Anglo Scales

Alan Day

I don't know of a single accomplished anglo player who would do anything like this. What's the point? To play all those tunes in C# minor?

the fact that no one has done it doesnt mean it is not possible or worthwile. try to play a chromatic scale on a silver flute. it is just as difficult as on the concertina. the only difference is if you think it's impossible, you're wrong, because thousands of people can do it.

my long term goal is to have a very wide and expansive repertoire. i cannot do this if i only play in 3 keys. i want to play classical music, pop music, rock music, and other arrangements. i just got approached to do some sampling for some hip hop. do you really think i should play irish music for these people? no, i should play something that fits into their music, and not bastardize my culture for personal gain.

if i am, say, the first person to ever play the flight of the bumblebee on the concertina, then that would make people pay attention. if i am the only person who can play in any key on the anglo concertina, then that would make people pay attention. the more people pay attention, the more likely they are to appreciate what they hear, if it is in fact any good.

so, it's probably going to be 10 years before i will have the repertoire to effectively use all the scales, and who knows if i will be a talented performer. but i'm surely going to try.

also, i think it can be very useful for irish music. at the sessions i go to, they often sing songs in different keys to suit the voice of the singer. at the sessions i go to, everyone just transposes no matter the instrument, and plays accompaniment. and yes, a singer just MIGHT sing in C# minor.

I appreciate your intent and fair play to you. However, I am more interested in the ITM aspect than I am in The Concertina - except insofar as the concertina is a tool to express that music. While "my goal" is to play any tune that might be played in the course of a session, I don't feel I have to accompany singers in odd keys or play along with fiddlers playing in Bb. I thought that you, David, had a keyed flute for playing in unusual keys. And I have my Bb/F concertina and my Bb or my C flute if it was a C or Bb session. And I certainly don't mind sitting out a few tunes in the course of a night.

Sure though, the more you stretch yourself on an instrument the easier and more accessible it becomes and things that once seemed tricky become simple. So go to it! And let us know how it goes...

I appreciate your intent and fair play to you. However, I am more interested in the ITM aspect than I am in The Concertina - except insofar as the concertina is a tool to express that music. While "my goal" is to play any tune that might be played in the course of a session, I don't feel I have to accompany singers in odd keys or play along with fiddlers playing in Bb. I thought that you, David, had a keyed flute for playing in unusual keys. And I have my Bb/F concertina and my Bb or my C flute if it was a C or Bb session. And I certainly don't mind sitting out a few tunes in the course of a night.

Sure though, the more you stretch yourself on an instrument the easier and more accessible it becomes and things that once seemed tricky become simple. So go to it! And let us know how it goes...

i'll surely keep everyone updated. i like the challenge of playing the concertina in different keys. if i was just concerned about the music, i would get me a couple sets of whistles. although, i'm really jealous that you have multiple keys for concertinas and flutes! it accomplishes the same thing.

although i am sure a 30 button can only take me so far, and i know if i continue i will have to get more keys!

sometimes i think it's not a good thing to be able to do more. i have trouble resisting adding fancy bits or variations to tunes that i'm sure are not necessary.

If you manage to perform a credible version of Flight of the Bumblebee, I'll stand you a drink any day David.

Ian

In C#! :P

Dan

You're a cruel man Dan but I like your thinking. Aim high!

Ian

haha. that's surely the plan. why else do you think i am learning the chromatic scale? i dont devote nearly as much time to it as i should, because i spend so much time working on bellows control. i can sorely feel the limitations of the speed of my instrument, however, and as i will be getting my carroll in a few weeks, then i'll see how plausible quick chromatic runs are. i will post my single octave chromatic runs when i get my carroll.

and as for in C#... i'm not sure if i'm THAT masochistic! although as i recall, C# is not so bad on the concertina.

and i must must add the caveat that of course it may end up that i work and work and work on all this and after a decade i am nothing but a pure and utter hack.

Bertram Levy sent me his scales for playing in G D and A...this we sent out to registrants for our Palestine workshop next month. His were different from any of the above ones, and constitute the bare bones of his melody-with-chords style on the CG, which he'll be teaching (seems kind of like how Fred Kilgore played...less in and out, accomplished by grouping phrases together, each of which are in one bellows direction).

Cheers,

Dan

Hi Dan I'd be grateful for a report or a link to Bertram's workshop. He's a star and a free spirit and I'll be pleased to see how ' The Bandoneon Years' have influenced his 'tina playing. His 're-emergence' could prove to be like a descent from the mountain with ABc sheets and fingering charts of stone!

Cheers

Mike

Edited by michael sam wild

• 4 weeks later...
Bizarrely I have been thinking about this quite deeply over the last few days, I even looked on the website at the front of this forum to see if a scale tablature was there.I and I believe that many others would find it useful if there were available a list of scales say C, G, D, A, E majors (sharps) F, B, Eb, Ab majors (flats) showing which buttons can be played on the pull and/or on the push. I think four sharps or flats should be plenty enough range to allow accompaniment with anyone!I am going to have a go at this but it would be useful if others could chip in with suggestions.If there is a book already out there that has done all this then I would also be grateful if someone could point me that way.
Sorry this is late, but I've been thinking the very same thing. I've found a staggeringly comprehensive resource for scales - probably all scales, in all musical cultures. www.looknonhands.com/chordhouse/piano       .I've started looking at constructing my own fingering for the normal major and minors, starting with one flat/sharp, then on to two, etc.  Have not got far yet!    I've got a standard 30-button Tedrow C/G, so this should be compatible with anyone else's work.  How do we swap notes, or divvy up the work?