I think I'm back (and an Anglo Question)

A while back, I ended up being forced to sell my anglo to pay the bills when things got tight (man's gotta do what a man's gotta do). Well, it's been a few years, and I'm in much better financial shape. I decided I want my durned tina back.

Since I have quite a collection of flutes and whistles, I've sold a few off this week to help with the purchase and it looks like I'll be placing an order to the Button Box (I loved my Morse) this weekend.

Now, a question....key layout. I had previously used the Wheatstone layout, but the double C# on the Jeffries is looking mighty appealing to me. Any suggestions? I can't really tell any other pros or cons of either approach from looking at them.

I'm expecting to start completely from scratch and enjoy every step of the way.

Ken...seriously, we do need to meet some day eventually I think.

Rick

The simple (simplistic?) answer might be if you don't know, then either will do for now. Obviously it will depend on what style you want to play,what keys you want to use, and so on. It is possible to swap individual reeds if you later find you really need one particular combination.

Rick,

Good to see ya! Promise me something; the next time you have to unload an anglo, check with me on the price. You were pretty low on that G/D (I think it was that one). I saw it when I was down unda in 2006 and told the owner he got lucky because you were in a bind. I hope it won't happen again (to anyone here) to have to sell in a hurry.

As for layout, pick one and learn it. I can do both, if I mentally reset my head for a few minutes. See other, current threads here on your very question.

How's the family? Walking, talking?

I'm in Pittsburgh Sunday for two different musical doins' - fancy a squeeze-in sometime?

Ken

If you are buying a C/G and want to play tunes in D (without accompaniment) then my view is that it will be easier to play more smoothly and more quickly by having two C# in the Jeffries layout.

Owning and playing both, the last comment is true IMHO:

If you are buying a C/G and want to play tunes in D (without accompaniment) then my view is that it will be easier to play more smoothly and more quickly by having two C# in the Jeffries layout.

That said, there are many fine players of ITM who play Wheatstones. Well... two that I know of, anyway.

Both systems work just fine, but I really appreciate the extra options the second C# gives, and would suggest if you switch to the Jeffries set up that you make the second finger press C# your main one rather than tying up your index finger which often has work to do immediately before or after the C#. Having the second finger press C# gives you more freedom to choose which B you play in the tunes though this is only a minor issue. You lose the reverse A/G button, but both notes in the reverse direction are still available, just at different locations.

Like Ken, I can play either layout since I generally switch fingerings depending on what my students are playing. The obstacles you run into with either are minor in any case, and won't get in the way of playing good music. Someone mentioned the better availability of chords with the Wheatstone layout, but at the moment I have a hard time seeing why that might be true, since both have mostly the same notes in the same directions, just at different locations. The Wheatstone Layout may seem more "rational" since for the most part it continues the pattern of the left side, but the squeaky high D# seems a bit of a rarely used note in ITM, and for the tunes that one likes to play in E, ( to keep up with those blasted fiddlers with a scottish bent <_< ( I play fiddle too )) having the alternate D# in the mid range makes as much more sense as having the alternate C# does in the Key of D since they both take the same place in the tunes if you were to transpose them. I don't know what logic was used in the creation of the Jeffries layout, but since it is my guess that it was created at a later time ( I'm sure one of you historians will know if this is true or not) There was a good reason in their minds to deviate from the Wheatstone layout.

Dana

Hi Rick

I live in Beaver, and make a halfhearted attempt at playing my Morse English. I spent all day Monday at UPMC in Pittsburgh. It took me an hour and 15 minits to get there, and three and a half hours to get home. I hate tunnels and bridges, and avoid going to the big city unless absolutely necessary.

I'm pretty sure you, Ken, and me are the only ones within a hundred miles who play a concertina.

Thanks

Leo

Edited by Leo

I personally couldnt live without my two C# anymore. I use the pull one more than the push one but having both is a big plus, as others have stated, when you want to play some phrases more 'smoothly'. It's also useful on some triplets I think.

i like jeffries better. i also think that the Bb key is much more usable in jeffries, and i love where the pull G is on the right hand. it makes playing in Bb really easy. my next concertina will be a jeffries layout with 3 c#'s and i will miss that extra d#, i tell you that!