Glue

When the concertina was made the traditional glue was flour and water paste.

For repair work I use Evostick but you must ensure you do not spread it further than your repair area for obvious reasons,as it is flexible it will not crack or split open.The leather patch needs to be pared down on the edges of the leather to make a smooth finish..For splits check the inside of the bellows to see if the cloth holding the segments together is not damaged or unstuck.This will need repairing at the same time.

For safety when using evostick leave the bellows extended overnight to ensure that it is perfectly drybefore use.

A friend of mine used evostick only on minute holes as a filler but it must be given time to dry properly.

I will await the cries of horror on this suggestion,but it did work.

Al

Please could someone recommend what glue is best to use to repair a small bit of damage to my bellows.

What kind of damage? Where?

Also, any good reason why this discussion shouldn't be moved to the "Instrument Construction & Repair" subForum?

Sorry I didn't know there was an area especialy for hints on repairs. I'm new to the site. so next time I'll try there.

The concertina in question is not old or expensive. It is a cheapish factory made model about 10 years old. There is a small flap of leather coming away, I just need to stick it down but was worried that some glues could damage the leather.

Thanks for the hints anyway.

That's okay, boru. We keep planning to provide a road map for the new posters, but just haven't gotten around to it yet :)

You might want to consult with a local shoe or leather repair shop for glue that would stick to but not damage the leather?

Jim's point is valid, what sort of repair and where on the bellows?

Its not just the glue, but how it is to be used that is important. One (two actually)comment(s) I will make, keep off the superglues, and check if Alan means an Evostick impact adhesive or one of the other Evostick products. I would not use or recommend the use of an impact adhesive on bellows.

yes this should be a repair forum thread, if only to help others track down the tpic later

Dave

Topic moved to Instrument Construction and Repair.

BTW, this is a perennial topic. One of those days we will write all that code to move the old forum over and you can read all the posts there about glue. Sticky business.

Thanks Ken,

Alan,

I have found that the rubberish impact adhesives give little working time, and they seem to contaminate the leather in an oily sort of way. I have had concertinas in to repair where previous owners/repairers have used the stuff and it (the glue)seems to have started to break down. Then there is the messy tendency to 'string'.

All-in-all my preference is White PVA There are leather working versions now, but wood working adhesive is fine for most people. Elmers White glue for our those accross the pond

Dave

Dave

If you have a liking for PVA check out a new product to the market called

Solvite Vinyl overlap and wallpaper repair adhesive.I think you will find it either is PVA or has similar adhesive properties.I have just used it for sticking my new papers on my BpF and it was excellent and being in a tube easy to manage

cost me £2.56.

I take your point on Evostick but as I have always used it on black bellows I have not seen the problem you refer to,but thanks for the info.

Regards

Al