Goals and targets

LDT

not talking sport here....so what are your short term/long term goals and targets when it comes to the concertina?

I'm not asking much just....

I want to be able to play and not have people run out of the room before I've even played two notes. I'd like to be able to play with both hands at once competently, and be able to play 10 tunes off by heart by the end of the year.

I want to be able to play and not have people run out of the room before I've even played two notes. I'd like to be able to play with both hands at once competently, and be able to play 10 tunes off by heart by the end of the year.

Firstly remember, the people who run out of the room, are probably those who you know, who have probably had to listen to endless practice. I'm afraid the repetitive practice that we have to do, to get a tune right, doth not a pleasing listening experience make, these people have heard it all before?

I think your goals are fair. The evidence from your vids is that you are progressing. When I asked my teacher how long it took her to reach the standard she is at the answer was something like "five hours a day for 3 years and at least an hour a day ever since...."

Learning to strum half a dozen chords to play along at a session on guitar is not the same as learning to play a melody instrument like concertina to speed. The challenge we all face here is significant and the big steps forward only come as a result of sustained practice. What you are going to have to do is start recognising that you are improving, stop beating yourself up about it and keep working. I recently took my 'tina on holiday with me, the weather was poor and I was able to practice for several hours intensively. The step change in my playing was most pleasing. Picking the instrument up for a few minutes isn't really the key to progress, I think it needs more.

Simon

My goal is twofold, to learn chordal backup parts and lead lines for my Irish pub rock band ("The Sisters of Murphy"), and to develop musicality, speed and competence on Irish traditional tunes. Long-term, I'd like to be a good player that other musicians would welcome into a session.

To achieve this, I'm practicing 2-3 hours a day. There's a looong way to go! Also, in two weeks I'm going to upgrade my rochelle to a Morse Ceili, which my research shows to be a more responsive instrument. And dropping two grand on a concertina will inspire the necessary terror within me to keep hitting the practice chair.

-mark

When you upgrade to a better instrument, your inprovement is massive. At least, it's what happened to me when I began to play my Morse after 6 months of fighting with my Stagi... it's night and day.

Goals? Never put yourself goals. I say this because I've seen people that, after reaching a level, stop trying to learn.

I spent 15 years playing irish fiddle and still not totally happy with the results. When I began - 1994, think - I played 6 hours a day. Now the fiddle is a little in the background, but I'm inproving pretty quickly with the box, mainly because I've got already the tunes in my head and also is a great advantage an instrument you don't have to tune!

But I think that the main reason is... well, I play guitar, tenor banjo, mandolin & a little B/C melodeon, but no instrument 'tickled' my as deep as fiddle and concertina.

Cheers,

Fer

Goals? Never put yourself goals.

After all its about the journey, not just the destination. Right?

FJB

Hi FJB

I disagree. While it might be a nice quote, it would not be a good thing to just go wandering aimlessly without a road map to follow. Isn't that what lessons, and instructions are for?

Now to answer LDT. Mine are simple. My playing an instrument is to exercise short term memory loss, and keep it active. It's both technical and an art, so I get 2 exercises for the price of one. I mostly play melody lines from various origins, and play along with MIDI files and use them as my accompaniment. I've met with various levels of success.

I don't make any money anymore. My son stopped throwing quarters at me and paying me to stop. :rolleyes:

Thanks

Leo

Edited by Leo

Goals? Never put yourself goals.

After all its about the journey, not just the destination. Right?

FJB

Hi FJB

I disagree. While it might be a nice quote, it would not be a good thing to just go wandering aimlessly without a road map to follow. Isn't that what lessons, and instructions are for?

Thanks

Leo

Ok Leo, your right of course, I have a ton of goals, new tunes, old tunes smoother, being able to sing with the fiddle on my hip, that sort of thing. But, what I meant was its not just about the destination. "Gee this sure will be fun when I am as good as I want to be, but until then it sure is drudgery and misery."

If "practice" wasn't enjoyable for me I probably wouldn't do it, but from day one on the concertina its been great fun. The fiddle was harder because it was my first instrument, although once I learned to tune it and hold it decently its been fun. I am enjoying the ride and I tell my students, and anyone else who might listen, to relax with the instrument and enjoy how good you are at the current moment and, at the same time, work to be a little better in the next moment.

