"Clareman" for sale?

nate banton

Hello all,

Not sure where to put this topic, but here goes . . .

Last year I started playing my girlfrend's fiddle and now that I can play some tunes on it we'd like to play together. That would require more than one fiddle.

That's where the concertina sale comes in. I was hoping I could get some help with an estimate on what my concertina is worth.

It was originally purchased in Custys in Ennis 8 or nine years ago. It is a "Clareman" and the agent is J. Shiels. It has a #280 on it. Has 15 buttons on each clapper. Stainless steel, black wood of some sort and black leather. Nice wooden box case included. The original price was $1500. I have no idea if that was a good price or not.

I will certainly sell it for $1500, but some suggestion on a fair price would be appreciated. Especially if this concertina has appreciated ;)

Nate

Hello all,

Last year I started playing my girlfrend's fiddle and now that I can play some tunes on it we'd like to play together. That would require more than one fiddle.

That's where the concertina sale comes in. I was hoping I could get some help with an estimate on what my concertina is worth.

It was originally purchased in Custys in Ennis 8 or nine years ago. It is a "Clareman" and the agent is J. Shiels. It has a #280 on it. Has 15 buttons on each clapper. Stainless steel, black wood of some sort and black leather. Nice wooden box case included. The original price was $1500. I have no idea if that was a good price or not.

I will certainly sell it for $1500, but some suggestion on a fair price would be appreciated. Especially if this concertina has appreciated ;)

Nate

I think these are Andy Norman boxes rebadged. It should have held most of that original value. UK price is between £1000/£1500 for equivalent instruments, guess these things are harder to come by in the states so depends on your market.

The first Norman I tried was a Clareman (in Miltown Malbay in 1999), and it was an excellent instrument. If in good condition, it certainly fits into the good-quality hybrid box category, which are fetching perhaps 1400-1800 USD in used condition.

Ken

• 2 weeks later...
Hello all,

Nate

Have you sold this yet?

• 3 weeks later...

I saw one of these last week, first time I'd ever been near one in fact. Coincidentally, it had a problem with a button and the owner asked me to attempt a repair since I was traveling with appropriate tools. I found the instrument's construction to be simple and straightforward. I had to reshape one lever arm that was permitting the associated button to rise out of its guide hole but it was just a matter of a few minutes to correct the problem. Despite the simplicity of the design the instrument had a good sound and in the hands of an experienced Irish player (its owner) it was capable of blasting out very good music.

Edited by Bruce McCaskey