays by ear mainly and 12 years later he now owns 6 guitars .

Mike

We went to our local Folk Club last Friday and a young man of about 16 sang and took his note from an E C. Great ,good man! At the interval I heard what I thought was a C D of a Tina , wrong .It was the young man playing with a high degree of fluency,ability ,confidence and even more skill."Been playing long?" " He had it for Christmas "said his Dad about 6 weeks.

Of course I had to let him play my Holmwood ,his eyes lit up as he saw the immense difference between it and his Lach and he played it like a natural

There is hope for the future

That has made my whole weekend brighten up. Thanks!

Ian

We went to our local Folk Club last Friday and a young man of about 16 sang and took his note from an E C. It was the young man playing with a high degree of fluency,ability ,confidence and even more skill."Been playing long?" " He had it for Christmas "said his Dad about 6 weeks.

Rather envious....wish I had that much talent lol! ;) :ph34r:

• 4 weeks later...

Well ,he came to our Second Saturday Concertina Session with his Mum and Dad and we were impressed as was he. This young man is going to be a top notch player IMHO.There were 9 of us this week and he enjoyed himself immenselyWe introduced him to someone who plays for a local Morris side and one of the dancers just happened to be there. He will , I think, be there tonight if all goes well.He got some good advice from Keith Kendrick and Sylvia(Thank you Me Ducks)

His Dad thanked me for "opening some doors" for him.

I will keep you posted next month

"Second Saturday" is a Tina and Singing session we have every ,would you believe, second saturday of each month,this was our 53rd

"Second Saturday" is a Tina and Singing session we have every ,would you believe, second saturday of each month,this was our 53rd

Well that comment made me realize that our weekly session, started in 1999, has gotten together somewhat over 500 times. Cripes, thats historic...I will have to mention it tomorrow night at the session.

There is a session in Portsmouth New Hampshire, at the Press Room, that has been going for over thirty years. Started by Tom Hall if I have my facts straight. Now thats something!

FJB

• 7 months later...

Well, Andy has come a long way, a very long way since, I did my first post. He is an extremely accomplished player and this week he was at Newcastle for his interview. About a month ago a player who I think is probably the best E C player in the county phoned to marvel at Andy s ability he said that he had been playing for 30 years and Andy had been playing for 30 weeks and there was little he could teach him.

We were doing a Folk Club Booking near Solihull a couple of months ago and the Organiser of our local Major Folk festival heard him play and promptly booked him.

Watch this space

Andy is a member of C.Net P S This old dog is having to learn new tricks,wuff, wuff!

Well, Andy has come a long way, a very long way since, I did my first post. He is an extremely accomplished player and this week he was at Newcastle for his interview. About a month ago a player who I think is probably the best E C player in the county phoned to marvel at Andy s ability he said that he had been playing for 30 years and Andy had been playing for 30 weeks and there was little he could teach him.

We were doing a Folk Club Booking near Solihull a couple of months ago and the Organiser of our local Major Folk festival heard him play and promptly booked him.

Watch this space

Andy is a member of C.Net P S This old dog is having to learn new tricks,wuff, wuff!

Very interesting. Had he had any previous experience e.g. with piano and theory? come on Andy tell us a bit about the process! We'd be delighted to hear from you

Mike

• 1 year later...

There is a session in Portsmouth New Hampshire, at the Press Room, that has been going for over thirty years. Started by Tom Hall if I have my facts straight. Now that's something!

FJB

The Champaign, IL, session has been going for over thirty one years that I know of. It still has one or two of the original participants. Three concertinas the last time I was there.

Well at last the Maestro has put somethimg on You tube.

I will let you decide what you think, but we are a little impressed.

Here is the link ,

http://www.myspace.com/andyparrandamyleach

Andy's certainly got extremely good musical articulation and with a surname like that, he's certainly par or more for the course! :) Coming to a folk club near you, soon, I shouldn't wonder.

Chris

Nice link to Andy's playing. Andy Parr and Amy Leach

After meeting him at Royal Concertinas at Dungworth with his dad at a Geoff Crabb talk, we bumped into each othe at sessions at festivals. He plays flute too! He's on the Newcstle course so watch out!

Edited by michael sam wild