Randy

fjb

Ok Leo, your right of course, I have a ton of goals, new tunes, old tunes smoother, being able to sing with the fiddle on my hip, that sort of thing. But, what I meant was its not just about the destination. "Gee this sure will be fun when I am as good as I want to be, but until then it sure is drudgery and misery."

If "practice" wasn't enjoyable for me I probably wouldn't do it, but from day one on the concertina its been great fun. The fiddle was harder because it was my first instrument, although once I learned to tune it and hold it decently its been fun. I am enjoying the ride and I tell my students, and anyone else who might listen, to relax with the instrument and enjoy how good you are at the current moment and, at the same time, work to be a little better in the next moment.

Randy

fjb

Hi Randy

Now that I CAN agree to, and suggest that it's a very productive means to an end, whether it's learn a new tune, draw a picture, etc. I use the "practice" as a small challenge not as an insurmountable obstacle, but something to be overcome, and the satisfaction is good when the ahah! I get it now comes. It's like a small reward.

Thanks

Leo

Exactly as I though, if you're able to play that !"$%$&&/ fiddle, you're able to play almost anything :lol: Seriously, fiddle is a constant challenge - and very jelous about letting you play other instruments! :blink: -

Cheers,

Fer

When you upgrade to a better instrument, your inprovement is massive. At least, it's what happened to me when I began to play my Morse after 6 months of fighting with my Stagi... it's night and day.

Cheers,

Fer

I agree with Fer. Although I'v been playing for only 6 months a couple of months ago I invested in a quality instrument. I see it as a worthwhile investment, as it would have taken me much longer to reach the modest standard I have achieved using my cheap and cheerful Scarlatti. Apart from the initial, not inconsiderable, cost my concertina will maintain its' current value for ever therefore it really comes for free (sort of).

Cheers

Wally

Cheers,

Fer

I agree with Fer. Although I'v been playing for only 6 months a couple of months ago I invested in a quality instrument. I see it as a worthwhile investment, as it would have taken me much longer to reach the modest standard I have achieved using my cheap and cheerful Scarlatti. Apart from the initial, not inconsiderable, cost my concertina will maintain its' current value for ever therefore it really comes for free (sort of).

Cheers

Wally

I second that. The transition from Stagi to Morse (Jeffries) is huge.

My goal....to participate in sessions playing the concertina the same way I do playing the fiddle today:-)

Cheers,

Fer

Cheers

Wally

I second that. The transition from Stagi to Morse (Jeffries) is huge.

My goal....to participate in sessions playing the concertina the same way I do playing the fiddle today:-)

I guess, financially difficult though it is, the instrument change will make a big difference. I experienced the reverse of this a few days ago when I was walking past a music store and spotted a black English tenor treble in the window. I popped in and asked whether I could have a go. What I found myself holding was a Stagi. Now addmittedly the guy said the instrument hadn't been "set up" but I found it completely unplayable in comparison to my Wheatstone treble EC. Each button had a different feel in terms of spring pressure, the bellows pressure required to get the reeds to sound was significant, but moreover varied hugely from reed to reed, everything about the instrument just felt wrong. If this were the only instrument I had to play, it would have made learning so much more of a challenge. So much so that I suspect the instrument would be languishing in a cupboard after a week or two.

Perseverence is one thing, and if you have maintained interest, then perhaps its time you rewarded your persistence with a step up the instrument ladder.

Simon

not talking sport here....so what are your short term/long term goals and targets when it comes to the concertina?

I'd rather learn one tune well than 10 in accumulation. But I'm a slow learner. My goals are measured with vernier calipers. Mike

Edited by michaelpier

I'd rather learn one tune well than 10 in accumulation. But I'm a slow learner. My goals are measured with vernier calipers. Mike

I'm with you here Michael but I guess it's horses for courses.

Ian

I'd get sooo bored with just one tune..even limiting to 10 I find excruciating.

I suppose there is some Zen involved.

"I aim to" ....be able to play 10 tunes off by heart by the end of the year.

Looks like we have a wee Goal problem here LDT!!! Go learn 100 or 200, 1000 even .......... ... .. .