Slowing things down a little

LDT

Thought I'd start a new thread to stop the other one getting taken over...

I read on The Session that Slowdowner is working against natural selection in music.

It's as if zebras were slowed down and Lions didn't have to run so fast! Does it make it all too easy?. Mind you dots are the ultimate slowdowner aren't they?

comments please.

I always assumed that the ultimate slow-downer was playing Dave Swarbrick LPs at 16 r.p.m. on a Dansette Bermuda. :)

If you had a friend who slowed down the tune for you to learn, is that against nature too?

That's probably like hunting in a pack. lol! ;)

If you had a friend who slowed down the tune for you to learn, is that against nature too?

(Tongue in cheek mode on)

Of course. And Noel Hill workshops are too, you have to be able to take the tune at flight past!

And you're not allowed to play irish music if you're not irish, because there's no celtic blood running through your veins....

(Tongue in cheek mode off)

I'm bored of hearing such statements. When some irish heard to me play irish music in my country, I had to 'justify' myself telling that i'm from northern spanish descent. Altough it's true, I reckon that the so called 'celtic' Spain has nothing to do with the isles... Trad police strikes again! <_<

Cheers,

Fer

(Tongue in cheek mode on)

Of course. And Noel Hill workshops are too, you have to be able to take the tune at flight past!

And you're not allowed to play irish music if you're not irish, because there's no celtic blood running through your veins....

(Tongue in cheek mode off)

I'm bored of hearing such statements. When some irish heard to me play irish music in my country, I had to 'justify' myself telling that i'm from northern spanish descent. Altough it's true, I reckon that the so called 'celtic' Spain has nothing to do with the isles... Trad police strikes again! <_<

Cheers,

Fer

Places historian head on. Many if not most modern historians think it likely that Celtic culture was spread, due to its prestige, as a way of dressing, weaponry, language and so on but not ethnically. If you add that to the fairly recent discovery that Dublin was not founded by the Vikings but Saxons... And so on.

Ian

if you could only play music if you had a connection to a place people.....I'd be able to play quite a varied range with my ancestry.

Irish, Dutch, West Country (Devon), Yorkshire, Liverpool, London and (allegedly) [spanish] Gypsy. ;)

Places historian head on. Many if not most modern historians think it likely that Celtic culture was spread, due to its prestige, as a way of dressing, weaponry, language and so on but not ethnically. If you add that to the fairly recent discovery that Dublin was not founded by the Vikings but Saxons... And so on.

Ian

Precisely. I've the book 'The Northern Fiddler' and there's pointed that western european music was very similar in the pre-industrial revolution age.

So, what the heck has to do irish music with celts?

Cheers,

Fer

if you could only play music if you had a connection to a place people.....I'd be able to play quite a varied range with my ancestry.

Irish, Dutch, West Country (Devon), Yorkshire, Liverpool, London and (allegedly) [spanish] Gypsy. ;)

Here we go again! Do you realize that I never go out of my home without my bullfighting suit and my guitar? :rolleyes: ;)

Honestly, if you want to know something else about the true traditional spanish music - much more varied and less archetypical than Flameco - then please, buy/borrow/steal the Alan Lomax album about Spain. Seriously, it's priceless. :)

Cheers,

Fer

Here we go again! Do you realize that I never go out of my home without my bullfighting suit and my guitar? :rolleyes: ;)

I didn't mention anything about bullfighting or guitar ;)

But now you mention it how do you fight a bull with a guitar? :lol: :P

Edited by LDT

I didn't mention anything about bullfighting or guitar ;)

But now you mention it how do you fight a bull with a guitar? :lol: :P

Playing flamenco until the poor beast is scared to death! :lol:

Cheers,

Fer

Hi Guys

And I seriously thought bull fighting was a Mexican sport, and in Europe they only let the bulls run through the streets. I didn't know that. :blink:

Really :(

Thanks

Leo

Hi Guys

And I seriously thought bull fighting was a Mexican sport, and in Europe they only let the bulls run through the streets. I didn't know that. :blink:

Thanks

Leo

You're welcome, Leo.

That's indeed, a popular misconception. The arquetype of Spain in Europe is precisely, that one of the bullfighter and the guitar. In the same way, a lot of spaniards still believe that english people always wear bowler hat, briefcase and cup of tea, dutch people spent their time planting tulips and smoking joints & north american are all cowboys. :lol:

The festivity you refer to is San Fermin, the 7th July in Pamplona, north Spain. The funny thing is that the TV doesn't show that the bulls finish their run right into the bullfighting ring <_<

BTW, the only thing we share with mexican people nowadays is languaje. And not even, the accents are as different - if not more - as british and american english.

Cheers,

Fer

Hi Guys

Thanks

Leo

You're welcome, Leo.

That's indeed, a popular misconception. The arquetype of Spain in Europe is precisely, that one of the bullfighter and the guitar. In the same way, a lot of spaniards still believe that english people always wear bowler hat, briefcase and cup of tea, dutch people spent their time planting tulips and smoking joints & north american are all cowboys. :lol:

The festivity you refer to is San Fermin, the 7th July in Pamplona, north Spain. The funny thing is that the TV doesn't show that the bulls finish their run right into the bullfighting ring <_<

BTW, the only thing we share with mexican people nowadays is languaje. And not even, the accents are as different - if not more - as british and american english.

Cheers,

Fer

Some think that the worst thing is that the bulls horns are shaved so that they are unlikely to injure the bullfighter. Making what is an already somewhat one-sided fight, a complete sham.

Ian

Some think that the worst thing is that the bulls horns are shaved so that they are unlikely to injure the bullfighter. Making what is an already somewhat one-sided fight, a complete sham.

Ian

It's not a somewhat one-sided fight, is a complete shame. Pity it's not already totally forbidden because still moves a lot of money :angry:

To me, it's too a symbol of a totally decadent period of the story of this country. But thinks are not likely to change, I'm afraid... :(

And changing subject, outside the small circle of friends who play irish music with, I'm not very found to tell I play concertina... here is seen more or like as 'clowncertina' or a funny toy... heck of peasants :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Fer

And changing subject, outside the small circle of friends who play irish music with, I'm not very found to tell I play concertina... here is seen more or like as 'clowncertina' or a funny toy... heck of peasants :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Fer

My dentist, a chap well past retirement age who appears to be and should be an educated fellow, had no idea what concertina meant; although he had heard of Wheatstone and was aware of the Wheatstone Bridge.

Ian

• 2 weeks later...