Seeking one English concertina

Konzertina-123

hello

I want to start to play English concertina, and I want to buy an used concertina with 48 key.

I would prefer a good quality old instrument such as Wheatstone, Crabb or Lachenal, but please contact me for any answers.

I do not want to spend much on this since it would be my first instrument. Under €250 would be great for me.

I have some experience with repairing bellow instruments such as Harmoniums and mechanical organs, so even if it is in bad condition (with air leaks etc..) I am interested.

Thank you in advance !

hello

I want to start to play English concertina, and I want to buy an used concertina with 48 key.

I would prefer a good quality old instrument such as Wheatstone, Crabb or Lachenal, but please contact me for any answers.

I do not want to spend much on this since it would be my first instrument. Under €250 would be great for me.

I have some experience with repairing bellow instruments such as Harmoniums and mechanical organs, so even if it is in bad condition (with air leaks etc..) I am interested.

Thank you in advance !

I'm afraid that your price range won't get you what you're looking for. A Stagi English (used, but in good condition) will run about that much. And their quality is far below a Wheatstone or Lachenal. Only about 2 months ago, I bought a fair condition (minor repairs) Lachenal for $740 USD. Years ago you might've been able to find poor condition Lachenals for what you're offering. But I have grave doubts that it's possible now-a-days. Cordially, KerryF

• 4 weeks later...

It all depends what is meant by

I have definitely found a Lachenal with minor repair from 1884 for approx. $100, so I won't need anything else for long I hope !

I've lost count of the times when people have called me saying "I've got this accordion/melodeon/concertina off ebay and it just needs a couple of notes fixing" I've had to get quite skilled at letting people down gently and explain that their £100 bargain actually needs several hundred more spent on it.

If the 1884 concertina has brass reeds, 4 fold bellows and only needs new pads and valves then its just about worth buying. If its a New Model then it could be a very good buy, or it could be anything in between.

It all depends what is meant by
I have definitely found a Lachenal with minor repair from 1884 for approx. $100, so I won't need anything else for long I hope !

I've lost count of the times when people have called me saying "I've got this accordion/melodeon/concertina off ebay and it just needs a couple of notes fixing" I've had to get quite skilled at letting people down gently and explain that their £100 bargain actually needs several hundred more spent on it.

If the 1884 concertina has brass reeds, 4 fold bellows and only needs new pads and valves then its just about worth buying. If its a New Model then it could be a very good buy, or it could be anything in between.

Thanks Theo. I get the idea.

Ian

I will take a page from the book of many here and wish you good luck with your new instrument, may it come into playing order easily. You will know when it is time to save for/seek another. Welcome to the addiction, it can get serious! (but fun)

Ken